What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 this morning and a pretty flat line all night according to the Libre. I have to say it’s crazy how often food is on tv. Not just advertising for food, other things also use food to advertise and food being part of the script in tv programs. Also I’m noticing how frequently food becomes the topic of general conversation. I don’t think it’s because things are more now than they were, I think because I can’t have I’m over analysing it now.

@Muddy Cyclist the picnic by bike sounds a lovely day out for the grandchildren.

@pavlosn a touch high but don’t sweat it, just up and move on to the next test. I’m loving that photo, you must be in a very beautiful area of the world right now.

@ianpspurs good to know your still around, I’m sure you could come hang out and chat without posting a fbs reading here. This seems to be one of the more relaxed fbs threads.
It is. Maybe we should change title to fbs and or full on chat :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A disturbed sleep, up early hours, back to be, now up and all 'Bleah'

last fbg until new stock arrives...a Cilla Black inspired 6.5 .:rolleyes:

@ianpspurs ..i echo @Fndwheelie post.
stay well & stay in the loop.:)

@Bubbsie , a hug for the mood, but a funny for the coffee,..:D

@DJC..nice to see it's moving ahead smoothly, and the Girls WILL learn..(won't they :wideyed: )

@PenguinMum , hang on in, hun..looks to be steadying

@gennepher to paraphrase @poemagraphic .."NO way IS the Right way "
well done you, for finding a solution to your portion of this T2D jigsaw

@johnpol ..you should write a book john, but for gods sake IF you do, and make it for children
remember to tone it down a bit
poor little mites will be terrified..LoL

@Krystyna23040 ..YaY....back in the 5 club...Whoop whoop..happy days :D
Love cilla. My favourite song of hers = you're my world. Lump in throat every time I hear it.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all, late getting out of bed today, most unlike me even though I am an owl type of person, I seldom hit the sack until 1.30.

A dull start to a busy day here.

5.7 today,

PS I had an email from diabetes.co.uk saying my Avatar is fixed. Before I take down my Ridiculous Banner in my signature can any one tell me if it's fixed @dunelm @Debandez
All good my end.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. A 5.9 from the Libre today. Trying to decide if I go for a root around in local charity shops for some rainbow or brightly coloured stuff. Saturday Im going to my first pride parade, I kinda went to a smaller one in town last year but went in normal clothes and pretended I wasn’t going for the pride just stumbled across it while shopping. This time I’m intentionally going to the big one in the city, but my wardrobe is 80% grey, 15% black, so think I should look the part.
We have a wonderful pride weekend here in Blackpool. And I recently stumbled on pride celebrations in hebden bridge. I do love a good pride. Hope you got your clothes sorted. I feel your pain. I'm very black white and grey myself!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday had brilliant BS all day in 4s and 5s - no sixes even after meals. So decided to do a 19 hour fast to see if I could shift some more stored glucose out into the open. Haven't dared to do a fast up to now since consuming all the extra protein on holiday as BS has been running so high during the day.

Was 5.0 at bedtime but sure enough - right on cue a 6.7 fbs this morning - so definitely more stored glucose was found. Hopefully it's better out than in.

Also, maybe, the thought of the appointment my the retinal eye clinic today might be contributing to the higher fbs.
Fascinating knowing how this works. I would like to do a bit of IF to get some stored glucose out but worry about losing more weight and going too thin. I skip breakfast quite often but dont feel that's enough. I often wonder if anyone has actually reversed their diabetes by IF. Completely. My sister had a gastric bypass and her t2 disappeared!!! I do know IR can improve as @Goonergal posted her amazing results. I expect there is a thread on the forum with such info.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.9 this morning, after sleeping like a log all night, for the first time ever I’ve got a break in data from them libre after I didn’t scan for over 8 hours. I got a suitable T-shirt for pride tomorrow, just gonna take it easy today. Hope everyone has a good day! Hugs to all that need or want them.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Post 1 from yesterday

Got the trumps. I mean trumpets....landed on time. Smooth flight as usual. Usual **** coffee! 29 degrees of clear blue skies.

Question is do we hop in a taxi for 50 euro. Or take the bus and metro with a short walk at the end for about 5? We are going for the challenge! Retired now so watching the pennies! This could be fun. #loadedup #camelbags #mustbemad

Post 2 realising not every decision we make is a good one!

Talk about trains, planes and automobiles! We did them all today, we have also done coach, metro and succumbed to a taxi for the last furlong!!! With hindsight we should have hopped in a taxi . still we only paid €18 (€10 was in taxi) in total instead of €50+ We saw lots of ticket offices. Many grumpy locals serving. But lots of locals who wanted to help us too . My pigeon Italian came in handy 'scusi where e il ticketo offico per favor'. Made it to our hotel. Not too shabby. Eric currently drinking coffee on the balcony like a real Italian. Well he is a real Italian! Going to spend the money we've saved on dinner out .

