Information on long term effect of teflon cannulas?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Rianne I have only been pumping since Feb BUT have had no issues at all with the teflon canulas. As has been previously mentioned, I heard a few years ago about not using damaged teflon pans BUT that would have been to do with heating the damaged pan and fumes? Really cant see that being a problem with a canula.
I hope you get to the bottom of your woes!

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Rianne seems to be a type 2 with no pump experience, sadly making jokes on your question.

Thanks, Chas C, for your considerate words. It's hard to figure out one's intentions sometimes, especially because English is not my mother tongue. I find you very supportive :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, Jaylee, for your informative mail. I just watched 'The devil we know' on youtube, on the plaintiffs agains DuPont on the former use of PFOA's and the effects of that on health, especially cancer. PFOA's are forbidden since 2015 in the US and Europe but still produced elsewhere in the world. Where it is forbidden it is replaced by Gen X, which also seems to be a carcinogen.
Ideed, with internet, it is difficult to find really thrustworthy information. There is a lot of fake news, manipulation and emotionally coloured information.
On your question about cosulting a doctor: yes, I have seen various doctors so far and had various tests. They first told me that with diabetes (for 40 years now) and - indeed - hypothyroidism for 27 years now), my joint problems were more prevalent/normal.... But even of these illnesses we still do not know what causes it really.
If teflon/PFOA/C8/GenX are in our drinking water and affects people, what if I place it in my body every day with a canula.
They've sent me home for two years that it is osteoarthritis, but it worsens too quickly and I insisted to take me serious and look at the röntgen and MRI's real good. And now they confirm that these imaging materials really do not give a conclusion of osteoarthritis. Therefore I now have a PET-scan. But, as said, I have no idea what can be seen on those. Parallel I am thus checking with you all. Without wanting to harrass you with worries. But still maybe help you all to stay alert of what we are having prescribed/used for our 'health'.

Hi again,

I empathise with your health issue. As a non pumper I can only hope experience help and advice can come from those who do pump, & supprt your query by tagging in fellow pump users.
Hopefully "bump" your thread too?

I've had a look around regarding canula site allergies on the forum, but have only found skin issues regarding the adhesive causing localised skin rashes..
My guess, any possible "toxins" from a Teflon canula would cause an immediate reaction at the point of entry, if it was the Teflon being an issue?
But this is only supposition..

I've been diabetic for 43 years I've had the occaisional "frozen shoulder" & pulled the odd muscle. But that's to be expected for a half century guy.
Best wishes finding an answer, but please don't discount other possible causation too...

Maybe talk with your team regarding changing the type of canula used?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's hard to figure out one's intentions sometimes, especially because English is not my mother tongue.
I'm Dutch as well, and I found it works very well to just ask on the thread when something isn't completely clear because of the language. Luckily, this is not Facebook and people won't make fun about it (unless you inadvertently said something particularly funny, but they'll explain that too so you can laugh with them). Instead, people will fall over themselves (that is an English expression, isn't it?) to help you out and explain the finer points of the langauge :)
Thanks for that, folks!

Reactions: Chas C

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm Dutch as well, and I found it works very well to just ask on the thread when something isn't completely clear because of the language. Luckily, this is not Facebook and people won't make fun about it (unless you inadvertently said something particularly funny, but they'll explain that too so you can laugh with them). Instead, people will fall over themselves (that is an English expression, isn't it?) to help you out and explain the finer points of the langauge :)
Thanks for that, folks!

"Fall over themselves." "Go out of the way." "Offer a helping hand." "Comunity spirited." Just being, kind. :)

Reactions: Chas C

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi again,

I empathise with your health issue. As a non pumper I can only hope experience help and advice can come from those who do pump, & supprt your query by tagging in fellow pump users.
Hopefully "bump" your thread too?

I've had a look around regarding canula site allergies on the forum, but have only found skin issues regarding the adhesive causing localised skin rashes..
My guess, any possible "toxins" from a Teflon canula would cause an immediate reaction at the point of entry, if it was the Teflon being an issue?
But this is only supposition..

I've been diabetic for 43 years I've had the occaisional "frozen shoulder" & pulled the odd muscle. But that's to be expected for a half century guy.
Best wishes finding an answer, but please don't discount other possible causation too...

Maybe talk with your team regarding changing the type of canula used?

Hi Jaylee,

Sorry to hear about your 'frozen shoulder'. That meant great discomfort and immobility with your arm/shoulder, I assume? By 'pulled' do you mean that a muscle has been removed?? How is your shoulder/arm now?

