Dexcom G6-scared

Featherstar11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My parents want me to get the Dexcom G6 Glucose Monitor, but I’m scared to get it. Please talk to me about it and make me feel better because they said I’m not going back to school without it and school starts in two weeks. I need advice, and quick.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My parents want me to get the Dexcom G6 Glucose Monitor, but I’m scared to get it. Please talk to me about it and make me feel better because they said I’m not going back to school without it and school starts in two weeks. I need advice, and quick.

Most people would love getting a G6! What do you find scary about it? Have you used cgm before?

Most of us who use cgm find it gives us much better control because we can see highs and lows starting to develop and then take small steps to tail them off long before they get too high or low.

Some people find that they can give too much information but there are ways of dealing with that.

If you've got a kindle, there's a couple of good books about cgm:

Sugar Surfing, by Stephen Ponder.

Beyond Fingersticks, by William Lee Dubois.

Here's one way of looking at it. With strips alone, you're just getting tiny little snapshots. Say you test at 5. Without doing a few tests in a row, you've no way of knowing whether that's a stable 5 or a rapidly dropping or rising 5. So you might end up hypo 20 minutes later.

With cgm, though, you can see it's just dropped fast over the last 15 mins from 7 to 5 and looks like it's going to carry on dropping to hypo-land.

So you can take 10g to level it out before it gets there.

Instead of stuffing your face with dextrotabs to sort an emergency, you could maybe just have a couple of fingers of a Kit-Kat or a finger of a Kinder Bueno, so that you've had a nice snack instead of a hypo.

I love cgm - it makes the game a whole lot easier, because I can see what I am dealing with. It's not something to be scared of.

hazedsoundz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

The cgm is amazing, you should no worries. Personally it makes everything so much easier to manage because I can see where my blood sugars are going and know what they are 24/7! Just by checkin the app on my phone. I have the g5 I didn’t even know about the g6 jeeez

Reactions: kitedoc

Katiekit

My son has been using Dexcom g6 since January and we have prob only had 2/3 sensors stay on the full 10 days does anyone have any recommendations for keeping them on the full time I’ve tried different tapes, thanks

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Katiekit and welcome to the forum :)

You are responding to an old thread, so it would be a good idea to start a new thread for responses, let me know if you would like me to do this for you ?

In response I also use the G6 and have adhesive issues with most of them, I spoke to Dexcom and they sent me some G6 shaped clear plasters to put over them free of charge, I also use Tegarderm plasters which cover the entire area, and also medical tape to take down the sides which works ok but all of these look at little tatty after a few days. When you are applying the G6 ensure the area has been cleaned thoroughly first, so removing skin grease also ensure it's dried completely before applying, apart from that if any do fall loose then complain and they will replace them for you.

Harry potter1

I started with the Dexcom g5 and my parents had to help me because it was so painful. Now with the Dexcom g6 I can insert the sensor myself. Nothing to be scared about.