Post 3
The staff here are so friendly. Singing waiters with great voices, fab spot for people watching through my shades .. Quite a few armed guards knocking around (ak47s!!!) to make you feel safe. But bringing to the fore that it's a mad world sadly.This came (photo of bruschetta) We didn't order, apparently complimentary! They think they are doing us a favour. THEY ARE! It was hard to resist a piece. I didn't. Scrummy. Eric's beer didnt touch the sides!

Soundsa a lovely.... ciao Bella...:D

Brilliant...loving the energy n enthusiasm, debs.

Laughed at the broken Italian...but probably way better then any attempt I'd mske

Eric sounds up for it, and liking his style... coffee on the balcony, indeed. Top man.

Well done managing the trains, etc... All to easy to by pass so much of the local environment in a taxi. Always feel a REALNESS whenever we've taken public transport when away.

Loving the sound of the hotel AND the pics of it... Beautiful.

Liking that half finished face, very arty..

ENJOY.
Ciao.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4.9 this morning, after sleeping like a log all night, for the first time ever I’ve got a break in data from them libre after I didn’t scan for over 8 hours. I got a suitable T-shirt for pride tomorrow, just gonna take it easy today. Hope everyone has a good day! Hugs to all that need or want them.

Great scores this week,
And you sound in a really good place.

Enjoy the day tomorrow :D

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak thanks! I know I’m only finished week 1 of 8, but it hasn’t been too bad tbh. Been a bit tired and lazy, but I’m constantly tired anyway with my conditions. So nothing unusual for me. Tomorrow will be a big test, and I’m considering taking out my insulin in case I have food out, better to take the insulin with me and have it when I eat than wait until I get home.

Reactions: karen8967

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning.

4.8 today after fasting for 15 hours in an effort to restore some normality.

I had 24 hours of readings in the 8s and 7s and only 12 grams of carbs in the same time period.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 6.3 today so my body is failing to do the basic T2 control task right now. Rock and a hard place really as much as I don't like seeing those kind of numbers I really need the data to help with the bigger picture of my current issues and the best way forward. Yesterday's fbg was ok but all the information I have points to higher numbers without some kind of intervention. I don't really feel like throwing away 4 years of work. The method of satiating emptiness with up to 12 pints of tea per day is no longer an option. For some time now I have been trying to avoid engaging with the dilemma of what the version of LC I can tolerate is doing to my general health by referring to goodish fbg and weight numbers. Crunch time has come.
Enough reflection, sunny days, cricket to watch virtual friends to chat with so all good in this hood. Have a great day while I try to fit my triangular tastes into the round LC hole.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
fbg 7.3 despite yesterday and the long meal with friends I had in the afternoon.

I had salmon with a sauce and vegetables.

Then we talked a bit. They had noticed I had lost weight when they came in. From my face and body. They were surprised I had lost 11kg since we last met for a meal 4 weeks ago.

I got told I shouldn't lose weight too fast because I will only put it on again. I explained I was doing low carb healthy fat (phrased that way sounds much better than low carb high fat).

Anyway we talked a bit before we ordered the dessert.

I explained a bit more about sugars and that it was about 45% glucose (which is the okay bit to keep you satisfied from your meal), but 55% fructose (which is the bit keeping you wanting more and more). And I explained a tiny little more so they could understand why. And it made sense to them.

One person goes to slimming world and she has plateaued for a long time now, as have the others in her slimming world group, and she is getting discouraged. She seems to have put on more weight in my eyes. But the slimming world organiser says just keep at our diet and it will work.

Another person in my group is diabetic. I don't know if she is type 1 or 2, but I think type 2 because her father was. She always has very bad leg ulcers which never seem to heal and is on a cocktail of meds because of that.

I did explain about healthy fats, but I was told by her that I was only going to put weight on and cause myself health problems with eating butter and stuff. And in fact when I asked for extra butter to put on my veggies, her eyes opened very wide and she shook her head.

Then one person asked what advantages I had noticed with being on my low carb diet. And I explained I had more energy, didn't feel tired and dull all the time, and best of all I didn't walk into the next room to get something and say what was it I came in here for (which is a running joke and topic of conversation when we meet weekly. We don't meet when the kids have summer hols unless it is for a meal). I said I can remember now, and my memory is much better and clearer.

So ulcer leg lady says how can you remember all that and all those facts? I have just explained why!

Then dessert menu is brought over. They all order sugar laden desserts (which I would have done at one time in the past). And normally I don't order a dessert, but I had decided for just that day I would order the cheese platter, but hold the biscuits and crackers. Because usually I feel a bit of a lemon sitting there while they are all enjoying their desserts.

Anyway my cheese platter comes out, and they all look in horror at it. You can't eat all that cheese. Here is my serviette, I haven't used it said one, you can put the cheese in there to take home.

Thank you, but I am eating all the cheese I told them. Their eyes open very wide. Ulcer lady says all that full fat in the cheese is not good for me....

