What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am doing pretty well with the amount of food taken in but not in terms of lower BG or reduced weight. Still working on it though. Trying intermittent fasting but am also looking at the 5:2 diet.
I find it does work if you "confuse" your body by changing things about. At the moment I'm not planning as well as I can but I'm trying to fit in a few dinner only days which is reasonably straightforward with all the cupboard culling I have on the go. Even now I still have times with unexplained rises but at least they're nothing like the 15- 19's when I followed NHS advice. Well done on getting a GP that understands too. It makes such a difference.

Reactions: ziggy_w

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7.4 FBG 7.7. Still a bit high but they are fine during the day. Ah well, at least I'll get to Aqua Zumba tomorrow.
B. TAG with ADOC and that was it. I then put hours of effort into the cupboards. I've now emptied out all the vacuum bags and blitzed loads of stuff. Today I remembered to put my latex gloves on. I've never reacted well to dust and working in the depth if dusty cupboards have now caused a breakout on my left hand. The blitz was followed by another circular journey to the charity shop, clothing recycling and the drive in recycling for the stuff clothing recycling doesn't take. My Hubby, who reckoned there was no way I could transplant all the bedding/towels under our bed has now had to eat his words. I've even separated all the Chistmas tablecloths, napkins, runners , dishtowels and bathroom towels into their own storage box.
L. Nothing - not surprisingly.
D. M&S best ever burger with mustard, cornish cove cheese slice, few mushrooms, little bit lettuce and santini tomatoes, 1/2 avocado and hellmans. Also a few veggie chips.
1/2 a mint grenade bar.
These king cherries are calling to me again so I'll have a few later.
@DJC3 - we still have cauliflower but, as everyone else is saying they are very small. Having said that the celeriac was tiny for ages but they're improving now.
@shelley262 - glad to hear the guilt free stuff is yummy. I suspect I'll order some now as they would be handy for my cannot be bothered days.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb that’s great news about your GP being informed and supportive of your low carb and fasting approach. Sounds like a keeper! Good luck with the baking next week, could you go round to her house to do it with her? That’s what I do now if my granddaughters want to make ordinary cakes, then at least I don’t have to keep half used packs of sugar etc around.
@mojo37 how did you feel after your BG spike. I feel quite ill these days if I’ve gone too high.Its not the high reading itself, it’s the comedown afterwards. A good thing really as it keeps me more or less on the straight&narrow!
NE1 was 2 eggs 1 slice Gouda and a flaxseed bun
NE2 Baked salmon with an avocado, tomato and lime salsa.
CWC to drink this morning and tea this aft.
I don't feel any different really that I suppose isn't good because if it made me feel ill I would be less tempted to over carb . Though I do always want carbs the next day if I have over indulged .

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Bed 7.4 FBG 7.7. Still a bit high but they are fine during the day. Ah well, at least I'll get to Aqua Zumba tomorrow.
B. TAG with ADOC and that was it. I then put hours of effort into the cupboards. I've now emptied out all the vacuum bags and blitzed loads of stuff. Today I remembered to put my latex gloves on. I've never reacted well to dust and working in the depth if dusty cupboards have now caused a breakout on my left hand. The blitz was followed by another circular journey to the charity shop, clothing recycling and the drive in recycling for the stuff clothing recycling doesn't take. My Hubby, who reckoned there was no way I could transplant all the bedding/towels under our bed has now had to eat his words. I've even separated all the Chistmas tablecloths, napkins, runners , dishtowels and bathroom towels into their own storage box.
L. Nothing - not surprisingly.
D. M&S best ever burger with mustard, cornish cove cheese slice, few mushrooms, little bit lettuce and santini tomatoes, 1/2 avocado and hellmans. Also a few veggie chips.
1/2 a mint grenade bar.
These king cherries are calling to me again so I'll have a few later.
@DJC3 - we still have cauliflower but, as everyone else is saying they are very small. Having said that the celeriac was tiny for ages but they're improving now.
@shelley262 - glad to hear the guilt free stuff is yummy. I suspect I'll order some now as they would be handy for my cannot be bothered days.
Gather the cakes freeze well for up to two months so should be great for having in stock. They keep seven days in fridge. They arrive in cellophanepacks of four - two in each box of 8 - so I’ve split them down to twos so can have variety over time. They bake to order and takes about a week to bake, pack and arrive but they are very responsive to messaging. They had a stall at real food rocks festival and Basra had gestational diabetes hence the business.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 -- The sound of the cakes makes me drool! Can you post a photo? Or maybe better not, it might make the drooling worse. Hope you enjoy the cakes and the time with your friends.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: A DD keto roll with butter. 100g of chicken liver pate.

Dinner: Homemade soup, half a DD keto roll with butter, a small low-carb bounty bar, one and half glasses of red wine.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All

Choc chia Ugg muffin and cream
Cold baked salmon with lemon mayo
Five Guys burger

Also 6 squares of Lindt mint.
Incredible discovery! Sucking a square stops me coughing.
I know, right? Miraculous.

