Raspberry essence? Anyone used this?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I am on my way to try and perfect a fruit jelly made with cream.

I tried sugar free jelly, but I just can't abide the after taste of artificial sweeteners.

The last effort used beef gelatin and a tin or raspberries which conveniently made up to 300 ml to go with the 300 ml of double cream.
This was very nice, but the flavour was a little mild.
I was wondering if anyone had used fruit essences (as opposed to flavourings) in making deserts?
Some raspberry essence might give it enough extra flavour to be even nicer.

I do have some vegetable gelatin (if that is the correct description) which I will try in a future effort.

I selected raspberries as they seemed to be the lowest sugar of the tinned fruit I could find.
If anyone knows of another tinned fruit which is also low in sugar and high in flavour I would be very interested.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never used raspberry essence but couldn't you use fresh/frozen rasp and condense them down with cooking to lose the water and gain more flavour? Also that would help strain out the seeds..
I don't think the essence will contain any "raspberry" as such.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Never used raspberry essence but couldn't you use fresh/frozen rasp and condense them down with cooking to lose the water and gain more flavour? Also that would help strain out the seeds..
I don't think the essence will contain any "raspberry" as such.

"Essence" is supposed to be from the real fruit, whilst "flavouring" can be made from almost anything.

Just checking for real world experience before shopping.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven’t used a raspberry one (but would be interested to hear where you get it from?), but I have used lemon and orange ‘extract’ rather than essence, they work well as you can adjust how strong a flavour you want without adding any carbs.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Essence" is supposed to be from the real fruit, whilst "flavouring" can be made from almost anything.

Just checking for real world experience before shopping.
I looked at some of the essence ingredients.. seemed to be mainly "flavouring" which Im guessing could be anything.. maybe raspberries but maybe not..

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I tried sugar free jelly, but I just can't abide the after taste of artificial sweeteners.

The last effort used beef gelatin and a tin or raspberries which conveniently made up to 300 ml to go with the 300 ml of double cream.
I was wondering if anyone had used fruit essences (as opposed to flavourings) in making deserts?

I do have some vegetable gelatin (if that is the correct description) which I will try in a future effort.

I selected raspberries as they seemed to be the lowest sugar of the tinned fruit I could find.
If anyone knows of another tinned fruit which is also low in sugar and high in flavour I would be very interested.

On my "must try sometime" list is to dehydrate raspberries, then pulverise into a powder. I have sort of rejected the idea of putting the dessicated rasps through the spice blender, as my feeling is the pipps could bring an unwanted flavour to the mix.

Once done, I'm thinking the flavour will be incredibly intense, and the colour very red.

Freeze dried raspberries are probably out there somewhere.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I tried to make keto raspberry ripple ice cream but made a hash of it. However for the ripple this involved running some raspberries through a sieve to capture the juices.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From a keto raspberry ripple recipe:

1. In a saucepan add the raspberries plus 1 tbsp of truvia or 2 tbsp sugar and simmer gently for about 5 minutes or until the raspberries have turned mushy and the sugar has been dissolved.
  2. With the back of a spoon, push the raspberry sauce through a sieve into a bowl and discard the leftover seeds. In the bowl, add the rosewater and 1/2 tsp of the vanilla paste or extract, mix together and taste, adding more truvia/sugar if needed.
This was close to the one I followed. But I guess the method can be adapted to suit...

In my case I used Truvia but you might not want to add any sweetening agent at all.