Obesity, T2 and my right to eat the diet that will heal me

lindisfel

Expert
Feeding humans dead cows caused New variant CJD in humans. Feeding zoo animals dead cows caused New variant CJD in big cats.
Feeding pigs food waste caused foot and mouth and by extension sheep and cows.

One has to be very careful recycling meat.
D.

lindisfel

Expert
Indeed they are. There’s is a lot of geothermal work going on in the U.K. and Europe right now. It isn’t a complete solution but one of a number of them.
Hi listlad I know about the hot rocks projects.
In my early years of being married I was interested in ground source heat pumps, not so much in vogue today.
Air source heat pumps are also said to be viable. However these system need a high input of electricity.

I hoped to see the fusion reaction power station working in my lifetime. Now at 80, I doubt I will.
That is man's holy grail.
D.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_pollution

seem whatever we do, it's between the devil and the deep blue sea.

and as for CJD.

now we are all pretty sure that SOMEONE said '
'It's oK, feeding cows this food stuff, will be ok, we did plenty of research .."..right.

it's always OK...
until it isn't.

whole food groups demonised for some spurious reasons,
chemical companies taking up the slack willingly $$$
food pumped stupidly full of sugars, like some crack dealer, trying to entice then retain the 'customer'

All this Has now led us to a world wide situation where the obesity crisis is looming large, pre diabeteic, diabettic *(t2) are increasingly moving down the age ranges,
( and its a headlong rush if the NFLD scenario works out.)
ALL from those in power who we trusted, who kept telling us //"It's ok..we done lots of research"

Now for a forum full of people trying desperately to find a solution to the foods THEY said were OK,
but we know now were slowly killing us.

i can only find one comfort.

That those we trust...
maybe we shouldn't.

Question everything. make them Prove their case, not cow tow to the noisiest groups or
those willing to pay to sway the impending actions

paper pollutes, plastic pollutes.

lets make sure we find the answers for tomorrow
NOT the problems for the Day after.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diakat

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It won't matter Winnie if the planet dies first!

i thought @Winnie53 made a decent point.

but i am as guilty of that as anyone, but her point was valid.

AND for those who believe that's the case.

how many of the luvvies and Excitables will be willingly giving up those perks they have.?

Endless flights around the world..(all Very important and neccessary for them..just not for us peasants, i'd wager)
(smacks of the EU summits where i believe they had a 15/16 course dinner in brazil ? to discuss world hunger

Non of that walking in someones else's shoes and leading by example there, me thinks

and of course a starbucks on every corner for that all important flat white /latte/etc..all sourced locally, of course.

as littte john would have said.."you couldn't make it up."

And maybe we should ...once all flight except the most necessary..(wars, aid, superstars )
we should then consider HOW will we survive ?
so lets start supplying the goods from nearby rather then flying stuff half way around the world.

Not going to happen.

So lets be sensible.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It won't matter Winnie if the planet dies first!

I absolutely support efforts to address climate change. I don't support making changes to the diet that will make our diabetes worse, not better.

Again, in the US, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in 2015, 43% of adults age 18 or older, have pre-diabetes or diabetes. I've since heard numerous experts report this year it's now 52%, but I don't know the original source of that information. If true, that's 1 out of 2 adults.

We need to find a way to address both diabetes and climate change.

Additionally, we need the animals, not just to feed us but to rebuild the soil.

I'm opposed to CAFO's, and eat only meat from animals that have been fed and raised humanely. I rarely eat out now because restaurants typically serve meat from animals raised in CAFO's, that is not as healthy as meat from animals raised traditionally on their natural diet, and, restaurants also use omega-6, industrial seed oils that make me ill.

I'm battling my fourth flare of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) right now, I believe because of the seed oils my local food co-op uses in many of their chicken recipes, also on their roast vegetables, for reasons I don't understand. Since I stopped eating a couple of times a week at our food co-op's hot bar, my flare seems to be remitting. I'm almost back into remission.

Diabetes is on the increase. Autoimmune disease is on the increase.

I don't know what percentage of diabetics also have autoimmune disease, but I have both. Animal protein is the best protein for me, but only humanely raised meat. I do not tolerate well plant based proteins: legumes, beans, and grains.

Those with diabetes and chronic kidney disease don't tolerate animal or plant based proteins well, and need to take essential amino acid supplements that are very expensive.