Obviously going to have to dose myself liberally.
Medicinal, doncha know!!!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Very behind with posting and really should be in bed as an early start tomorrow.

@ziggy_w lovely to see you back here. You and your Wiener sausages have been missed! Nice HbA1c I see in your signature too.

Food has been erratic and consumed in far too large quantities the past couple of days. Mostly bacon, eggs and cheese but waaay too much almond butter, cream and 85% chocolate. Some long walks over the Bank Holiday should help to sort that out.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 I’m with @ziggy_w - we want some photos of those cakes! I’m definitely going to get some. Have a great time in Brum.
@maglil55 well done for all the clearing. I did towels on Monday when girls arrived with all my old ones from London. Everyone was allowed 2 each, the rest are going to the Dogs Trust - they’re always after towels. Quickest bit of sorting I’ve ever done!

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Liquid one at the bowls club, three or four pots of XXXX Gold, some savoury stuff to eat that the ladies made.
Dinner: Steak and veggies, brown onion gravy.
Breakfast Usual omelette, bacon, tomatoes, spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, low carb beer, water.

mouseee

Evening...

Breakfast was bacon egg and mushrooms.

Lunch was coleslaw with still warm homemade scotch eggs.

Dinner - wasn't in the mood for dinner and instead had 6 lovely juicy strawberries with a tiny bit of melted 75% chocolate. Tested before 5.6
Bad move.... 15 mins later felt headachy and awful. Tested 10.7, 15 mins again 10.3. That's the highest I have measured since diagnosis and it was really unpleasant. Decided to drink lots of water and then go for a run. Managed 23 mins and 3.3km which surprised me. And had got down to 6.5 when got back.
Strawberries are now off the menu...

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod not the one you recommended (that was a bit tall for the basket), but this arrived yesterday. If using the skewers it gives room for 3 layers of food in the air fryer!

C481C704-2858-4E7C-B780-6307761ED366.jpeg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Missed posting yesterday due to being out all day and coming home to a family crisis, which is resolved now.
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch out with a friend: ‘full’ English fried egg, bacon, tomato and mushrooms + extra mushrooms (in place of hash brown, beans and toast!)
Mid afternoon: mint Carb Killa bar and an Americano with cream
Dinner: missed due to family problems (but did result in a blood sugar of 4.5 before bed!)
Bedtime snack, 25g mixed nuts and a cup of unsweetened coconut ‘milk’.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod not the one you recommended (that was a bit tall for the basket), but this arrived yesterday. If using the skewers it gives room for 3 layers of food in the air fryer!

View attachment 35135

That looks fab, GG. The link I suggested was just as a thought starter, but yours looks much, much better.

Do you have a link to it? Having shelves, I don't need it for the air fryer, but it could be useful in the IP for some pot-in-pot cooks.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I find it does work if you "confuse" your body by changing things about. At the moment I'm not planning as well as I can but I'm trying to fit in a few dinner only days which is reasonably straightforward with all the cupboard culling I have on the go. Even now I still have times with unexplained rises but at least they're nothing like the 15- 19's when I followed NHS advice. Well done on getting a GP that understands too. It makes such a difference.

I don't know about confusing my body - it's my mind that is confused right now. For no apparent reason BG last night was 15.1! I took extra insulin last night and it was 6.5 this morning. For now, I think I have to up my doses of insulin to get the BG down to reasonable levels, but I'm not sure about how much. Maybe I should talk again to the diabetic nurse - not that she is any good on low carbs but she might be able to advise on amounts of insulin - or maybe different ones. My appointment isn't until October, but I can see if I can get in a bit earlier.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Tea, then later breakfast was 2 fried eggs with 2 RyVita and some more tea.

4 more cups of tea during the day so far and I'll have to have another 2 cups to reach 2 Litres.

Dinner will be a kind of vegetable hash. I was going to add bacon to it, but I think not - I'm trying to keep the calories as low as possible as well as the carbs. This should make it about 500 calories today and something like 20 - 25 g carbs. I'm never really sure how many calories are in what, unless it's out of a packet with the information on it. That's how I know how many are in the RyVita (5.7 carb and 35 calories in each biscuit).

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Super day here in Cornwall, sun shining and all’s right with the world.
CWC this morning then went to visit an old school pal who’s also moved down here. She lives in a beautiful place called Trevone. Dennis and her dog played on the beach then we had a Diet Coke in the beach cafe then back to hers for a simple lc lunch of smoked salmon, avocado&salad and peppermint tea.
Afternoon snack of a bit of Montezuma’s Absolute black.
This evening at home I did chicken breast stuffed with cream cheese, grated cheddar, jalapeños and cumin. With roast aubergines. 1glass red.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only