Newbie diagnosis - bit overwhelmed

KesLouise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone,

So it’s been a bit of a journey already to be honest. In 2017 I was told I was type 2 but remained so unwell with different symptoms that I kept going back to the GP and being told that I needed to have better control...

I moved to another county in January 2019 and registered with a new GP and bam - diagnosed with LADA in July following blood tests and due to having loads of the symptoms including losing lots of weight without trying.

Whilst I’m glad that I’m getting support which is great and being listened to- can’t fault it at all they’re brilliant - I’m really struggling emotionally and just feel totally overwhelmed. I just don’t know what to do with myself or where to start with dealing with the emotional side of things as I’m feeling like I don’t know what to feel and just keep crying over the smallest things that might not even be related. It’s so bizarre....really mixed emotions.

Any advice?

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum. I'm a newbie type 2 so don't have much specific advice but there are many on here and someone will be here to give you help and advice.

Just a welcome and to reassure you that the emotional struggle is real and very normal. I still have days where I really struggle. There is a lot to take in but lots of people here to listen and provide suggestions.

The first thing you may want to do is to let us know whether you have a meter If not you really should get one so that you can test regularly. The next thing is to list any medication you have been put on.

Someone else will be here shortly- in the meantime welcome!

Reactions: KesLouise

KesLouise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forum. I'm a newbie type 2 so don't have much specific advice but there are many on here and someone will be here to give you help and advice.

Just a welcome and to reassure you that the emotional struggle is real and very normal. I still have days where I really struggle. There is a lot to take in but lots of people here to listen and provide suggestions.

The first thing you may want to do is to let us know whether you have a meter If not you really should get one so that you can test regularly. The next thing is to list any medication you have been put on.

Someone else will be here shortly- in the meantime welcome!

Thanks for your reply! Really appreciate it.

So I’m taking insulin at the moment, type is due to be changed following the blood test results. I’ve also been taking metformin and sitagliptin but that seems to be changing as well now that we know what is being dealt with.

I do have a meter and I’m testing before meals and before bed - so four times a day at the moment

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I cried for about a week after diagnosis. It’s natural, it’s a grieving process, part of us has died. So crying, anger and all the rest makes sense.
In time you will recover emotionally and find that it becomes a lot easier.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Welcome, you've come to the right place.
Yes it is all a tad overwhelming at first and you will have ups and downs. But use the forums, someone will post the guidance for newbies soon enough, but are you testing two hours after a meal? It's how to find out what you are eating does to your blood glucose. The best way is to keep a list of what you've eaten and how it affects your levels. Then you will know what food you can eat and what gives you problems. I can only speak from my experience but high levels seem to match when I'm feeling down and struggling. I follow LCHF most of the time around 60 to 80 g carbohydrate but still make mistakes after three years. I am stressed at the moment as we are waiting to move house and I had a 17.8 this afternoon but I'm back to 5.3 now but I've had a rough afternoon. Tomorrow will be better, I'm determined to stay on track.
So look around the forums, see what others are coping with, test before and two hours afterwards and record what we've eaten. You'll get tons of support here, just let us know how you're getting on. It's not easy but it is doable. You are definitely in the right place.

KesLouise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome, you've come to the right place.
Yes it is all a tad overwhelming at first and you will have ups and downs. But use the forums, someone will post the guidance for newbies soon enough, but are you testing two hours after a meal? It's how to find out what you are eating does to your blood glucose. The best way is to keep a list of what you've eaten and how it affects your levels. Then you will know what food you can eat and what gives you problems. I can only speak from my experience but high levels seem to match when I'm feeling down and struggling. I follow LCHF most of the time around 60 to 80 g carbohydrate but still make mistakes after three years. I am stressed at the moment as we are waiting to move house and I had a 17.8 this afternoon but I'm back to 5.3 now but I've had a rough afternoon. Tomorrow will be better, I'm determined to stay on track.
So look around the forums, see what others are coping with, test before and two hours afterwards and record what we've eaten. You'll get tons of support here, just let us know how you're getting on. It's not easy but it is doable. You are definitely in the right place.

I’ve had some high readings as well over the last day or so which I think might be due to stress more than anything that I’ve changed with my eating.

I just feel very mixed emotions and not sure how to cope with them.

I will make sure I’m testing like you said, that’s good.

I tried to just carry on with everything and add what I was being advised to do in but I’ve just become really stressed, down and anxious

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
I’ve had some high readings as well over the last day or so which I think might be due to stress more than anything that I’ve changed with my eating.

I just feel very mixed emotions and not sure how to cope with them.

I will make sure I’m testing like you said, that’s good.

