Tresiba peaks

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take my Tresiba dose at about 6am. Around 5pm with very light exercise (a walk!) my BG tends to plummet to sub 4.

I've tested various Novorapid scenarios and even taking my last dose of that at 12 (& running high all afternoon) I still drop low at about 5/6 pm with just a walk.

My consultant is convinced the Novorapid should be out of my system and it must be Tresiba and has suggested I swap to taking it in the evening. Reducing the dose just ended up with me waking up high

I though Tresiba had a flat profile - has anyone seen anything which would suggest a peak 11/12 hours after injecting?

Reactions: Knikki

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, hmm it is a difficult one but I understand where you're coming from. I experienced a hypo yesterday and there was no fiasp or food on board and it was 7-8 hrs before my next jab. So I think tresiba was being naughty or whatever I was doing caused the hypo. I feel it peaks around the 3-4hr mark or so. I use to take it in the morning and that would cause hypos, so then I've changed it to the evening and it's not been too bad and much more stable.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think there actually is a peak in Tresiba if I'm honest, I think as it's not as flexible as other basals it's just a knock on effect from doing a few things extra day to day xx

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I dose tresiba at 11pm.
I set my dose to get my bg level correct in the morning. I am now finding that my late afternoon levels are running a bit low.
Not sure when most people take tresiba, but bedtime I was told. Certainly gotta get the dose spot on.

Reactions: porl69

Indy1282

I had this. Used to take my Tresiba in the am at 7ish and I used to go really low between 4.30 to 5.30. It was a massive pain in the bum because that's the time I do my horses after work and I would end up going very low (2.2 was the lowest) in the field with them.

I spoke with my consultant and now I take it just before bed and it has helped. I do still go a bit low in the PM but nowhere near as bad as before.

I think I must naturally drop that time of day because I can eat a banana or chocolate bar at 5pm with no insulin and still potentially drop.

Reactions: Zinadane

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yep, it's a struggle for to take enough tresiba to keep my 6am bg correct. But then 5pm and my bg is too low.
Is it 30hrs for full duration, so you'd expect overlap during my sleep hours, which doesn't explain my levels.
Anyway, battle on

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think there actually is a peak in Tresiba if I'm honest, I think as it's not as flexible as other basals it's just a knock on effect from doing a few things extra day to day xx
Well I've finally found time to read the link above and it peaks at 12 hours - so taking it at 6am makes sense with my afternoon peak. I changed to 10pm 2 days ago so let's see how this works.

@Indy1282 Its also the time I haul hay and feed out to my 2 horses :) I'm fine first thing in the morning but come 5pm even filling a barrow full of hay causes a hypo

Reactions: Knikki

ant13

Hi there, I was hoping for advice on tresiba. My wife has been a type 1 diabetic for 40 years and recently began using Triseba. To start with she was on around 14 units, taken at around 6pm. She had a few hypos in the early hours so we reduced the dose a little at a time, however it didn't improve that much. Over the last couple of weeks she has began to have the Triseba in the morning, but now she is waking up very high despite being 5-6 at bedtime. I just wondered if there was any helpful advice? As Triseba supposedly works very evenly we're a bit flummoxed.

Many thanks.

ant13

@ant13 I do not take Tresiba but I have read that it takes some time to "settle down" when you adjust the dose.
The recommendation I have read is to wait 4 or 5 days after an adjustment before adjusting again.
I say this because I wonder if you were adjusting the dose too quickly when you reduced her dose for the hypos.
I can understand you may be nervous to increase the dose but is it something worth doing to reduce the morning highs?
For example, increase the dose by 1 unit and wait a week to see the impact.

My other thought is whether the morning highs are due to a continued rise throughout the night or whether it is a short term rise before she wakes - Dawn Phenomenon.
Some night time readings (or use of a Libre or CGM) shoudl be able to answer this question.

Hi and thankyou for your reply. She has been on Triseba since May, as you rightly say you need to wait 4/5 days for things to settle down. We have made very gradual changes over this period of time, the biggest changr being the most recent one (switching to morning injections). I don't know her exact reading this morning - when its bad she feels its best not to tell me as I worry for England - but I would say it has risen high enough to guess its simply continued to rise all night. Being a lady she obviously has other issues which can complicate her sugars but I just wondered if it was possible the switch (which was 2 weeks ago) was partly responsible.

Thanks again

ant13

Agree with @helensaramay adjusting the dose on Tresiba can take a while to take effect as it accumulates in the system.,
I dropped my intake by 1 unit this morning but do not think I will see any difference for at least 4 days.

Hi, thanks for replying. I think it has been long enough now to have successfully adjusted. As ever you 'solve' one problem and it swings the other way.

Thanks again

Indy1282

@Indy1282 Its also the time I haul hay and feed out to my 2 horses :) I'm fine first thing in the morning but come 5pm even filling a barrow full of hay causes a hypo

I can be 7mmol getting out of the car and just walking up to the field and having a chat and fuss with the horses can drop me right in to a hypo - its bloody annoying!!

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've found that taking FIASP or novorapid in the legs compared to stomach or arms, causes me to go low, many hours after injecting. For example if I eat and inject at 7pm and levels are steady before I goto bed around 11pm, I can have a hypo at 2am. I know legs are slower absorption anyway, but it seems like it just holds a unit or two back for 5 hours then starts to release. Never happens if I inject in the stomach.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, I was hoping for advice on tresiba. My wife has been a type 1 diabetic for 40 years and recently began using Triseba. To start with she was on around 14 units, taken at around 6pm. She had a few hypos in the early hours so we reduced the dose a little at a time, however it didn't improve that much. Over the last couple of weeks she has began to have the Triseba in the morning, but now she is waking up very high despite being 5-6 at bedtime. I just wondered if there was any helpful advice? As Triseba supposedly works very evenly we're a bit flummoxed.

Many thanks.
I've been taking Tresiba at 9pm instead of the morning for 2 weeks now and am waking up a lot lower than I used to - including hypo twice. That's on a reduced dosage too.

There's no way it's a flat profile in me!

Debbie73

Hi

I'm finding the same problem :-( I started on 7u tresiba 10 days ago (was on 9u lantus) to stop overnight hypos. But since this my blood sugars rise during the night and despite increasing tresiba to 10u currently, I am still waking up high in the mornings (around 10 to 12 mmol). I inject tresiba the same time at around 7am but was wondering whether to change this to evening instead? But like you say it's profile is supposed to be flat so why am I spiking during the night? Also tend to have more hypos during the day too since on tresiba which doesn't make sense! Any help would be great

Many thanks.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
But like you say it's profile is supposed to be flat so why am I spiking during the night? Also tend to have more hypos during the day too since on tresiba which doesn't make sense!
Its profile may be flat but your body well not have a flat profile, so you may just need more overnight than during the day - I answered your post in the other thread offering some comments.

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For me tresiba is pretty good. I take it first thing in morning. But I do get 3am to morning highs quite a lot. I tweak the dose occasionally usually 0.5ml increments, it has to be perfect. I then ensure bedtime bs is really good to be in with a chance of keeping it reasonably good at wake up. Often I take a few units of bolus (fiasp) if I wake for a pee at 3am for example.