Save the planet? Yes. Slowly kill off a significant percentage of the population? No.

Reactions: jjraak

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i thought @Winnie53 made a decent point.

but i am as guilty of that as anyone, but her point was valid.

AND for those who believe that's the case.

how many of the luvvies and Excitables will be willingly giving up those perks they have.?

Endless flights around the world..(all Very important and neccessary for them..just not for us peasants, i'd wager)
(smacks of the EU summits where i believe they had a 15/16 course dinner in brazil ? to discuss world hunger

Non of that walking in someones else's shoes and leading by example there, me thinks

and of course a starbucks on every corner for that all important flat white /latte/etc..all sourced locally, of course.

as littte john would have said.."you couldn't make it up."

And maybe we should ...once all flight except the most necessary..(wars, aid, superstars )
we should then consider HOW will we survive ?
so lets start supplying the goods from nearby rather then flying stuff half way around the world.

Not going to happen.

So lets be sensible.

jjraak, I think there's a lot we can do. I just need to better understand what to do, the reasoning for it, and whether or not its got a good chance of working. More and more, what means the most to me is our health, and that of our planet, the latter topic is new to me. I have a lot to learn.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know the National Trust has small projects going on. Do you know of any large scale UK ones though? Last I heard Blackpool had put a stop to their project. The British Geological Survey says plenty of potential.
Google hot rocks Cornwall. There are others.

lindisfel

Expert
I absolutely support efforts to address climate change. I don't support making changes to the diet that will make our diabetes worse, not better.

Again, in the US, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in 2015, 43% of adults age 18 or older, have pre-diabetes or diabetes. I've since heard numerous experts report this year it's now 52%, but I don't know the original source of that information. If true, that's 1 out of 2 adults.

We need to find a way to address both diabetes and climate change.

Additionally, we need the animals, not just to feed us but to rebuild the soil.

I'm opposed to CAFO's, and eat only meat from animals that have been fed and raised humanely. I rarely eat out now because restaurants typically serve meat from animals raised in CAFO's, that is not as healthy as meat from animals raised traditionally on their natural diet, and, restaurants also use omega-6, industrial seed oils that make me ill.

I'm battling my fourth flare of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) right now, I believe because of the seed oils my local food co-op uses in many of their chicken recipes, also on their roast vegetables, for reasons I don't understand. Since I stopped eating a couple of times a week at our food co-op's hot bar, my flare seems to be remitting. I'm almost back into remission.

Diabetes is on the increase. Autoimmune disease is on the increase.

I don't know what percentage of diabetics also have autoimmune disease, but I have both. Animal protein is the best protein for me, but only humanely raised meat. I do not tolerate well plant based proteins: legumes, beans, and grains.

Those with diabetes and chronic kidney disease don't tolerate animal or plant based proteins well, and need to take essential amino acid supplements that are very expensive.

Save the planet? Yes. Slowly kill off a significant percentage of the population? No.
I agree with you Winnie, I was making an ironic joke.

The problem for man is we need a world government approach to saving the planet.
What we do is merely a token until we can stop countries like Brazil burning huge tracks of the Amazon .....incinerating the lungs of the planet.
D.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just doing 1 transatlantic flight apparently means you'd need to go vegan for 5 years to compensate (quite a lot of cow farts/burps I think).
Also if Greta Thunberg is sailing her solar powered ship of martyrdom one way across the Atlantic how will the fresh crew get to Europe to sail it back?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just doing 1 transatlantic flight apparently means you'd need to go vegan for 5 years to compensate (quite a lot of cow farts/burps I think).
Also if Greta Thunberg is sailing her solar powered ship of martyrdom one way across the Atlantic how will the fresh crew get to Europe to sail it back?
I wonder how she got to Plymouth to embark as well...I bet she didn't walk...

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Why choose? Stop wasting food, since 30% of the food produced is wasted. Wasted food rots causing more global warming. Nothing to do with animals, we don't need to all go veggie, just stop the waste.

