New to this after some help

Brockyneo

Thanks for the replys I'll take a look around the site see what I can find lol ;) I'm starting my metformin tomorrow 500g 2 a day is there any do's and dont's while been on the medication?

Also is there a android app which I can put different food into it and it can tell me if there good or bad

The hardest thing I'm finding at the moment is just knowing what to eat and not as I have 3 kids at home and most of the food isnt suitable for me (I think lol)

Have to go do a big food shop of things I can eat

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have to go do a big food shop of things I can eat
I don't have a family so it's very different for me but this is a really good idea (as in it worked for me:))
At the beginning buy in things that you know you like which are low carb. Don't worry too much about "healthy eating" get some multi vitamins to buy you some time. (I've never taken supplements before but figured it would reduce my worrying, I'm an Olympic class worrier). This is a big change but also a little change, I mean that it's a big change in thinking but actually a surprisingly small change in eating. Or at least it's a rebalancing not a complete overhaul.

I struggled because everything I believed was "good" for me....well not so much. The multivitamins make me feel safe while I explore sustainable changes. Honestly it's doing my head in, but also quite interesting....

Brockyneo

Hi guys looking for some help as you know I've just been found to have diabetes (I think type 2) and I've just started 500g metformin 2 a day and I believe the doctor is seeing me again in 6 months for another blood test

My problem is I just dont know what to eat for best I've cut out almost all rice,pasta,bread

But when I check the labels on food like fish (oven fish) cuppa soups basically everything I dont know how mush carbs to avoid or what other ingredients to avoid for best

I dont have a metre where I check my bloods daily just the doctor seeing me again in 6 months just even all the simplest foods seem to be full if carbs ect :(

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Fish has no carbs - it is the cheap coating of batter or breadcrumbs which is the problem. I buy plain uncoated fish.
Cupasoup is basically carbs to make a thick soup from fewer ingredients - you could buy a bag of frozen veges, a net of tomatoes and cook them in a big pan, then use a stick blender to make some of it into a pulp to thicken the rest.

Reactions: Ryhia and Brockyneo

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys looking for some help as you know I've just been found to have diabetes (I think type 2) and I've just started 500g metformin 2 a day and I believe the doctor is seeing me again in 6 months for another blood test

My problem is I just dont know what to eat for best I've cut out almost all rice,pasta,bread

But when I check the labels on food like fish (oven fish) cuppa soups basically everything I dont know how mush carbs to avoid or what other ingredients to avoid for best

I dont have a metre where I check my bloods daily just the doctor seeing me again in 6 months just even all the simplest foods seem to be full if carbs ect :(
Buy yourself a meter it will be a priceless investment :)

Reactions: Brockyneo

Brockyneo

Buy yourself a meter it will be a priceless investment :)

I'm receiving a free one from spirit heath care so hopefully be able to keep an eye on it easier

Just a question it maybe in my head but my eyes seem to be more blurry than usual I have perfect eye site but lately certain things I look at especially at distance seems a bit blurry like I have to blink a few times and clear my eyes is this the medication I'm on

I've read horror story of people losing there eye site I don't think I could live with that :(

Reactions: Prem51

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When your blood glucose goes down, there's less sugar in your eyes distorting your vision. Your brain's been compensating for that distortion, and now it doesn't have to anymore. It'll get used to it. If you have a lot of trouble, some cheap reading specs might help, but don't run out to get perscription glasses: this'll only last a week or two. No worries. ;)
I'm receiving a free one from spirit heath care so hopefully be able to keep an eye on it easier

Just a question it maybe in my head but my eyes seem to be more blurry than usual I have perfect eye site but lately certain things I look at especially at distance seems a bit blurry like I have to blink a few times and clear my eyes is this the medication I'm on

I've read horror story of people losing there eye site I don't think I could live with that :(

Brockyneo

When your blood glucose goes down, there's less sugar in your eyes distorting your vision. Your brain's been compensating for that distortion, and now it doesn't have to anymore. It'll get used to it. If you have a lot of trouble, some cheap reading specs might help, but don't run out to get perscription glasses: this'll only last a week or two. No worries. ;)

Thanks for the reassurance :) worried to hello especially some of the things you read online about people losing there sight ect

My tee2+ blood glucose monitor system from spirit healthcare has just arrived so I'll have to get using that to and try understand the readings and when to do it ect ;)

Reactions: mojo37 and Prem51

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the reassurance :) worried to hello especially some of the things you read online about people losing there sight ect

My tee2+ blood glucose monitor system from spirit healthcare has just arrived so I'll have to get using that to and try understand the readings and when to do it ect ;)
You mean diabetic retinopathy? That doesn't happen overnight, and you'll be tested for that every year or once every 2 years from here on in, so if something does go awry, they catch it early. But with what you're saying... I do think you'll be fine in a week or two. ;) The bulk of us go through that when our bloodsugars drop suddenly. As for testing, test before a meal and 2 hours after first bite. If your blood glucose goes up more than 2.0 mmol/l, the meal was carbier than you could handle. It's a steep learning curve, but you'll get there. (I don't remember whether I posted this before, but just in case: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ )

Good luck!
Jo

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right I'm just getting use to the machine but before I ate it was 6.3 and w hours after I ate its 7.7 I dont knowing that's good or not I had baked beans tuna and a pepperoni stick lol

Hi there. You’re generally looking for a rise of no more than 2 mmols two hours after the first bite of your meal. So if that rise of 1.4 was at the 2 hour point, it looks like that meal agreed with you.

