Yoga... yes really

Barba_Rossa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I went to my first yoga class. It was a genuinely enjoyable experience - I’ll almost certainly go again.

Had you asked me even a month ago if I would give yoga a go I probably would have laughed. That was a week before my Type 2 diagnosis. It was a big wake up call and I think it has prompted a change in mind set. Not only do I want to start saying yes to new things and new experiences, but I also want to find activities that occupy my mind and teach me how to have greater control of my emotions and mental wellbeing. I’ll still carry on playing rugby, but maybe now I’ll make room for activities like yoga too.

A bit of a rambling post but I wanted to share nonetheless. Have a great day everyone.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done you @Barba_Rossa

for a rugby playing lad, that does sound like a big body swerve in direction.

But is it..

You'll know many sports people develop other muscles sets and skill taking on other sports

and yoga, while not a sport per se, from what i have seen is certainly a discipline,
calming and my god is it strenuous if need be.

Missus does classes, bit of a gym bunny, me not so much, but when she's tried to teach me..OMG
the bends ok for a minute or two.
but the strength poses..WHERE did she get THAT from :wideyed:

after a set, i've collapse in a heap breathing hard and groaning,
and she's all cool & fresh with "right down into moondog"...:***:

so yeah like you, i would have poo pood it a year or two back.
now..no.

To anyone who thinks it's soft and easy.
give it a real go.
some of those teachers male & female on line, are as fit as any other sportsperson and probably more flexible to boot.

Enjoy the sessions. i may if get my act in gear be following in your footsteps at some point,

And fully agree on the YES principle.
Lifes too short to miss out on things just because we didn't have the gumption to yes once or twice.

Good man

Have a good un.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well if anyone starts to rib you over it, tell them that Tom Brady, LeBron James, Shaq and just for you...the New Zealand All Blacks (although I know nothing about rugby, so sorry if that’s a rival team of your favorite :) ) all do yoga.

It lengthens the muscles, improves balance and flexibility. What’s not to like? Plus, don’t forget, pistol squats are a actually an ancient yoga pose. Who can argue with those results?

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Barba_Rossa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well if anyone starts to rib you over it, tell them that Tom Brady, LeBron James, Shaq and just for you...the New Zealand All Blacks (although I know nothing about rugby, so sorry if that’s a rival team of your favorite :) ) all do yoga.

It lengthens the muscles, improves balance and flexibility. What’s not to like? Plus, don’t forget, pistol squats are a actually an ancient yoga pose. Who can argue with those results?

You make a very good point. Believe me I was feeling it in the few days after in places that I’d forgotten I had muscles!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Today I went to my first yoga class. It was a genuinely enjoyable experience - I’ll almost certainly go again.

Had you asked me even a month ago if I would give yoga a go I probably would have laughed. That was a week before my Type 2 diagnosis. It was a big wake up call and I think it has prompted a change in mind set. Not only do I want to start saying yes to new things and new experiences, but I also want to find activities that occupy my mind and teach me how to have greater control of my emotions and mental wellbeing. I’ll still carry on playing rugby, but maybe now I’ll make room for activities like yoga too.

A bit of a rambling post but I wanted to share nonetheless. Have a great day everyone.

A brilliant post @barba Rossa, yoga is so beneficial for many things, so pleased you enjoyed it :)