I have already said stop producing so many goods that we just don't need. So much energy is wasted. What I would like to happen never will happen because those in power don't care enough to do it. Or they care too much about wealth to do it. I would love to see all unnecessary flights stop. I would gladly forego my holidays if everyone else did too. Stop expecting a growth in the economy. Go for decline and less production, less wasting of the earth's resources. Make do and mend. Stop throwing things out because we want new. Painful, hard, but do we want to save the planet or not? If it's that important to halt global warming (and it is) then stop wasting fuel (whether fossil fuels or not) on unnecessary things. Yes renewable energy is a good way to go, but what we really need is to be able to store electricity more effectively. Why go to the moon and explore the rest of the solar system when what we really need is to store energy here. We are never going to get to live on another planet, we won't be around for long enough, so why bother exploring there?

Planting trees is a great idea, but not at the cost of good farmland. Have smaller fields like in the 1950s and 60s with trees around the edges. Small woods in the right areas.

Why would anyone think it was a good idea to kill off livestock when there's so much else we could do? It doesn't make any sense. Unless as @1spuds and @mr_cat have said, the real agenda is killing off humans...
I am all for averting climate change, but putting all our efforts into some wacky scheme to stop people eating meat is not going to avert climate change.
Logically the situation shows that we should still be living like our ancestors did in medieval times. They understood farming to a high degree, leaving fields fallow and rotating crops. Although life expectancy was barely half what it is now, unemployment was not something common. The community all worked together. If we go further with turning over to robots, we shall see more unemployment, more substance abuse and more depression. As @zand points out, we could only make any difference if the rest of the planet follows suit. Dream on!

Last edited:

dms1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am currently reading Bee Wilson's new book: 'How We Eat Now'. She gives a very measured and down to earth account of how and what we eat in wealthy countries is dominated by fast food and the resulting poor nutrition and why people living in emerging economies are demanding more 'luxury' foodstuffs like meat and dairy to the detriment of their health and the further destruction of both local environments and our planet as a whole. Very enlightening and sobering.

The debate should not be about personal eating preferences being safeguarded but about creating a safe food future and a flourishing environment for our children and future generations.

By the way, most of the crops grown in deforested areas are destined for animal feed, not direct human consumption. Obviously, once it gets into an animal's stomach, it ends up in the human food chain anyway and soya products (as the biggest example) are ubiquitous in fast food formulas.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As the consumption (due to lack of availability) of beef and lamb and dairy goes down, the production of soya will have to increase to feed us humans the alternatives as substitute proteins.

Soya production will not decrease if we get rid of animals, as we humans will take up the difference by eating it ourselves. Same with seed and palm oils instead of animal fats. Same with nuts instead of dairy milk products.

Getting rid of animals solves nothing, and saves no fields or forests, especially as the population continues to grow.

And remember, ruminants eat very little soya as they cant digest it. The soya grown as animal feed is for pigs and chicken feed. The pigs and chickens are still going to be eating it, as its the ruminants they are targeting first to cull.

lindisfel

Expert
The prime work of photo synthesis is to produce carbohydrate. The sun in plants green stuff splits water into oxygen and hydrogen. If we keep the Amazon, the rest of the plants and the photoplankton in the seas, we shall have enough gas to breath and eventually lock up enough co2.

The hydrogen goes and combines with the carbon dioxide in the air and produces carbohydrate in plants. Without animal life we cannot generally produce protein to eat from carbohydrate.

I suppose the vegans will be happy when we have steaks directly spun from carbohydrate, rather than from gamboling lambs. :)
I just hope my beef steaks stay juicy with evidence they were once filled with blood.

Life and sustaining it is a great wonder.
And some people say science is boring.
D.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The hydrogen goes and combines with the carbon dioxide in the air and produces carbohydrate in plants. Without animal life we cannot generally produce protein to eat from carbohydrate.
So where does the protein in say, beans come from?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So still exploratory, not yet producing.
“Drilling starts for 'hot rocks' power in Cornwall. Drilling work is beginning at what may become the first deep geothermal power plant in the UK. Two wells will be drilled 2.8 miles (4.5km) and 1.5 miles (2.5km) into granite near Redruth, Cornwall, where the temperature is up to 200C (390F)”

The work is ongoing.

There is also other work across the UK and the amount of geothermal work in Europe is quite substantial. I will leave you to google it and make of it what you wish. It may yet prove to be one of a number of sources of alternative energy to hydrocarbons, keeping our meat eaters in meat.

I should add that the term exploratory doesn’t apply in the sense that they know the heat sources are there, it is more the case of tapping into them in a viable and economically acceptable way.

Last edited: