What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
fbg 7.3 despite yesterday and the long meal with friends I had in the afternoon.

I had salmon with a sauce and vegetables.

Then we talked a bit. They had noticed I had lost weight when they came in. From my face and body. They were surprised I had lost 11kg since we last met for a meal 4 weeks ago.

I got told I shouldn't lose weight too fast because I will only put it on again. I explained I was doing low carb healthy fat (phrased that way sounds much better than low carb high fat).

Anyway we talked a bit before we ordered the dessert.

I explained a bit more about sugars and that it was about 45% glucose (which is the okay bit to keep you satisfied from your meal), but 55% fructose (which is the bit keeping you wanting more and more). And I explained a tiny little more so they could understand why. And it made sense to them.

One person goes to slimming world and she has plateaued for a long time now, as have the others in her slimming world group, and she is getting discouraged. She seems to have put on more weight in my eyes. But the slimming world organiser says just keep at our diet and it will work.

Another person in my group is diabetic. I don't know if she is type 1 or 2, but I think type 2 because her father was. She always has very bad leg ulcers which never seem to heal and is on a cocktail of meds because of that.

I did explain about healthy fats, but I was told by her that I was only going to put weight on and cause myself health problems with eating butter and stuff. And in fact when I asked for extra butter to put on my veggies, her eyes opened very wide and she shook her head.

Then one person asked what advantages I had noticed with being on my low carb diet. And I explained I had more energy, didn't feel tired and dull all the time, and best of all I didn't walk into the next room to get something and say what was it I came in here for (which is a running joke and topic of conversation when we meet weekly. We don't meet when the kids have summer hols unless it is for a meal). I said I can remember now, and my memory is much better and clearer.

So ulcer leg lady says how can you remember all that and all those facts? I have just explained why!

Then dessert menu is brought over. They all order sugar laden desserts (which I would have done at one time in the past). And normally I don't order a dessert, but I had decided for just that day I would order the cheese platter, but hold the biscuits and crackers. Because usually I feel a bit of a lemon sitting there while they are all enjoying their desserts.

Anyway my cheese platter comes out, and they all look in horror at it. You can't eat all that cheese. Here is my serviette, I haven't used it said one, you can put the cheese in there to take home.

Thank you, but I am eating all the cheese I told them. Their eyes open very wide. Ulcer lady says all that full fat in the cheese is not good for me....

Ulcer diabetic lady is having a massive triple ice cream with maple syrup drizzled all over....

I rest my case, but I say no more.

I am hoping this weight loss continues, and all other advantages being on low carb continues so they can see yet another difference in me when we meet again in a few weeks time.

So, this morning I am back on to a 3 or 4 hour window of eating, and finishing eating my last mouthful by midday today.

The sun has finally got up...it was hiding behind clouds.

Have a good day and weekend.

Glad you survived their serious observations and utterances and hope that the salmon was good.

As Stephen Fry once pointed out, “Seriousness is no more a guarantee of truth, insight, authenticity or probity, than humour is a guarantee of superficiality and stupidity.”

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...sunshine & coffee what else could I want...rhetorical question I was about to start making a list but that would be endless...on a positive note I tackled the worse kitchen cupboard yesterday so all is in order there I was very tempted to leave the door open to admire my handy work...another one to be organised today...small but vital steps to begin my de-clutter...woke to a 6.0

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all those stuck in traffic jams, but not politicians who are probably flying at taxpayers expense on a jolly. Grrrrr

A surprising 5.1 this morning greeted me, it was very polite, a worrying sign, then it proceed to ask me to renew the emf generator in my meter. Creep.

I'm now back in the soft sarf after short sojourn in the dark and dangerous norf. Passport control at the Watford is becoming troublesome, I had to sneak under the barrier.
Well folks I have no idea what your plans are, but I would like to wish you all the best, remembering today is the only chance we have at today, unless you can hop realities.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got told I shouldn't lose weight too fast because I will only put it on again. I explained I was doing low carb healthy fat (phrased that way sounds much better than low carb high fat).

One person goes to slimming world and she has plateaued for a long time now, as have the others in her slimming world group, and she is getting discouraged.
She seems to have put on more weight in my eyes. But the slimming world organiser says just keep at our diet and it will work.

Another person in my group is diabetic. I don't know if she is type 1 or 2, but I think type 2 because her father was. She always has very bad leg ulcers which never seem to heal and is on a cocktail of meds because of that.

