Type 2 Breakfast Ideas

johnincrete

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The biggest problem for me is to eat a good breakfast. Usually, I skip brakfast but all advice says it is the most important meal.
Can anyone suggest simple breakfast ideas please.
I am 79 years old, T2 diagnosed 40 years ago, overweight, live on my own in Crete, Greece, survivor of colon cance, have pacemaker, need cathtersto fully empty bladded.

Reactions: Barba_Rossa

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello John, Personally for me a good breakfast is one that doesn't impact on my blood glucose levels, so eggs and bacon with say mushrooms, or plain yoghurt with blueberries or strawberries, www.dietdoctor.com has some good breakfast ideas too, worth having a look there.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but all advice says it is the most important meal.

It very certainly is, but there is no advice as to when you need to break your fast.

It doesn't automatically have to be first thing in the morning, you can have that meal whenever you choose.

But when you finally do have breakfast, it will be your most important meal.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The biggest problem for me is to eat a good breakfast. Usually, I skip brakfast but all advice says it is the most important meal.
I am 79 years old, T2 diagnosed 40 years ago, overweight, live on my own in Crete, Greece, survivor of colon cance, have pacemaker, need cathtersto fully empty bladded.
If you don't want to eat in the morning, then don't. There's such a thing called Intermittent Fasting, and most people do it by simply having their lunch be the first meal of the day. Some even skip two of the three meals and go OMAD (One Meal A Day). It'll push bloodsugar levels down, and stimulate cell-regeneration.

If you absolutely want to have breakfast, go for low carb stuff like eggs, bacon and cheese, high meat content sausages, a salmon omelet or something... Full fat (in your case proper!) greek yogurt with some nuts and berries, maybe coconut shavings? Just steer clear of cereals and bread.

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I find if I skip breakfast my sugar level goes up.

So I choose from one of three breakfasts.

Porridge, scrambled eggs or yoghurt are my breakfasts of choice.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Porridge can be problematical for some folks, so you need to test for it. Since I got my levels down to reasonable levels, my breakfast consists of scrambled eggs and black pudding (around 6g).

But gosh you are in Crete. Olives and cheese would be my go to there. Low carb nuts, oh yes!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat breakfast if I'm hungry, otherwise I may have a mug of coffee with cream or even just water. I've never been a regular breakfast eater. And it doesn't have to be eaten early in the morning, it can be whenever you choose to break your fast.:D

Today for example, I had two tiny low carb crispbreads with butter, paté, and some Kalamata olives - yesterday i had coffee and cream, Other days I may have a little full fat Greek yoghurt with a sprinkle of seeds and nuts or a few berries, or sometimes cheese (maybe feta with olives, basil and a few tiny cherry tomatoes) or cold meat or chicken, a little salad, leftovers... Very often though, as I mentioned, I have nothing except a drink until later in the day - I generally just let my stomach tell me when it wants to be fed...

Robbity

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi John, what would you normally have for lunch or dinner? I say have whatever you normally eat at any other meal, breakfast does not have to be 'breakfasty' things, as others have said, chicken or soup or a lamb chop if you like, YOUR choice. x

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Breakfast doesn't have to be the most important meal of the day, but you could make it. The important bit is to have a nice long gap of say 16 hours or more between one of the meals and not to have snacks between the other meals. Your in Crete, which is known for it's great wholefood. and retired, which allows you the luxury of eating when you want. A couple of organic eggs, boiled or as scrambled or omelette, with some olives and or avocado is the perfect T2D breakfast. Lunch and if you have a late meal, can be some fatty meat or fish, and you have great fish in Crete, and salad, with lots of lovely extra cold pressed virgin Cretan olive oil. If you have a third late meal, keep it at around 6 pm or earlier. That way you will have a long break between that last meal and breakfast the following morning. If you treat your lunch as your main meal and avoid the third meal you will in fact be practising intermittent fasting without actually thinking about it. That will give you 16 to 20 hours without food and will give a huge boost to your autophagy and the creation of rejuvenating and healing stem cells.
Use your food as if it were medicine. I cannot promise it will cure you, but at the very least you will feel a lot healthier for it.