I tried to just carry on with everything and add what I was being advised to do in but I’ve just become really stressed, down and anxious
It can become a bit of a viscous circle, you feel down, you binge on something, ice cream is my go to comfort food, you then feel down because you've strayed off course. As Scarlet said said tomorrow is another day and I will be back on track. And if not someone somewhere on the forums will post something that helps. Mind you a moving date would help as well!

KesLouise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It can become a bit of a viscous circle, you feel down, you binge on something, ice cream is my go to comfort food, you then feel down because you've strayed off course. As Scarlet said said tomorrow is another day and I will be back on track. And if not someone somewhere on the forums will post something that helps. Mind you a moving date would help as well!

Yeah I bet it would!

I’m glad I found the forum and that the health professionals I’m seeing are very helpful.

Haven’t really had a problem with bingeing I guess I’m worried about what to eat and anxious about it causing my levels to be high. I feel like I’m being strict on myself because I’m worried.

I haven’t experienced a hypo yet which is something else I’m worried about.

There’s so much to learn! But I’ll get there hopefully

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You need to keep fast acting glucose close at hand so by the bed, in your handbag etc. Glucose tabs, dextrose tabs or jelly babies. Full sugar coke or fruit juice work well too.
Treat, wait for 15 mins and test to see if it has gone up. Amounts to consume depend on hypo severity and individual response but say 3 jelly babies as a start 15g carbs.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
are you testing two hours after a meal? It's how to find out what you are eating does to your blood glucose. The best way is to keep a list of what you've eaten and how it affects your levels. Then you will know what food you can eat and what gives you problems.
For T1's the testing before and after has more to do with seeing if you took the right dose of mealtime insulin for your food. But I agree with the list keeping and the testing, it will help you with your dosing and choosing foods in the future, @KesLouise .

For now it's perfectly fine to have confusing emotions about it. Have you ever lost a loved one? That messes with your mind in comparable ways for many of us and it's expected and normal. It takes time to get used to new situations, if you need that time than so be it.

What helped me a lot after diagnosis was reading about all of this forum and a lot of other things about diabetes so I became my own expert. It gave me back control over the situation, even when I can't always understand why my sugars are high or low.

Take your time learning and mourning, things will look different a year from now, and most likely way better!
I haven’t experienced a hypo yet which is something else I’m worried about.
Make sure you always have your meter with you and some quick acting carbs (juice, dextro tabs, soft sweets, coke, whatever you prefer)! That means next to your bed and in your pocket, not downstairs or in the car. You'll handle your first hypo (and probably overtreat it like we all did ;) )

Good luck!

KesLouise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For T1's the testing before and after has more to do with seeing if you took the right dose of mealtime insulin for your food. But I agree with the list keeping and the testing, it will help you with your dosing and choosing foods in the future, @KesLouise .

For now it's perfectly fine to have confusing emotions about it. Have you ever lost a loved one? That messes with your mind in comparable ways for many of us and it's expected and normal. It takes time to get used to new situations, if you need that time than so be it.

What helped me a lot after diagnosis was reading about all of this forum and a lot of other things about diabetes so I became my own expert. It gave me back control over the situation, even when I can't always understand why my sugars are high or low.

Take your time learning and mourning, things will look different a year from now, and most likely way better!

Make sure you always have your meter with you and some quick acting carbs (juice, dextro tabs, soft sweets, coke, whatever you prefer)! That means next to your bed and in your pocket, not downstairs or in the car. You'll handle your first hypo (and probably overtreat it like we all did ;) )

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the tips.
It’s going to be a steep learning curve but I already feel like there is support out there and feel heartened by this and people’s comments

Just need some time to get used to things :)

KesLouise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Diakat

There is lots to learn about diabetes and I am sure I have only scratched the surface. So I make mistakes but I pick myself up and get on with living with diabetes rather than controlled by diabetes.

I certainly agree with that and want to feel that way too I don’t want to be controlled I want to be in control but at the moment I feel completely out of control and need to get my head straight. Not sure how best to do that I’ve been given some numbers locally to call and have found these forums so think that’s a good start

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi and welcome @KesLouise :)

It took me a while to recover mentally and it was a slow process, trying not to run before I walk as I was impatient with my control and wanted perfection which is nigh on impossible with this, the trick is not to obsess over the details, do something you are passion about so you have a mental distraction, be kind to yourself and talk, keep talking, don’t bottle emotions.

Control does get easier in time, knowledge is power though so get a copy of ‘think like a pancreas’ written by a type 1, and a great book.

There’s always someone around here to chat to so use the forum as much as you need x