What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 thanks for rhinking of me with all that is all encompassing in your life. I think if my ‘first half of day’ levels dont improve soon I will think of trialing a Libre for info. I suppose I have been stressed about my friends (in remission) cancer (she is like a sister to me and part of our family) but I certainly havent realised it. But going up and down to Kent and sorting things out for her in the last week or so maybe? Who knows...Diabetes is likes to throw a curved ball. You manage it so well and are very inspiring to me. Thank you.
Awwh thank you @PenguinMum - stress may well be implicated for you if you are travelling, sorting and caring. One morning a couple of weeks ago during very stressful morning I recorded a 9 after a stressful incident - no food involved! - and I do go very low overnight when sleeping and relaxed plus can put my bgs down by at least one point with mindfulness......... I wouldn’t have spotted these patterns with finger pricking as tendedto do mainly before and afterfood and rarely react to foodanymore!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: gouda and chorizo rollitos with leafy salad and two orange rapture tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: cauliflower and broccoli cheese with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Viv19

I just start my yog with some whey from the last batch. From memory, pasturised milk is much less common in Germany?

From your earlier post, I thought you had made the icecream in the IP. I couldn't quite get how that would work!

The IP is pretty magical but I’m not sure how it could make ice cream. ;))
There’s all variations of milk here, pasteurised, UHT, mountain pasture, bio.
I’ll have to see if I can find a UHT organic lactose free milk (because I’m too lazy to heat it up and cool and ....) it seems unlikely though. The Aldi milk (lactose free UHT) was doing the job so well- until it didn’t. :((

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The IP is pretty magical but I’m not sure how it could make ice cream. ;))
There’s all variations of milk here, pasteurised, UHT, mountain pasture, bio.
I’ll have to see if I can find a UHT organic lactose free milk (because I’m too lazy to heat it up and cool and ....) it seems unlikely though. The Aldi milk (lactose free UHT) was doing the job so well- until it didn’t. :((

Yes, I much prefer the no-boil method.

Is it worth picking up some from a different batch of milk, in case you just got a bit unlucky?

It's so annoying when something goes wonky for no apparent reason.

Viv19

@shelley262 and &DJC3 you seem to live in really lovely areas of the country. Not that I’m very well travelled in the UK. I know other places better than my own country.

What did I eat today.
Tea
2 slices LC bread with cheese, assorted
Yoghurt with berries
Tea
Some yoghurt choc ice
Evening white wine spritzer
Salad nicoise,, more white wine
More choc ice
Tea

No 2 daughter from Australia is visiting No3 then flying to Germany to see us and her older sister. Only a few days but better than nothing. She hadn’t managed to visit her younger sister yet, and now hasn’t much holiday since she finally has finished her (second) degree and has a new job with not huge amounts of holidays. We will have to plan our next trip down under.
No 1 is funny. Her sister flies in on Thursday, leaving Saturday. We’re staying in an hotel near to No 1’s apartment. So we will have dinner together on Friday (it’s son in law’s birthday) I suggested to No 1 that we could find another restaurant for Thursday. No, that’s not possible. I eat at work. Well couldn’t you have a snack instead and eat with us in the evening? No I’m already doing that on Friday, I can’t do it two days. Adaptable is not her middle name.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
[QUOTE="shelley262, post: 2117464, member: 455169"@Annb life sounds complex for you at times and know how difficult it is with an adult autistic son. At least being diagnosed even at an older adult age you can maybe understand things a bit more. Our son was diagnosed in his 20s and it does help us to cope better at times knowing why.... interesting isn’t it the link between autoimmune diseases all very prevalent in our wider family - crohns, asthma, eczema, autism etc./QUOTE]

I am so lucky to have my son. He is very clever but very difficult for many people to cope with. I have no problems with him though; in fact he is a major problem solver in the lives of all the family. Anything practical, he can fix, most DIY jobs he can do. He even totally renovated a house for his younger brother and family. The other day, one of the children's toys was not working and my daughter-in-law told my GDaughter "Take it to Uncle Neil, he's the cleverest person I know." The only thing is, he is unable to appreciate other people's point of view or accept advice, especially on what to eat. His diet is very high in carbs and he is vegan but there are so many foods he can't eat due to his allergies/intolerances. He has suffered with eczema since he started teething and from then on developed more and more allergies. He cannot take any kind of animal protein (apart from salted oily fish once in a while) and can't take any kind of sweetener/sugar. Very restricted but his strength of will is amazing. I don't know what I'd do without him.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Barbequed steak, salad with chopped capsicum and kimchi mixed in.
Dinner: Chicken curry.
Breakfast: Usual omelette, bacon, tomatoes, spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee, water.

Grandson got the stitches out of his arm yesterday, it healed up nicely and a interesting scar to brag about.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
20-08-19 have managed to maintain control of carbs, although gone slightly overboard on alcohol, did not give in and join in the late night biscuit party. Later when makibg bedtime tea did have slice of cheese and fingerful of pâté.
So today: breakfast: small slice of melon
Lunch: ham and melon, pâté, cherry tomatoes from garden, cucumber and carrot sticks, hommous, boiled egg, tiny bit of cheese. Couple of radish. Water to drink.
Took girls out this afternoon, to a labyrinthe, about 6k steps, then shopping, home, cooking
Dinner chicken thighs, one piece of potato, carrots, petit pois, roasted courgette and peppers. With dark chocolate and caramel salted butter ice cream after. Carefully measured portion about 17g carbs. Drenched in cream. Plenty wine, small slice of cheese, tiny bit of pâté - more because I was feeling left out, than hungry.
Won the train game by a mile. Third time in a row. SON2 ( whose game it is) claims it's his excellent explanation of the rules -except it was my daughter who read them out.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="shelley262, post: 2117464, member: 455169"@Annb life sounds complex for you at times and know how difficult it is with an adult autistic son. At least being diagnosed even at an older adult age you can maybe understand things a bit more. Our son was diagnosed in his 20s and it does help us to cope better at times knowing why.... interesting isn’t it the link between autoimmune diseases all very prevalent in our wider family - crohns, asthma, eczema, autism etc./QUOTE]