I have come to the same information as you so far as well: only immediate reactions to teflon canulas. I am 'researching' the long term effect because I have already tried so many other things that could cause any joint/muscle/deformity-problems. I started with physiotherapy, chiropractitioner, tried all kinds of supplements, changed from vegan to vegetarian, tried keto, changed to LCHF, tried accupuncture, stopped using anything that could penetrate unhealthy chemicals in my skin (shampoos, conditioners, sunscreens, perfume, deodorant etc.), wear gloves when working with my hands, special attention to finetune my thyroid medication, ergotherapy, more physiotherapy, reflexology, glutenfree.... no improvement.... Tested and negative for any vitamine or mineral deficiencies, reumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, systemic sclerosis, thoracic outlet syndrome.... Happy I do not have any of these of course! But after all these efforts I finally came to the thought that teflon could be a possible long term concealed cause of a toxic that accumulates in the body and is difficult to get rid of... Changed to steal canulas 3 months ago.

Of course I might have a blind spot for or unawareness of something, If any of you sees something I oversee, you're very welcome to share your thoughts!

Thanks, once more, Jaylee!!

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been pumping for 19 years and 2years with abbott sensers, no problems with Teflon, lots of aches and pains but that is all to do with my auto immune problems which I have plenty

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been pumping for 19 years and 2years with abbott sensers, no problems with Teflon, lots of aches and pains but that is all to do with my auto immune problems which I have plenty

Hi Peter03,

Thanks for sharing your long term experience with teflon. Glad to hear that they do not cause you any problems :).
Would you like to tell what kind of aches and pains and auto-immune problems you are having? Maybe I find it informative/educational/helpful.
Feel free!

agwagw

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Many sympathies.

I know if PTFE is heated to extremely high temperatures and the fume inhaled it can give 'flu-like symptoms, but I have not heard of any issues at body temperature.

If your joints are not showing signs of damage have the medics thought about fibromyalgia? Just a thought, not a diagnosis of course.

I hope the issue is resolved soon.

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Many sympathies.

I know if PTFE is heated to extremely high temperatures and the fume inhaled it can give 'flu-like symptoms, but I have not heard of any issues at body temperature.

If your joints are not showing signs of damage have the medics thought about fibromyalgia? Just a thought, not a diagnosis of course.

I hope the issue is resolved soon.

Thanks, agwagw, for sharing your thoughts on PTFE and fibromyalgia. No damage visible on radiological imagery, but on the outside my hands look like progressed (osteo)arthritis and causes the same limitations in using my hands. The thickening of the joints feels very bony. According to the reumatologist and what I've found on the internet fibromyalgia affects the weak tissues. But maybe I have some strange mixed tissue disorder.
Do you have fibromyalgia yourself? And if yes, have you found something to improve your condition?

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
I think the concern for Teflon / PTFE was based on it peeling off from hot fry pans etc. The uber thin Teflon coating on a cannula is not likely to come off or poison you in the 2/3 days it's in you. You'll be fine.

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, aphex2k, for trying to reassure me. That's very kind of you.

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

Just want to let you know that I have had the result today of the PET/CT-scan that was taken. There are no signs of anything weird regarding my fingers/hands on the scan. It does, however, not match the outer look of my fingers/hands. The reumatologist is puzzled and cannot help me. He will make a referral to see an immunologist.

Thanks, all, for your efforts to support/help me with my quest.

agwagw

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, agwagw, for sharing your thoughts on PTFE and fibromyalgia. No damage visible on radiological imagery, but on the outside my hands look like progressed (osteo)arthritis and causes the same limitations in using my hands. The thickening of the joints feels very bony. According to the reumatologist and what I've found on the internet fibromyalgia affects the weak tissues. But maybe I have some strange mixed tissue disorder.
Do you have fibromyalgia yourself? And if yes, have you found something to improve your condition?
Hi Rianne, No I don't have fibromyalgia - I heard about it from the news when Kirsty Young left the radio programme she was host for, some of the symptoms sounded a bit like what you described. Hope the immunologist helps!

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
AH AH
great sense of humour great to see it takes us all to a better place
and i only use STEEL just could not get on with teflon bend and not as good
. in my mind had some steel on an operation for 7 days all good but i am an old stick in mud type OR AS SOME would say DINSORUSSES rex
o well have a great weekend hot hot hot suncream on all
vic 63years on insulin millions of steel needles used to achieve this .....bye all

Reactions: porl69