Type 1 Am I taking a lot of insulin??? Type 1

Maz_1

Okay so this may be a really dumb question, but I'm new to all this and haven't got a clue.

Is it normal to go through a 3ml cartridge of rapid acting insulin a week?

I think Ive got my basal insulin spot on so I don't think it's a factor.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You shouldn't really compare the amount you take with other people as everyone is different, just use what you need :)

As a vague range though when I went on a carb counting course last year, one person used 1 unit bolus insulin to 2 carbs, one used 1 unit to 50 carbs - neither was wrong. It also will depend on how many carbs you eat, some eat more than others so that also would be taken into account.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay so this may be a really dumb question, but I'm new to all this and haven't got a clue.

Is it normal to go through a 3ml cartridge of rapid acting insulin a week?

I think Ive got my basal insulin spot on so I don't think it's a factor.

Any insight is much appreciated.

The right amount, is the amount YOU need to stay in range. As above, depends on many factors such as type of diet, insulin resistance, exercise etc.

Maz_1

@Rokaab @helensaramay @Muneeb thanks guys! Thats really put my mind to rest. From what my diabetic nurse told me I was under the impression these cartridges should last at least 2-3 weeks. But it appears my body just needs a higher insulin/carb ratio as I eat very little carbs... but then protein comes into the equation. I'm sure with time things will be a bit less confusing.

Reactions: Antje77

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
From what my diabetic nurse told me I was under the impression these cartridges should last at least 2-3 weeks. .
I know my bolus certainly don't last that long :)