Returning member

collectingrocks

I am a lapsed member of the forum and have rejoined today. My last HbA1C was 5.6 a few years ago. I know this is "old money" so not sure what this translates to in "new money"

I've kinda fallen off the wagon in the last few years and being of a certain age with plenty of belly fat, the fear of possible Type 2 has kicked back in again.

Is the fasting glucose test still done these days? And is it reliable?

I've had the odd carb-rich meal and within minutes have fallen asleep due to sudden fatigue. I know I haven't been sleeping well at times but wonder if this is reactive hypoglycaemia and if this is a precursor to Type 2 diabetes?

Reactions: Freema

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome back, @collectingrocks !
I've had the odd carb-rich meal and within minutes have fallen asleep due to sudden fatigue.
We can't diagnose here, but as it happened shortly after eating it sounds more like fatigue from you bg going up than like a hypo. No way to tell for sure without testing though.

Why not visit your GP to ask for a test?

Good luck!

collectingrocks

I did consider high BG initially. I visited a relative where we had chip shop fish and chips. I did have lashings of vinegar. I also had a very small glass of Prosecco (literally two small mouthfuls) and normally, I would not have any reaction. I was lacking in sleep however due to a recent bereavement

I do intend visiting my GP when I'm able. I used to have friends working in bloods where I could just walk in and have an FGT done but they have all left :(

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a lapsed member of the forum and have rejoined today. My last HbA1C was 5.6 a few years ago. I know this is "old money" so not sure what this translates to in "new money"

Welcome back @collectingrocks an HbA1c of 5.6 % translates to 37.7

Definitely sounds like a trip to the doctor would be useful. Do you have a blood glucose meter you can use in the meantime?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
An hba1c would be more useful than a fasting blood test, in my opinion... And a doctor could do a spot blood sugar test at the surgery....
Best to bite the bullet and just go to see your doctor.

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @collectingrocks the doctor is the person who can help.
Did you have a formal diagnosis of diabetes before?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) isn't done much these days as the HBa1C does a good job. A fasting glucose check isn't that much use due to the overnight liver dump so rely either on an HBA1C or a few meter tests 2 hours after a typical meal. The local pharmacy may be able to do finger prick tests or see the GP of course. An HBa1C of 5.6% is fine

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I've kinda fallen off the wagon in the last few years and being of a certain age with plenty of belly fat, the fear of possible Type 2 has kicked back in again.

Is the fasting glucose test still done these days? And is it reliable?

I've had the odd carb-rich meal and within minutes have fallen asleep due to sudden fatigue. I know I haven't been sleeping well at times but wonder if this is reactive hypoglycaemia and if this is a precursor to Type 2 diabetes?
@collectingrocks presumably you haven’t been having annual diabetic reviews. It will be good idea to see the doctor for a check up.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

collectingrocks

Thanks guys

Since my last tests and returning to normal range from prediabetic, I just got on with life content that I didn't have diabetes

Now I'm a few years older and need to take charge again

Yes, definately a trip to the GP when I can get an appointment!