Remission

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I started trying to stick to low carb in my early 20s - practically a hanging offense back then, and it took over 40 years for me to become diabetic, but my ability to deal with carbs is almost exactly the same, adjusted down a bit with age.
I chose the Schrodinger's cat option - just never going to volunteer to swallow that amount of glucose.

Reactions: EllieM

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
I am just stating the glycemic load test as it is a confirmation test clinically to test for one`s true ability to lower blood glucose.

I have no doubt low carb is the best way to keep blood glucose under control for those with compromised ability. Something that is sustainable as long as the amount of carb are kept under control.

M

Member496333

@helensaramay I believe that sugar, specifically its fructose component, is the biggest single driver of metabolic syndrome and diabetes. Fructose drives insulin resistance like nothing else. Putting machine lubricants into our bodies instead of the fats we are already made of probably doesn't help, but that's a discussion for another day.

M

Member496333

@Jim Lahey I assume when you say "metabolic syndrome and diabetes" you are referring to Type 2 diabetes.
Or have you read something which suggests sugar (specifically fructose) is a driver for Type 1 (and other types) diabetes?

Ooops - sorry guys, I don't mean to derail this thread about remission and the inspirational stories from some forum members.

I'm referring to metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance, primarily. This potentially affects every human, but in context we can assume type 2 diabetes since this discussion is about remission.

EDIT: Don't forget that metabolic syndrome and autoimmune diabetes are not mutually exclusive. It's possible to have both. In other words everyone needs to be mindful of what they put in heir body.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Wow! This is staggering.
I wonder what the comparison is with carbs. My understand is carbby foods (bread and potatoes in the UK) were cheap so dominated diets in the past. Therefore, I would not expect the percentage of carb in a diet to have changed much although I believe we eat more of everything that we used to.
I know the calories increase is reported as somewhere between 200 - 300 calories, most of this is carbs and apparently protein has remained stable.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone is of course free to disagree, and is encouraged to take the view that works best for them.

Yes, I'd never use the work remission, or anything else.

I have T2D, and I control it, it does not control me (or words to that effect)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What human (or animal) would purposefully put 15 teaspoons of sugar equivalent into their body. Should we pretend that this is normal, or should we redefine normal as the 22 teaspoons of sugar for the day (excluding carb sugars) in the "normal" Western diets.

At the beginning of the 1900's an average human had 1 packet of sugar for the year, now this is over 75.

It baffles me that we know the number 1 non elective surgery for children in the UK is tooth extraction, do we think sugar just behaves itself after this or is the major contributor to.......
Do you mean actual 1kg bags, or whatever they are, of granulated sugar or the equivalent in carbs? We are a family of four are you suggesting we might buy 300 bags a year, nearly one a day? Even before I was diagnosed we bought perhaps one bag a year in total at the most.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you mean actual 1kg bags, or whatever they are, of granulated sugar or the equivalent in carbs? We are a family of four are you suggesting we might buy 300 bags a year, nearly one a day? Even before I was diagnosed we bought perhaps one bag a year in total at the most.
I think you are missing the "added" sugar in anything you buy these days that isn't from fresh natural products rather than actual table sugar?

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/sugar-intake-increase-over-the-years.157076/

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know the calories increase is reported as somewhere between 200 - 300 calories, most of this is carbs and apparently protein has remained stable.

This fits in with my understanding and recollection.

My diet in the 60’s and 70’s was far less sugar and carb loaded than it was at the turn of the 21st century.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
This size:
upload_2019-8-22_18-46-26.png

Many are doing more than there body weight, I have been trying to find the clips from Sugar Free Farm a couple of years ago. I believe Jamie Oliver in one of his Tedx talks also showed some examples on stage quiet dramatically with a wheel barrow.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Blobbyman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm unsure whether this post is relevant for the members of his Forum, however, I sincerely hope it may assist someone out there. 14 months ago my HbA1c was 58, I was diagnosed as T2D. Being in my late 60s , having spent the previous 35years at lunch and weighing 154kg no wonder really.
I was lucky I had time to step back and study what this meant and all the research on the subject, as reading forums and websites just bombarded me with strange unknown data and increased a sense of bewilderment. I was even luckier to be a mathematician thus I treated T2 as an experiment, creating a database and collating all food n drink consumed and weekly looking for combinations of nutriment that helped the cause.
I cut all sugar out, alcohol became a treat, I decreased carb intake, (50-80g) daily, calorific intake at a max of 1500 and red meat just once a week. Rather than attend a gym continuously, I've simply increased exercise. I set no goals, have no targets, but walk, climb stairs or cycle daily, I am more active in my every day life.
So what?
Yesterday I saw my GP who shook my hand and gave me a hug as my HbA1c reading was 35, yet I weigh in at 140kg, slightly down but not that much.
This regime worked for me and I don't think of remission or normality, my mindset is: "My last reading was fine, I'll continue to do what I'm doing and hope the next one is".

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes, otherwise known as the Naked Chef. He was really the catalyst for the sugar tax in the UK. He has tried initiatives in the UK with school dinners, another real food scheme called "pass it on". He has also tried to crack American school food. He is a business man, but his passion shines through. Recently some of his businesses have not done so well.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, otherwise known as the Naked Chef. He was really the catalyst for the sugar tax in the UK. He has tried initiatives in the UK with school dinners, another real food scheme called "pass it on". He has also tried to crack American school food. He is a business man, but his passion shines through. Recently some of his businesses have not done so well.
Oh I knew who he was, I was pointing out that his campaigning was not always reflected in his recipes. The first recipe in my reference is typical, it uses 900g of sugar and even if it serves 12 (probably 6 in reality) that is still 75g or 16 teaspoons of sugar per portion.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have two codings on my GP records
Diabetes in remission
Non diabetic hypoglycaemic