I am so lucky to have my son. He is very clever but very difficult for many people to cope with. I have no problems with him though; in fact he is a major problem solver in the lives of all the family. Anything practical, he can fix, most DIY jobs he can do. He even totally renovated a house for his younger brother and family. The other day, one of the children's toys was not working and my daughter-in-law told my GDaughter "Take it to Uncle Neil, he's the cleverest person I know." The only thing is, he is unable to appreciate other people's point of view or accept advice, especially on what to eat. His diet is very high in carbs and he is vegan but there are so many foods he can't eat due to his allergies/intolerances. He has suffered with eczema since he started teething and from then on developed more and more allergies. He cannot take any kind of animal protein (apart from salted oily fish once in a while) and can't take any kind of sweetener/sugar. Very restricted but his strength of will is amazing. I don't know what I'd do without him.
Your son sounds like a very valuable person to have around .

Reactions: Viv19

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterdays food
Breakfast: slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: a the pub with two friends, planned to have a side salad but they offered to make me an omelette with it which they remembered I had on previous visit.
Supper: left over roasted meg veg, a few berries.
Tea, water and G &ST.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria it is hard sometimes this thread for being tempted - I had to chase up my low carb cakesthis afternoon as still not dispatched and they have promised to bake and post tomorrow with next day delivery

@shelley262 can you remember what date you placed the order, and how long you have been waiting?
I ordered last Wednesday, and keep meaning to go to the website and see what delay they say is likely...

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

It's been a long time since I was last on this thread. Was quite busy with work and decided to take a break posting:bigtears:. To be honest I missed y'all a lot.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and eryhritol. A Wiener sausage made from chicken. A DD keto roll (fresh from the oven) with butter and bresaola.

Lunch: Another DD roll with butter. A small homemade bounty bar (looks horrible, but tastes nice).

Dinner: Yet another DD keto roll with butter and a tin of chicken liver pate. A glass of red wine.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: A small ribeye steak (120g), lupin hummus and an avocado. A small homemade bounty bar.

Dinner: Lamb's lettuce with ranch dressing and shredded gouda. Half a DD keto roll with butter. A bowl of homemade soup (vegetables, a few black beens and oxtail). A glass of red wine.

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good or Bad, today I have had 2 poached eggs 1 rasher of bacon 1 slice of brown bread for breakkie,
Lunch was 2 seeded ryvita with Philadelphia 1 slice of oak smoked ham and a handful of blueberries and strawberries, as I'm new to this I'm trying to work out if the is low enough carbs.

Hi @jicjacs,

Your meals sound pretty good to me. Eggs, bacon, Philadelphia cheese, smoked ham, and strawberries are great. You might consider dropping the brown bread (it is similar to white break as far as your blood sugars are concerned). How many carbs does the ryvita have?

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 can you remember what date you placed the order, and how long you have been waiting?
I ordered last Wednesday, and keep meaning to go to the website and see what delay they say is likely...
Hi @Brunneria i ordered at 10.15am last Wednesday and messaged them yesterday afternoon they promised next day delivery and had messageto say have been shipped about two hours ago so live in hope! I’d talk to them they are very helpful good luck

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ziggy_w
Per 100g 55.7
Per slice 5.8
It's the multi grain rye ryvita, was not sure if this was good or not, but I'm a bread person love toast so trying to find alternatives..
Why not try the Hilo low carb breadfrom Sainsbury’s or the livlife from Waitrose/ocado if missing bread? Would recommend if you live near one of these. I freeze the Hilo andjust have a slice at a time 5g of carb. I separate slices with a bit of grease proof paper - small square - and put back in wrapper then take slice out at a time and toast from frozen. Livlife is lower in carb but thinner think Hilo toasts better hope this helps

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

It's been a long time since I was last on this thread. Was quite busy with work and decided to take a break posting:bigtears:. To be honest I missed y'all a lot.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and eryhritol. A Wiener sausage made from chicken. A DD keto roll (fresh from the oven) with butter and bresaola.

Lunch: Another DD roll with butter. A small homemade bounty bar (looks horrible, but tastes nice).

Dinner: Yet another DD keto roll with butter and a tin of chicken liver pate. A glass of red wine.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: A small ribeye steak (120g), lupin hummus and an avocado. A small homemade bounty bar.

Dinner: Lamb's lettuce with ranch dressing and shredded gouda. Half a DD keto roll with butter. A bowl of homemade soup (vegetables, a few black beens and oxtail). A glass of red wine.
Cor you’ve been so missed great to see you back. X

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ziggy_w
Per 100g 55.7
Per slice 5.8
It's the multi grain rye ryvita, was not sure if this was good or not, but I'm a bread person love toast so trying to find alternatives..

Hi @jicjacs,

Did you have a look at high protein breads? Maybe some of the others can help as to which brands are available in Britain? I seem to remember there's a Hi-Lo brand. (I am in Germany, so the selection is quite different.)

If you are into making your own stuff, there are also some recipes on the dietdoctor.com website, such as keto bread or keto seed crackers. Both are about 2g to 5g per 100g.

Edited to add: Note to self -- read all the post before replying. Excellent advice from @shelley262.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55