Ulcer diabetic lady is having a massive triple ice cream with maple syrup drizzled all over....

I rest my case, but I say no more.

I am hoping this weight loss continues, and all other advantages being on low carb continues so they can see yet another difference in me when we meet again in a few weeks time.

So, this morning I am back on to a 3 or 4 hour window of eating, and finishing eating my last mouthful by midday today.

The sun has finally got up...it was hiding behind clouds.

Have a good day and weekend.

Last edited:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
FB_IMG_1563172581381.jpg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. 6.3 today so my body is failing to do the basic T2 control task right now. Rock and a hard place really as much as I don't like seeing those kind of numbers I really need the data to help with the bigger picture of my current issues and the best way forward. Yesterday's fbg was ok but all the information I have points to higher numbers without some kind of intervention. I don't really feel like throwing away 4 years of work. The method of satiating emptiness with up to 12 pints of tea per day is no longer an option. For some time now I have been trying to avoid engaging with the dilemma of what the version of LC I can tolerate is doing to my general health by referring to goodish fbg and weight numbers. Crunch time has come.
Enough reflection, sunny days, cricket to watch virtual friends to chat with so all good in this hood. Have a great day while I try to fit my triangular tastes into the round LC hole.

I wish I had advice or an answer for you @ianpspurs
I have a friend who drank teapot after teapot of tea all day. She ended up in hospital with a potassium deficiency.
You don't need to throw away four years of hard work. All the hard work you have done is a basis on how you move forward with this. You will work this out.
I think you have an impending move of house. So that is stressful enough under any circumstances.
Enjoy the sun.
Take care.
upload_2019-8-23_7-59-24.gif

Reactions: jjraak

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yay, I found this thread again. Too bad it doesn't show up in the recent posts tab. (Have stopped posting for a while due to stress at work, but am now on semester break.)

Fasting blood sugars were 4.3 today.

Weather is sunny today, not a cloud to be seen. We are expecting 29 degrees centigrade today. Almost like being on vacation. Later today, we'll go out for a glass of wine (also some sun and people watching).

@gennepher -- It almost seems surreal, doesn't it, to be told you'll gain weight on this diet when they have just warned you not to lose weight to quickly.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish I had advice or an answer for you @ianpspurs
I have a friend who drank teapot after teapot of tea all day. She ended up in hospital with a potassium deficiency.
You don't need to throw away four years of hard work. All the hard work you have done is a basis on how you move forward with this. You will work this out.
I think you have an impending move of house. So that is stressful enough under any circumstances.
Enjoy the sun.
Take care.
View attachment 35167
Thanks for the good wishes @gennepher. Don't worry about having an answer for me I don't think there is a way I will ever enjoy most of the fats part of this woe. I liked the account of your meal, the fact you enjoyed your cheese and the contrast between yourself and "ulcer lady". Well done for sticking to and up for your beliefs. Many members view DX as a sharp shock which set them on road to a better life. I hope this period of turbulence in my world acts in the same way. I am glad LC has had far wider benefits for you than just bg control or weight loss. Several people have found the same, which is interesting. If I am honest, all I have really noticed is weight loss but I live in hope of seeing other benefits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debandez and jjraak

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning folks. Another morning to enjoy, another swing of the pendulum.

The wonder wheel of nights in one hour segments, cramps and wandering dark corridors hit out with a 6.0 upon finally deciding it was time for some tea.

Mrs Miggins is back from her trip to Krakow this afternoon and then we are off to our little house on the prairie. Number three child and family will be coming up from Birmingham with Little Miss Pamplemousse and the twins, chaos and mayhem. They will be leaving them with us after the weekend so I better overdose on vitamin supplements and eat a box of CoQ10 or a strip of them Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries.

Must surely be koffy time now. So, it’s all hands on deck, look smartly to your powder and have everything ready. Have a great day if you can, big hugs for those who need one.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 7.7 for me today at 07.15 which is very bad. I wonder if I am eating too big portions of protein for dinner cos once my FBG came down in recent days circa lunchtime my bg was acceptable and what is my usual. 5 before dinner dont usually test 2 hrs later as it is bedtime or thereabouts. Last night cooked spatchcock chicken and ate twice the serving suggestion accompanied by a few mushrooms cooked in butter. We are going to the Cotswolds tomorrow till Monday so will see how that goes but there will be lots of walking. @ianpspurs good to see you posting and I really couldnt put my feelings better than @gennepher. you may need more tweaks but you will get there. @gennepher I did smile about your friends reaction at lunch...theres a sitcom in there somewhere but good on you for staying firm. @Debandez so glad you’re trip got off to such a good start..that bruschetta did indeed look irresistable..how do they do that? Enjoy every minute..I am sooo envious! @Fndwheelie have a great time on the march and enjoy dressing for the cause! @SaskiaKC thanks for the music tracks..both great choices. Hope you and the KC have a good day.
Phew have a good Friday everyone. Stay well, stay safe (roads will require great concentration and patience).