Type 1'stars R Us

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel like we are one big family with all the cattos and dogos, oh I love them all and including our new friend the fluffy squirrel :D

Reactions: Fairygodmother

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ert I would say do not get too hung up on what they are asking you to do. Play along and prove that you are correct. Or just revert back to your own management at weeks end. (I always smile politely, engage, nod my head, but ultimately do exactly as I like. Mantra-it is my diabetes!) Just because people suggest things doesn’t mean you have to do them. DAFNE is the gateway to lots of other things in the diabetes world.
Once done, it is proof on your records that you have completed an
educational course.
At the moment you are still honeymooning, this may last for years or come to an abrupt halt in a few weeks. Your management will change yet again. Anything you can learn will help with that.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I feel like we are one big family with all the cattos and dogos, oh I love them all and including our new friend the fluffy squirrel :D

Sadly I ripped down the squirrel’s route to the window feeder, an abundant Virginia creeper, when a lovely, intelligent, fearless young rat turned up there. It was a beautiful creature but I didn’t want it and its family climbing in through the bedroom window. They say we’re always a few feet away from a rat, more of them than us, but I didn’t want it that close. Am I prejudiced? They can chew through pipes and cables - powerless in floodland.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
An unusual extended LO last night. A bit disconcerting as I usually wake when low. Dealt with now. Maybe it was all the excitement of finally posting a pic and the emotional overload of everyone’s gorgeous dogs and cats.
Hope you get good news today on the job front @MeiChanski.
And about your pump Karen.
Have a good one everyone.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning chaps, I’m getting up earlier to get back into the habit before uni starts. Good solid eight hours last night according to my Fitbit, BG was up and down a bit but in range, so no alarms to wake me. Off to the hospital this morning for a MaxFac appointment about my trigeminal neuralgia, which is hardly bothering me these days - there’s a lot to be said for normal blood sugars and reversing neuropathy. Going to see if I can go to annual checks rather than biannual, as I’m going to be BUSY. Clear blue skies here in the Rhondda, looks like it might be nice day.

@ert - they don’t often believe that anyone has the correct ratios when they start - I’d go along with it for now as it’s the gateway to stuff like CGM and pumps etc. You can always go back to what you know works for you after the week is over.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Fairygodmother
That’s understandable, I know squirrels like to nibble. Not prejudice at all, we can admire them from a distance. :) Thank you, I hope to hear back from someone. I know some jobs take months to get back to someone.

Last edited:
Reactions: porl69 and Marie 2

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know any type 1s that are on slow acting insulin like actrapid? Or is the majority on ultra fast or fast acting insulin? I’m just curious to know if it’s better for low carb type 1s.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Does anyone know any type 1s that are on slow acting insulin like actrapid? Or is the majority on ultra fast or fast acting insulin? I’m just curious to know if it’s better for low carb type 1s.

How low is your low carb? What kind of carb? I found novo was frustrating, even for meals with only 20g carb, as the slow action meant I was pre-bolusing much earlier than was always practicable. Some slow acting carbs such as brown rice and pulses I’ll still need a split bolus.
I’m really glad I swopped to Fiasp, but of course we’re all different . . .

Last edited:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How low is your low carb? What kind of carb? I found novo was frustrating, even for meals with only 20g carb, as the slow action meant I was pre-bolusing much earlier than was always practicable. Some slow acting carbs such as brown rice and pulses I’ll still need a split bolus.
I’m really glad I stopped to Fiasp, but of course we’re all different . . .

According to libre view, I’m around 140g or less. Novorapid was too slow for carby meals such as takeouts and rice and noodles and high blood readings, it seems okay for things like beans and lentils and absolute nightmare for sweets and biscuits. But still takes too long :(
Fiasp was better for those but too hardcore for my partial routine of iced coffee, yogurt and berries, chick peas and salad. I felt 0.5 with fiasp is too much. I was prescribed fiasp because I told my consultant that I waited 40-45 mins for my blood sugar to come down and eat. Of course if my blood sugar was between 7-9, fiasp and low carb isn’t too bad. But for the lower end 4-6 I might need to add around 10g of carb so I don’t drop like a plank.
I’m curious to know if slow acting insulin such as humulin S or actrapid is better for low carbers, particularly those who eat 50-100g a day and if they just save fast acting for corrections.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m curious to know if slow acting insulin such as humulin S or actrapid is better for low carbers, particularly those who eat 50-100g a day and if they just save fast acting for corrections.
Many of the Type 1 Grit (Bernstein low carbers) do exactly that - Actrapid for low carb, high protein meals, and a modern rapid insulin like Novorapid, Fiasp etc for corrections, often injected IM. With my pump and the facility to do extended boluses, I make it work with Novorapid. I don’t prebolus for my low carb meals, I take the dose for the carbs as I sit down to eat and then a second, extended dose for the protein component.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many of the Type 1 Grit (Bernstein low carbers) do exactly that - Actrapid for low carb, high protein meals, and a modern rapid insulin like Novorapid, Fiasp etc for corrections, often injected IM. With my pump and the facility to do extended boluses, I make it work with Novorapid. I don’t prebolus for my low carb meals, I take the dose for the carbs as I sit down to eat and then a second, extended dose for the protein component.
Ah that's interesting to know, thank you. I have learned to use fiasp for low carb when food touches my mouth and if I'm running a tad high then I wait 10 mins or so. Do you know if they still do basal insulin? I assume slow acting insulin lasts a while compared to novoraid and fiasp.

Reactions: Leeannea

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes it’s frustrating eating to doses available @MeiChanski. I think I’ve probably just got used to accepting that T1 means I sometimes have to adjust what I eat as it’s preferable to having blood sugar problems. I still really envy those who can pick and choose without calculating and selecting and dosing etc. and without having to wait until bloods are right for eating. I don’t like eating at all when bloods are above 7 as I know I’ll most likely go higher, no matter what they said at Dafne.