Keto

Kinnek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,

I’m pretty sure this question has been asked before but I am considering doing the Keto diet and am wondering what people’s experiences have been on it?
I am currently doing Isagenix but it is so high in sugar!! Should have looked at that before I started .

Any info most welcome!
Kathryn

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keto worked for me. 122 on dx, 4 months later 35. OK, was a bit anal about it. Fell off the wagon several times. Got there in the end and so grateful for it.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I’m pretty sure this question has been asked before but I am considering doing the Keto diet and am wondering what people’s experiences have been on it?
I am currently doing Isagenix but it is so high in sugar!! Should have looked at that before I started .

Any info most welcome!
Kathryn

Hi Kathryn,

What is Isagenix? I have never heard about this.

When first diagnosed, I started low carb and have transitioned to keto over time. It has worked really well for me and easy to maintain as I enjoy this way of eating. Blood sugars have come down from an HbA1c of 100 at diagnosis and have remained in the low 30s for the last four years.

Did you have look at the dietdoctor.com website? They have lots of recipes. You might also want to join us at the "What have you eaten today" thread if you decide going keto.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have thrived on keto - details in signature. Is there anything specific you want to know about the ketogenic way of eating?

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
What is Isagenix? I have never heard about this.

Just googled it, appears to be multi-level marketing of supplements.
Other than the MLM (turn off number one), there are plenty of warning reviews - weight loss is by water loss and laxatives?

Article here
https://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/a19993010/isagenix-diet/

and this one doesn't like it either, as it's full of fructose
https://www.dietsinreview.com/diets/isagenix/

Honestly, @Kinnek, do some googling of your own, but the little I've done suggests it's pretty bad for T2s (and probably anyone else).
As a T2, your body can't metabolise carbs properly, (think of people who are allergic to gluten so they avoid bread). You'd be well advised to lower the carbs, buy a meter, and let your meter guide your food choices. And weight gain is a side effect of T2 diabetes and too many carbs, the weight should come off as you reduce the carbs and get your blood sugars under control.

Good luck.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Any info most welcome!
Kathryn

I've had superb results following a ketogenic diet and would heartily recommend it.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the info, @EllieM. It does sound a bit scary, doesn't it?

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Any info most welcome!
Kathryn
Perks of Keto: You feel a whole lot better, you'll live a longer, healthier life, and no-one's making a buck off of your condition. (It's just stuff you find in the local supermarket, unless you want to do some creative baking, then it's the health shop). So yeah... I'm all for it. :)
Jo

Kinnek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,

Thanks so much for your support. Ziggy_W, Isogenix is pretty brutal and as is said above it's shakes and suppliments. To be honest I was pretty desperate and willing to try anything so I signed up on a whim (as I usually do, you'd think I'd learn!) I have done a fair bit of research on Keto but what puts me off is 'Keto flu' and I am concerned I get hungry. If I do, it's game over and I will reach for anything I can get my hands on foodwise, then the perpetual cycle starts i.e I have ruined everything, no point in starting again etc etc. What would help me greatly is menu planning so I think I'll start doing that too.
Goonergal - I don't have any specific questions at the moment, I think I am going to try Keto - I'll have a look at diet doctor and I'll also join the "what have you eaten today group" as that sounds like a good support group!

I'll let you all know how I go, I'll start on Monday so I can do some meal prep and look at some receipes.

Thanks for all your support and suggestions, I am determined to get on top of this!

Best Wishes
Kathryn

M

Member496333

The discovery of whole food ketogenic eating saved my life. Can't put it more succinctly than that.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Thanks so much for your support. Ziggy_W, Isogenix is pretty brutal and as is said above it's shakes and suppliments. To be honest I was pretty desperate and willing to try anything so I signed up on a whim (as I usually do, you'd think I'd learn!) I have done a fair bit of research on Keto but what puts me off is 'Keto flu' and I am concerned I get hungry. If I do, it's game over and I will reach for anything I can get my hands on foodwise, then the perpetual cycle starts i.e I have ruined everything, no point in starting again etc etc. What would help me greatly is menu planning so I think I'll start doing that too.
Goonergal - I don't have any specific questions at the moment, I think I am going to try Keto - I'll have a look at diet doctor and I'll also join the "what have you eaten today group" as that sounds like a good support group!

I'll let you all know how I go, I'll start on Monday so I can do some meal prep and look at some receipes.

Thanks for all your support and suggestions, I am determined to get on top of this!

Best Wishes
Kathryn
Keto flu doesn't last long, and you could avoid it all together if you keep your electrolytes up to par with bone broth and coconut milk. (https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/flu-side-effects might help). Basically though it's mostly a matter of getting dehydrated. When you first start, you lose a lot of the water weight the carbs were holding on to, and with that, you lose salts too... So have some extra! As for hunger, well... You're not supposed to be hungry on keto. Not just because you replace the carbs with fats and you eat until you've had enough... But once you kick the carb habit, that usually goes. And often, what we think is hunger, is actually thirst. So instead of munching something, you might want to pour yourself a sturdy mug of tea or broth and see whether that took care of the hunger pangs. Also.... If you already know you're a muncher... Make sure you have low and no-carb stuff to munch! Go for pork scratchings (I like mine with mayonaise), a boiled egg, a handful of walnuts or pecans, olives, heck, have a wheel of hard cheese if you want to. Couple of squares of extra dark chocolate (not the whole bar, and if you know you're going to down the entire thing at the mo, leave that be for a while.). Basically though, we up the fats so we don't get hungry, and don't become malnourished. And one more thing: We all topple off the wagon at some point or another. Some plan for it, like with Christmas, and they start the new year with a fast or something, though that's certainly no requirement. Tomorrow's a new day, try again. If you fall off once, there IS a point in getting back on: tomorrow's blood sugar control!

You can do this. :)
Jo

Reactions: jjraak and ziggy_w

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Usually remedied by judicious addition of salt

Eat lots of fatty food especially at the start to avoid this issue. As you won't be limiting calories (only carb intake) hunger should not be an issue. If it is you aren't eating enough.
....You're so succinct, I'm jealous. Just so you know.

M

Member496333

I choose eyes, toes and keto flu over the alternatives ;)

It's a small discomfort that is quickly overcome. A tiny price to pay for the bounty of rewards on offer. Honestly I don't even remember experiencing it, myself.

Reactions: jjraak
M

Member496333

I just realised I have not been sick once in eighteen months of ketogenic eating. Even while those around me have caught various bugs, I have suffered no colds, no flu. Not even hay fever. Nothing. Not even a headache. Additionally, no sunburn, no body odour on hot sweaty days. The list just keep growing. It's almost like humans aren't supposed to be constantly sick :shifty:

On balance, I'm chalking keto up as a win :woot:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just realised I have not been sick once in eighteen months of ketogenic eating. Even while those around me have caught various bugs, I have suffered no colds, no flu. Not even hay fever. Nothing. Not even a headache. Additionally, no sunburn, no body odour on hot sweaty days. The list just keep growing. It's almost like humans aren't supposed to be constantly sick :shifty:

On balance, I'm chalking keto up as a win :woot:
Almost "magical"

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Best Wishes
Kathryn

Hi Kathryn,

Thanks for the explanation. When I was diagnosed, I also spent hours googling to find a way of dealing with diabetes and probably would have tried anything which would have been in any way promising.

Personally, I have never felt very hungry on keto. On the one hand, there are lots of filling foods we can have on keto (personally cheese, liver pate, and dietdoctor keto bread with lots of butter) do the trick for me, though I never really feel as stuffed as I did on carbs), on the other hand feelings of hunger (at least for me) aren't as gnawing as on a normal diet, just very slight (before keto, I was obsessed when hunger and felt I could have eaten a whole buffalo).

Just give it a try and let us know how it goes for you. (As others have said, up the salt a bit to make up for the loss of water on keto).

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Best Wishes
Kathryn
If that's the case I would go through the low carb stages until you reach ketosis... ie lower carb intake over time and ween yourself off of it.
I love low carb (I am under 20g carbs a day) I can eat until I'm full whereas the healthy living plate pushed on us by nhs means I'm starving and still not getting the results I want.
It can be hard but so can any diet change. I would get a menu ready and start from there.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is always something you can eat - meat, fish eggs cheese - all just fine, and some salad or a stir fry - or frying some mushrooms with your steak or chop - always good.