Then one person asked what advantages I had noticed with being on my low carb diet.
And I explained I had more energy, didn't feel tired and dull all the time, and best of all I didn't walk into the next room to get something and say what was it I came in here for
I said I can remember now, and my memory is much better and clearer.

So ulcer leg lady says how can you remember all that and all those facts?

Then dessert menu is brought over. They all order sugar laden desserts

I would order the cheese platter, but hold the biscuits and crackers.

Thank you, but I am eating all the cheese I told them. Their eyes open very wide. Ulcer lady says all that full fat in the cheese is not good for me....

Ulcer diabetic lady is having a massive triple ice cream with maple syrup drizzled all over....

I rest my case, but I say no more.

I am hoping this weight loss continues, and all other advantages being on low carb continues so they can see yet another difference in me when we meet again in a few weeks time.

Whoa...you couldn't make it up, could you

sickly lady scoffing sugary deserts telling YOU how bad' some foods can be....:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
would make a funny sketch in a 'Little type2' / f'ast show sketch way....

.tho' acorn antiques does come to mind ;)

Go show them girl..give them another taste of what change looks like next time ya see em.:D
sad really how indoctrinated we have all been.

sat in front of them is living proof that all the slimming world type mantras MAY be wrong, yet their still in denial..good grief :rolleyes:

Have a good one, gen :)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.8 this Friday morning, looking out at some lovely cumulus clouds in an autumn-blue sky. It looks like God just trimmed the horizon with whipped cream.

what a beautiful way of seeing it

m1256.gif

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jjraak -- NOTE: you needn't read this if you don't want to ---

That said, I went through very similar experiences nursing Mama at home in her last 18 months. Your description of too intimate for any child ... as I read your words, I thought, Here is someone who understands, who has been there. Who knows. And to be asked what we think about a literally life-or-death decision ......

you seem to have found a good counselor. I'm glad for that.

Hug.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yay, I found this thread again. Too bad it doesn't show up in the recent posts tab. (Have stopped posting for a while due to stress at work, but am now on semester break.)

Fasting blood sugars were 4.3 today.

Weather is sunny today, not a cloud to be seen. We are expecting 29 degrees centigrade today. Almost like being on vacation. Later today, we'll go out for a glass of wine (also some sun and people watching).

@gennepher -- It almost seems surreal, doesn't it, to be told you'll gain weight on this diet when they have just warned you not to lose weight to quickly.

Welcome back! You're not the first person who has posted about the thread not showing up in recent posts tabs. I've been wondering what you've been up to (and I apologize for not PMing you to say so). A neighbor and I were just agreeing yesterday that when you miss people you should go looking for them.

It got up just over 29 here yesterday and I was out twice on two errands. I ended up taking three showers because of them -- one before, two after.

t9611.gif

t9608.gif

t9612.gif

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...sunshine & coffee what else could I want...rhetorical question I was about to start making a list but that would be endless...on a positive note I tackled the worse kitchen cupboard yesterday so all is in order there I was very tempted to leave the door open to admire my handy work...another one to be organised today...small but vital steps to begin my de-clutter...woke to a 6.0

Yay! :)

Be careful if you leave the cupboard door open -- mine are at just the height to bash me in the forehead when I leave one open by mistake. :banghead: :blackeye: :inpain:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG yesterday and this am 5.5...Yay...good old codefree.
https://homehealth-uk.com/ sent me a new meter to replace the one i stupidly dropped on floor and broke..
great service too..ordered late afternoon on Tuesday..got on Thursday morning

so we are BACK in the GAME. baby....
m1213.gif

xxxx

2nd session of counselling yesterday
a lot tougher then first.
reviewed a lot of things in my life, growing up years etc and later

Started off discussing the loss of Mum, and how i feel i let her down as i don't mourn her the way i did dad,
and i just choked..Lady was ever so good. went over the details, and that last day.

Short story
dad ill many years 2000-2009
Mum declined over same period.
dad terminal cancer, treatment to relieve only. passed away 20009
Mum senile dementia
Mum into a home 2005, just unmanageable.passed away 2016

dad suffered many illnesses and bouts of severe diarrhoea
with the poor quality of care at A&E we agree between us i should help nurse him at home,
Far too intimate for any son to do, but love pushes you over ANY line that is arbitrarily drawn in the sands for us.

Suffice to say the day he fell sick and we called docs.."fetch family " was NOT what i expected.