Brockyneo

Hi there. You’re generally looking for a rise of no more than 2 mmols two hours after the first bite of your meal. So if that rise of 1.4 was at the 2 hour point, it looks like that meal agreed with you.

Thanks I've tested myself this morning after 2 weetabix and I'm 8.0 what's the best range to be in as I'm assuming 8.0 is high?

Thanks

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Weetabix is not a good choice for most diabetics - each biscuit is 13 gm of carbs, and few people have just one, then they add milk - which contains sugar, so it naturally puts up your BG level.
Keeping to low carb foods should help to restore more normal numbers - being able to eat baked beans and not spike is probably a good sign.
I can't eat peas or beans without seeing high spikes, so I need to be extra vigilant.

Brockyneo

hi guys been a while im still getting use to all of tis so bare with me lol

when i reading labels what the best thing to stay away from for example on most food products its "carbohydrate" then is has "of which are sugars" do i stay clear of the sugars one or both?

also there is the obvious one "sugar" which ive been staying clear of since finding out

ive lost just under a stone since and my blood has been hovering around 5.6 to 8.0 what i find strange is when i went to see my doctor (which was a cover doctor) she said i don't need to worry about testing my blood that's why i didn't receive a blood sugar tester and when i asked what should i be eating she said within reason anything i want which i found strangeo_O

ive watched a video on youtube where fasting for periods a time works wonders which i could do does anyone have any success on here doing the fasting program

think the thing im struggling with the most is food labels and what to avoid, ive almost cut all pasta,rice,starchy food ect just want to keep an eye on the carbs

also i bought some chickpea pasta,green pea pasta,and brown rice but ive haven't used it yet as ive read its not much better then the normal stuff is this correct?

also want to ask say i have a night out and have a few cheats which spikes my blood is it bad to have the bloods high for say a day or 2 while they come back to normal? does it take weeks or years for it to start affecting our health or does it impact us pritty much straight away?

thanks for all the help

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
when i reading labels what the best thing to stay away from for example on most food products its "carbohydrate" then is has "of which are sugars" do i stay clear of the sugars one or both?

It’s best to look at the total carbohydrates - they all turn to sugar in your blood.

what i find strange is when i went to see my doctor (which was a cover doctor) she said i don't need to worry about testing

Sadly that’s the advice many healthcare professionals give. How they expect you to control diabetes without a meter is beyond me.

anyone have any success on here doing the fasting program

Yes, I have. Initially just used to skip breakfast, then had a sustained period of eating only once a day several times a week. It really helped both my sugar levels and accelerated weight loss. Well worth a try if you’re interested.

Brockyneo

Thanks for the reply another question (sorry I'm full of them lol) since been told I have diabetes around 7 weeks ago I've been on metformin 500g twice a day and I've been cutting as mush carbs as I know about ,I'll be honest I've still had the odd bad food in the 7 weeks but a lot better then I usually would and I've lost around 15 pound in weight is this something to be worried about I feel fine and obviously I've been trying to loose weight a bit just didn't knowing that was too much in 7 weeks lol

I'm not pertically obese or anything just I've **** dont on junk food and sweets and carbs (had the odd cheat)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
15 lbs in 7 weeks after dropping carbs significantly sounds quite normal to me. Higher carbs = higher insulin (which is a fat storage hormone too) = weight gain. This is why low carb is used as a weight loss method even for non diabetics. For many it’s easier to lose weight without hunger and that deprived feeling than low calorie.

Brockyneo

Hi not posted for a while just an update and some more help of that's ok

So I had my annual check up and my HbA1c went from I think 76 to 43 and the nurse seems very happy with the result (new to me so I dont know its that's good 43 lol)

Lost around 2 stone 8lbs generally feeling a bit better in my self

My diabetic retinopathy came back clear no signs

But I have noticed more now then ever before an increase in eye floaters either that or they have always been there just I've never noticed before

I mention it to the nurse and she didn't seem all that worried about it said it could be down to high blood pressure does this sound right?

Is the better result down to the medication or a change in my diet because the nurse said check again in 3 months and hopefully be able to get me off the metformin I'm taking

Thanks as always for help and support

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The normal range for Hba1c is 41 and below - so you are very nearly there - I'd advise sticking to low carb and seeing lower levels of blood glucose and then Hba1c as a result.
I can't help with the floaters - though I did wonder if they are moving about more as the fluid in the eye is not so gelatinous at lower levels of sugar, and that has made them more noticeable.