newcastle diet week 6 weightloss stalled?

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
diagnosed since aug 2012, completely uncontrolled and severely morbidly obese up until last april...been losing weight (17+stones, 10st n few lb since april 2018) and 6 weeks ago started on newcastle.

Thursday had my hba1c done and friday received the result which was 33

I know newcastle would have really dragged the number down, but as it's a 3 month reading and i've only been on it 5 weeks, i'm guessing my general control wasn't too bad prior?

Still trying to get my head around it...I suppose the real test will be when i re-introduce food and get a few months of food under my belt?

Anyway, i lost 37lb in the first 4 weeks, week 5 through to today (day 2 of week 6) and If i've lost, its 1 or 2lb ish... I know weight loss comes in fits and starts, but i'm on 6-800 calories a day RELIGIOUSLY, i've not cheated once and tbh, I very rarely have the vegetables allowance...but I am having 150g of semi skimmed milk each day in my brews (absolutely need coffee in my life)...is this usual? I've never managed meal replacements this long so don't have any experience to draw from

I am planning on just getting through week 6, and possibly do 8 weeks if I can manage it, but I really want to drop another 20lb before I stop and go on the refeed phase

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Also, can I ask what kind of weight gain did people experience during the refeed phase?

I'm expecting to put on, but i'm hopeful of keeping it to around half a stone...before my body evens out and i get back to trying to lose through 'normal' food calorie deficits... is this reasonable or have people carried on losing through the refeed phase?

for info i want to lose another 4 stone from now...that will give me a bmi of 30, i wont be 'thin' but ill be as thin as ive been since i was 21 if i hit that target

Reactions: Meherun

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@dazzer1975 - your HBA1c of 33 is WONDERFUL! And from 126?????!!!!

You are a newcastle diet success story for sure! Well done. And, you are nearly at the end...

And, and... you have lost sooooo much weight on your 'diabetes journey', you, your friends and family, and your health professionals must be over the moon. (If they aren't - they should be! :).)

I've done the 800 cals for 2 months 'thing' twice (I do not have the kind of diabetes that responds so magnificently to lots of weight loss and semi-starvation, alas, but I am hoping these treatments help in keeping my kidneys functioning, and my heart pumping etc etc).

After two months post the diet I had put back on 6 kg the first time (I didn't understand about low carbing then as I do now), but only 3 kg regain the second time (this time last year, and the weight has stayed constant, at 3 kg less than before the 800 cal diet). The regain happens about three months after? Stops at around six months after? But then remains stable. Not sure if that helps, as our metabolisms are all so different...

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know if this is relevant to your questions but when I was first diagnosed I followed an 800 calorie diet for 8 weeks. I had already been following a low calorie diet of about 1,000 calories a day for a month, so I simply reduced my calories even further by living on home made soups, light meals and salads for the following 8 weeks. I had read all the information relating to the Newcastle Diet and at the time thought this was the only option to try to reduce my blood levels. You should be so pleased at your results, mine were nowhere near as impressive. I went from an initial HbA1c of 53mmol/l on diagnosis, to 47mmol/l after the VLCD. Over the period of the diet lost 10kgs. After 8 weeks I was advised by my doctor to abandon VLCD as I was experiencing health issues. My VLCD was relatively low carb and low fat so having decided to follow the VLCD with a Low carb/High fat diet it was relatively easy for me to transition. I did not put any weight when I upped my food intake. In the last 3 months since the diet changeover I have lost another 11kgs and am still losing weight. This could have been because I was already eating vegetables and protein. My current BMI is 25.5 so I still have a few pounds to lose. Latest HbA1c was 39mmol/l so still not as good as your results, even eating only around 30gms of carbs a day, but am just so pleased to have made the progress I have and hopefully I can continue to keep my blood control steady.

When you come to finish the ND do you have a plan of action as to what you will eat?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am planning on just getting through week 6, and possibly do 8 weeks if I can manage it, but I really want to drop another 20lb before I stop and go on the refeed phase

Have you been tracking waist loss?

Reactions: Meherun

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
diagnosed since aug 2012, completely uncontrolled and severely morbidly obese up until last april...been losing weight (17+stones, 10st n few lb since april 2018) and 6 weeks ago started on newcastle.

I know newcastle would have really dragged the number down, but as it's a 3 month reading and i've only been on it 5 weeks, i'm guessing my general control wasn't too bad prior?

...but I am having 150g of semi skimmed milk each day in my brews (absolutely need coffee in my life)...is this usual? I've never managed meal replacements this long so don't have any experience to draw from

Hi dazzer,
I rarely venture over into this forum (I am doing Low Carb High Fat). But I would like to say very well done!

I have 3 suggestions: -
1. After you can't take any more VLCD, transition to LowCarb High Fat - since that is sustainable - people have been on it for years! It too usually produces weight loss - even without restricting Calories at all. During my first month I lost around 8lbs but I was actually eating more calories than before - just in the form of Cheese, Full fat Greek yoghurt, extra Olive Oil, Avocados etc.

