Help transitioning from Keto to Low Carb

Rosso Rebel

I was diagnosed with T2 in March this year with hba1c of 97 (following an eye test when I was advised to see a Dr) and like many others absolutely panicked about the possible side effects and so followed NHS guidelines of low fat eating (I also cut out any sweets and obvious carbs - potatoes, pasta bread etc) and lost a stone in weight but then didn’t lose any more
I had been reading into Keto way of eating but eating high fat was so against everything id been told - and getting no advice from any nurses I’d spoken to - it was a big leap of faith to have the courage to give it a go but at the end of the day I had nothing to lose and so I gave it a go. This has been a great success for me, losing a further 2 & a bit stone and shocking my nurse with hba1c in July of just 30! Meaning I am now in remission and not taking any meds but my LDL cholesterol is a little high at 2.5.
(HDL is good at 1.1, total is 3.7)
I’d now like to see if I can add more fibre, fruit & veg into my diet maybe slowly increasing carbs up to 75g a day whilst keeping an eye on my daily blood test which are currently at around 6 first thing in the morning but don’t really know how to work out how much fat I should eat apart from less than I’m eating now?
Sorry for the long post but felt a little context might help

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my LDL cholesterol is a little high at 2.5.

Apart from your total cholesterol being quite low.
It seems your full panel would read something like
Total 3.7
HDL 1.1
LDL 2.5
Triglycerides 0.22

Which would lead to a Trig/HDL ratio of 0.20 which is I think the lowest I have ever seen and implies you are about as far away from heart disease as anyone could be.
Not sure I'd be looking to change what I eat in any way based on those numbers.
Well done you!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would keep copious notes of what has worked to date, as a HbA1c of 30 and 0.2 trigs are just great. I would also note how you feel e.g, energetic, cognitive, happy. If you are convinced that fibre is helpful then maybe more nuts will help, and additional raspberries and strawberries for the fruit.

Dr Paul Mason has an alternative view on fibre. I have to admit increasing the stool size and effectively scraping the colon, I am not convinced about, the other potential benefit of lower blood glucose is clearly non-applicable to you, although your fbg is interesting compared to your HbA1c; you might want to experiment with a Freestyle Libre at some point to see your blood glucose lines.

Have you achieved your results without exercise.

Rosso Rebel

I would keep copious notes of what has worked to date, as a HbA1c of 30 and 0.2 trigs are just great. I would also note how you feel e.g, energetic, cognitive, happy. If you are convinced that fibre is helpful then maybe more nuts will help, and additional raspberries and strawberries for the fruit.

Dr Paul Mason has an alternative view on fibre. I have to admit increasing the stool size and effectively scraping the colon, I am not convinced about, the other potential benefit of lower blood glucose is clearly non-applicable to you, although your fbg is interesting compared to your HbA1c; you might want to experiment with a Freestyle Libre at some point to see your blood glucose lines.

Have you achieved your results without exercise.
I had always expected to need to add more variety into my diet and my lack of fibre intake and links to cancer etc led me to feeling I could achieve this by upping my carbs slightly (definitely not to pre diagnosis levels)
All achieved by diet alone, exercise is my next port of call to enhance healthier eating & tone up

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks BB - I had erroneously thought Trigs were Total Chol - HDL - LDL!
Unfortunately not.. the LDL is usually calculated using a couple of formulas that I have never really understood @Bluetit1802 knows them better than I.
Why on earth they don't just measure it I have no idea!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not the expert @bulkbiker suggested, but there are 2 formulas for calculating LDL. The one used by labs in the UK and other countries is the Friedewald equation, and the other is the Iranian study method.

The Friedewald equation: LDL = TC - HDL – TG / 2.17 (mmol/L)

The Iranian study method: LDL = TC / 1.19 + TG / 0.81 – HDL / 1.1 – 0.98 (mmol/L)

If you use both these formulas, you will see a big difference.

https://www.thecalculator.co/health/LDL-Calculator-683.html

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not the expert @bulkbiker suggested, but there are 2 formulas for calculating LDL. The one used by labs in the UK and other countries is the Friedewald equation, and the other is the Iranian study method.

The Iranian study method: LDL = TC / 1.19 + TG / 0.81 – HDL / 1.1 – 0.98 (mmol/L)

Thanks Daf!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Thomas the Tank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="R This has been a great success for me, losing a further 2 & a bit stone and shocking my nurse with hba1c in July of just 30! Meaning I am now in remission and not taking any meds but my LDL cholesterol is a little high at 2.5.
/QUOTE]
Congrats on your success!
Unless you have a hereditary Cholesterol problem then what ever your cholesterol reading, LDL,MDL,HDL or any combination makes not a jot of difference. The BS propaganda from Big Pharma to make patients of us all and increase their profits was based on 'False News' to use the words of a famous BS merchant.

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
there are 2 formulas for calculating LDL. The one used by labs in the UK and other countries is the Friedewald equation, and the other is the Iranian study method.

Many thanks - very helpful!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Hi,
For some reason, neither of these formulae come up with figures that match what my GP reported my figures to be either on the latest test or the previous one:

Figures from my GP:
April: Total 3.6 HDL 1.2 Trig 1.93 LDL 1.9 - but the Friedewald equation gives LDL of 1.51
August: Total 5.0 HDL 1.33 Trig 3.74 LDL 1.97 - but the Friedewald equation gives LDL of 1.95

Does any of this make sense?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
For some reason, neither of these formulae come up with figures that match what my GP reported my figures to be either on the latest test or the previous one:

Figures from my GP:
April: Total 3.6 HDL 1.2 Trig 1.93 LDL 1.9 - but the Friedewald equation gives LDL of 1.51
August: Total 5.0 HDL 1.33 Trig 3.74 LDL 1.97 - but the Friedewald equation gives LDL of 1.95

Does any of this make sense?

No idea why it doesn't work, but it does work on the Hughcalc calculator. http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php If you complete this but leave out the LDL, it shows you what the LDL was.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
No idea why it doesn't work, but it does work on the Hughcalc calculator. http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php If you complete this but leave out the LDL, it shows you what the LDL was.

Hi,
When I put my numbers into that calculator, I get exactly the same figures as I do in the first one you mentioned.
This is fairly close in respect to my recent numbers, but is way out for the ones from April 2019 i.e. Trigs of 1.51 versus an actual number from my GP of 1.9