Doc then asked what hospital should do IF he failed to recover at any point ..(aka resuscitate)
Stunned dad then asked me what I thought ....F*** :wideyed:
You can't ask that of someone else, can you.
but that was the measure of how close we had become
i stuttered .."i have no idea, what do you want to happen.? "
"NO..i've had enough "

at Hospital they said he was just dehydrated, he'd be fine...
so family insisted i went home
(shattered, long days, home to make food for him, visits at all hours when he was poorly clearly had taken it's toll)..and then little sleep the night before, so off i went to get a few hours.

Not to be..a call an hour later, dash back, unconscious, spent 15 mins saying good bye before he stopped breathing.
he was surrounded by Family so as nice as anything like that could be, so grateful for that.

Back with Counsellor, family history shows a few occasions when medical advise was poor or just insufficient...sister passed away aged 27, dad not diagnosed for years, simple test ..mum not checked despite numerous falls

drilling down it's not the fact i got type2..it's the RAGE inside me at the way it was delivered.

which doesn't explain it all, i still know it's something else inside me, that i am now becoming aware of, so the sessions are helping.

so i'm dealing with a few things that i wasn't aware were still bothering me, and finding ways to manage that mix of emotions and feelings.

On a positive note, i would say for anyone on the edge of deciding to get some counselling, from being a sceptic,
i'd say Do it.

Turned out to be useful for me anyway, to discuss such personal issues with those who are not invested or might be disturbed by the discussions.

It's good to talk, but i am mindful, we only trust a few, and those we do, we also try to protect, By NOT talking.
( a rather poisonous circle feeding itself slowly in your subconsciousness.)

So a small weight off my shoulders today, a new day has dawned, so off to do a few bits to the Bike.
and hope for a replica of the great weather we had yesterday.:happy:

Arrivederci as they say in Italia..;)
Hugs jjraak xx
FB_IMG_1546373232359.jpg

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well.... I just had a phone call from my GP, one of my carers must have reported me to the doctors for not taking my insulin. I pointed out to her that without insulin I was maintaining my sugars between 4 and 6 most of the time up to high 7s after a meal. If I took the 40 units of insulin as insisted by the carers I would probably be below 2 and unconscious. She agreed with me that I was fine off the insulin if I keep monitoring regularly. I told her I was on a libre and she was happy with my ‘normal numbers’.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum enjoy your weekend in the Cotswolds.

(And try not to worry about FBGs, just enjoy the change of scene.) :)
Awh thanks so much Saskia. I dont know the Cotswolds part of the country but I love the countryside so if I can will post a pic or two. We are meeting up with a group of friends we made when I first came to the UK from Ireland in 1983. We are all a bit scattered geographically but meet up for a weekend once a year and its lovely.
Hope you and the KC have a nice weekend and the hot weather isnt too much. Conor is coming home for the w/e to look after Bobs and Daisy and work on his disertation. Needless to say the fridge is well stocked for all three!!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Awh thanks so much Saskia. I dont know the Cotswolds part of the country but I love the countryside so if I can will post a pic or two. We are meeting up with a group of friends we made when I first came to the UK from Ireland in 1983. We are all a bit scattered geographically but meet up for a weekend once a year and its lovely.
Hope you and the KC have a nice weekend and the hot weather isnt too much. Conor is coming home for the w/e to look after Bobs and Daisy and work on his disertation. Needless to say the fridge is well stocked for all three!!

I have visited the Cotswolds one whole time. ;) I was 19 and my parents and I hired a car and drove from Oxford to Stow-on-the-Wold and then to some of the villages near it. I think we were mostly in Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire. I fell in love with a place called Batsford. That was in 1972 -- I imagine the area's changed since then!

I hope Bobs and Daisy will enjoy their time with Brother Conor. ^. .^. .^

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have visited the Cotswolds one whole time. ;) I was 19 and my parents and I hired a car and drove from Oxford to Stow-on-the-Wold and then to some of the villages near it. I think we were mostly in Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire. I fell in love with a place called Batsford. That was in 1972 -- I imagine the area's changed since then!

I hope Bobs and Daisy will enjoy their time with Brother Conor. ^. .^. .^
You have seen so much of the UK...still wish you could move to Blandford :)
Yeah you got it right all three consider each other siblings...they will be joyous to have him around..sleep on his bed etc.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 I hope your new household is all settling down and keeping shoes and books, etc., in high places. Just as long as the girls don't store their handbags and things with the Christmas decorations, Dennis should be fine. ;) You mentioned the move with a lorry; I know more or less what a lorry is but I'm not sure just which "trucks" as I call them would classify as lorries. Are all these lorries?

free-truck-icons-vector.jpg

Reactions: DJC3 and gennepher