2. If you decide to go LCHF, the avoid milk especially the skimmed, semi-skimmed. Instead use cream in you coffee ! A coffee (no sugar) with milk will probably raise your Blood Glucose - but with cream it won't because Fat doesn't spike BG (protein does a little but much slower than carbs).

3. If you don't have one yet, get yourself a Blood Glucose meter and start testing before and 2hrs after meals to see how much they raise your BG. In the UK the popular meters with LCHF Type 2 members are either the CodeFree (from Amazon) or the Tee2+ (from SpiritHealthcare) because the testing strips are much cheaper than other brands.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

The BG over the most recent 4 weeks effects a A1c about as much as the BG over the 8 weeks before that. Hence it maybe that half your A1c improvement is due to the last 5 weeks.

As to way your waight lose has stalled, maybe your metinbonic rate has reduced. Try doing resistance training and/or HIIT so as to increase the ability of your muscles to use energy.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd really recommend changing from the ND regime to more normal eating in stages - as I think that is the key to maintaining. If you can find a copy of Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution is explains the four stages from rapid weight loss to maintenance quite well - it means that you transition into a steady state rather than have an abrupt alteration - which seems very sensible to me.

Reactions: Guna108

Hibby65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Im doing the Scottish version called Counterweight plus its a 900 cal a day diet if your strict. I know exactly what you are talking about Im on week 6-7 and starting to crumble a bit. The weight loss does slow down and sometimes stalls but dont panic Im sure that slowly it will edge down again. I was warned that the weight loss plateaus around 6-7 weeks but keep at it. Take each day as another step. Sometimes you may stumble but get back up and know that your family / friends and all of us here are behind you.

Seán mise

Hi Hibby,
I'm guessing you're from Edinburgh, sunshine on Leith.
How do you get on these diets? I keep asking GPs and get a glazed look.
Thanks.

Lizzyr59

I don't know if this is relevant to your questions but when I was first diagnosed I followed an 800 calorie diet for 8 weeks. I had already been following a low calorie diet of about 1,000 calories a day for a month, so I simply reduced my calories even further by living on home made soups, light meals and salads for the following 8 weeks. I had read all the information relating to the Newcastle Diet and at the time thought this was the only option to try to reduce my blood levels. You should be so pleased at your results, mine were nowhere near as impressive. I went from an initial HbA1c of 53mmol/l on diagnosis, to 47mmol/l after the VLCD. Over the period of the diet lost 10kgs. After 8 weeks I was advised by my doctor to abandon VLCD as I was experiencing health issues. My VLCD was relatively low carb and low fat so having decided to follow the VLCD with a Low carb/High fat diet it was relatively easy for me to transition. I did not put any weight when I upped my food intake. In the last 3 months since the diet changeover I have lost another 11kgs and am still losing weight. This could have been because I was already eating vegetables and protein. My current BMI is 25.5 so I still have a few pounds to lose. Latest HbA1c was 39mmol/l so still not as good as your results, even eating only around 30gms of carbs a day, but am just so pleased to have made the progress I have and hopefully I can continue to keep my blood control steady.

When you come to finish the ND do you have a plan of action as to what you will eat?
Wow well done you. I'm on day one of Newcastle diet. My best friend recommended it to me after meeting Prof roy taylor. He has lost loads of weight and looks/feels great. Feeling INSPIRED

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did the ND about 4/5 years ago, I only managed 6 weeks - it was the protein cravings that were killing me (dreaming about roast chicken :chicken::chicken::chicken:) lost around 2 1/2 stone, now down 4 1/2ish although I have regained a little over lockdown. Follow a low carb healthy fat diet these days, (not keto due to some of my meds). I'm considering another stint but I need to get my head in the right place for it

ruth2

I started the Newcastle diet after the diet advice I got from my GP failed to work: got fed up with my blood glucose levels one Thursday morning, found out about ND, bought a few tubs of some cheap diet drink powder, and that was it. Lost 30lb over the first five weeks, then kept getting nasty colds and coughs (might have to do with daughter starting nursery) and felt too weak to continue VLCH, been eating as much fish and cheese as I like since then and my weight stays stable. Am trying to lose a little more weight but so far haven't managed a single week without that extra portion of fish and cheese in the evening, when I get exhausted.

What I've been wonderig is whether anyone else feels their immune system got weaker on VLCH? I keep going from feeling fit and strong, much stronger and fitter than on carbs, to horrible headaches, sore throats and ear infections the next, and then back to fit and strong much more quickly than before VLCH. Is it the kids' nursery school that keeps making me ill or my new diet? Colleagues at work are getting annoyed, especially since I am bouncing up and down again within a day or so of coming back into work, they can't imagine how horrible I feel in between....