Hypo help please

Milese3103

Hi all,

So I’m currently experiencing severe hypos 2/3 hours after my evening meal.

My current routine is tresiba when I wake and then a 1:1 ratio for breakfast/lunch and then it all goes wrong.
As an example tonight before dinner I was 10.9 I had 70g of carbs and only injected 2 units of insulin and dropped to 2.3 roughly 3 hours after eating (scary low!) This is happening every night.

I’m not pregnant, I don’t inject in places that insulin could get stuck and release later, I don’t drink alcohol, tresiba should mean no spikes or drastic falls, I don’t exercise at the moment, I don’t take any other medication - so can’t pinpoint what is causing this extreme insulin sensitivity.

Has anyone experienced this and found out what the cause was? I’m getting worried it could be an underlying problem and am experiencing anxiety now about hypos.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

So I’m currently experiencing severe hypos 2/3 hours after my evening meal.

My current routine is tresiba when I wake and then a 1:1 ratio for breakfast/lunch and then it all goes wrong.
As an example tonight before dinner I was 10.9 I had 70g of carbs and only injected 2 units of insulin and dropped to 2.3 roughly 3 hours after eating (scary low!) This is happening every night.

I’m not pregnant, I don’t inject in places that insulin could get stuck and release later, I don’t drink alcohol, tresiba should mean no spikes or drastic falls, I don’t exercise at the moment, I don’t take any other medication - so can’t pinpoint what is causing this extreme insulin sensitivity.

Has anyone experienced this and found out what the cause was? I’m getting worried it could be an underlying problem and am experiencing anxiety now about hypos.
Hypos are anxiety provoking even when not having one!
Not sure what's happening here but insulin needs can vary based on hormones (you need more in week 3/4 of the cycle), time of the day and how you are typically taking your carbs (with protein/fat as in a typical evening meal or mainly carb = a slower and faster absorption respectively?_) . Either way you need to try reducing the insulin in the evening and seeing what happens ?
When you take your basal? (could the basal be kicking in, in tandem with the bolus?)
Alternatively could you still be making a little of your own insulin (recently diagnosed?)

Milese3103

Thank you so much for your reply.
I’m 30 years diabetic so no making insulin here haha.
I was wondering if it could be a mix of anxiety bringing them on? And hormones? I had a baby 9 months ago and stopped breast feeding 3 months ago. I’m back to my usual cycles and am currently week 2 of that.
My basal is at 7am in the morning so shouldn’t be spiking at that time - tresiba is also not meant to spike I don’t think?

It’s awful how anxious I feel about it all at the moment, I’m scared of something happening and my little boy seeing :(
I’ve never felt like this in all my years of having diabetes .... I think it’s because usually I know how to fix the problem but this time I’m at a loss.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your bolus amounts are reduced it's likely your basal will need adjusting as well. I would be tempted to skip dinner once or twice and see where your BGs go to check it's not too much basal. Also you say your ratio is 1:1 but from what you say it's 1:35 or maybe even less.

Reactions: ert

Milese3103

Thanks, that’s a really good idea...I could certainly do a no carb dinner but not sure I could skip eating haha.
Sorry I am 1:1 for breakfast and lunch just fine but dinner I am at a loss what my ratio is as i’m dropping drastically even on 2 units.