Type 2 with Gastroparesis

ElizaChota

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insulin. (Takes over my life)
I finally got home from the hospital after spending ten days in there. I was on I.V fluids for 8 days. And had many tests done including the gastric emptying study which found that I have a mild form of gastroparesis. Ok, so does anyone struggle with finding what foods to eat which make it easier to process food? What if I need a feeding tube and at what point do the doctors determine you need one? Been vomiting for the full ten days and been vomiting at home too.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you’re having a very tough time @ElizaChota

Did the hospital team give you any guidance about diet or when to seek medical help if things flare up again at home? It sounds like it would be a good idea to have a chat with a doctor.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @ElizaChota Good to hear your home, but sorry to hear about your Gastroparesis, that sounds awful.

Guidance about diet from your team is important, the forum has lots of posts about it, if you do a search you'll find many others who've posted about it, hopefully this helps :)

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
I finally got home from the hospital after spending ten days in there. I was on I.V fluids for 8 days. And had many tests done including the gastric emptying study which found that I have a mild form of gastroparesis. Ok, so does anyone struggle with finding what foods to eat which make it easier to process food? What if I need a feeding tube and at what point do the doctors determine you need one? Been vomiting for the full ten days and been vomiting at home too.
That sounds so utterly horrific I really hope they can give you some information soon enough, I'm sorry that I can't help more than sending hugs!

ElizaChota

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sounds like you’re having a very tough time @ElizaChota

Did the hospital team give you any guidance about diet or when to seek medical help if things flare up again at home? It sounds like it would be a good idea to have a chat with a doctor.

No they did not. I've been given no guidance whatsoever. But my regular medical doctor and my diabetes team have told me today that they were thinking of getting me to see an Endocrinologist. To test me for type 1.5 diabetes and other things that could possibly be making my sugars run high. And my diabetes team reminded me that it wasn't my diet that was causing my high blood sugars, it was my pancreas being unreliable.

ElizaChota

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That sounds so utterly horrific I really hope they can give you some information soon enough, I'm sorry that I can't help more than sending hugs!

I appreciate the hugs so thank you. :happy:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ElizaChota - It must be good to see some light at the end of the tunnel, in terms of further investigations into your diabetes (type) and gastric issues.

I'm afraid I don't have any wisdom to offer you on the gastroparesis, but I do know @donnellysdogs has digestive issues and has undergone the gastric emptying studies etc.

I haven't seen much of @donnellysdogs for a while, but hopefully these tags will get to her.

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
@ElizaChota - It must be good to see some light at the end of the tunnel, in terms of further investigations into your diabetes (type) and gastric issues.

I'm afraid I don't have any wisdom to offer you on the gastroparesis, but I do know @donnellysdogs has digestive issues and has undergone the gastric emptying studies etc.

I haven't seen much of @donnellysdogs for a while, but hopefully these tags will get to her.

I have gastroparesis was having emergency admissions to hospital with DKA , had a brilliant gastroenterologist, who arranged gastric emptying test ( eat a special light meal then x rays in my case every 1/2 hr for 5 hrs ) they monitor how long meal takes to digest . Mine didn’t so cause of nausea and vomiting was due to stomach not empty so comes back up because it can’t go down , usually the vagus nerve is damaged , I had Botox injection to nerve , really helped was repeated every 6 - 8 mths , now if needed . I can not eat meat , nuts raw veg or anything that would take a long time to digest for a person with ‘good’ digestion , antibiotic treatments and very little effect , I also eat a soft well cooked veg , careful on cereals , and bread / toast are my trigger foods , I make a lot of home made soups .

Reactions: snidge

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
I have gastroparesis was having emergency admissions to hospital with DKA , had a brilliant gastroenterologist, who arranged gastric emptying test ( eat a special light meal then x rays in my case every 1/2 hr for 5 hrs ) they monitor how long meal takes to digest . Mine didn’t so cause of nausea and vomiting was due to stomach not empty so comes back up because it can’t go down , usually the vagus nerve is damaged , I had Botox injection to nerve , really helped was repeated every 6 - 8 mths , now if needed . I can not eat meat , nuts raw veg or anything that would take a long time to digest for a person with ‘good’ digestion , antibiotic treatments and very little effect , I also eat a soft well cooked veg , careful on cereals , and bread / toast are my trigger foods , I make a lot of home made soups .

Hope you feel better soon , it does improves as long as you avoid foods that upset you , keep a food diary as if you do have gastroparesis food you eat a week ago can be the beginning of the problem .

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a horrible time you have been undergoing. I sympathise the more as I have a milder form of gastroparesis, which sometimes makes me feel sick at the start of a meal (presumably because the previous meal is still sitting in my stomach) but I have never come near actually vomiting.

My go-to diabetes expert is the much respected Dr Bernstein, and fortunately what he has to say about gastroparesis in his book "Diabetes Solution" is also posted on his web page. It is quite long, but you might find it helpful to read:

http://www.diabetes-book.com/gastroparesis-causes-effects/

Good luck!

ElizaChota

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What a horrible time you have been undergoing. I sympathise the more as I have a milder form of gastroparesis, which sometimes makes me feel sick at the start of a meal (presumably because the previous meal is still sitting in my stomach) but I have never come near actually vomiting.

My go-to diabetes expert is the much respected Dr Bernstein, and fortunately what he has to say about gastroparesis in his book "Diabetes Solution" is also posted on his web page. It is quite long, but you might find it helpful to read:

http://www.diabetes-book.com/gastroparesis-causes-effects/

Good luck!

Aww thanks so much. And I'm sorry that you have to go through this too. And it doesn't matter the severity of your situation, it still causes a great deal of pain.