Type 2 puzzled

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Was diagnosed 3 years ago and overall have kept bs down with keto low carb. Lost 30lbs to start with but put a stone back on. Have kept 16lbs off.
Have been pretty strict the last few months but am struggling to maintain good bg control and am not losing weight. Have at least 30lbs I need to lose. Have chronic fatigue syndrome which makes extra exercise difficult though I do a feeble 15 minutes a day. Am probably hypothyroid - not by NHS range but by most functional doctors ideas.
Any stress whether physical or mental rockets my blood sugar. I went to a spa and swam for 20 minutes and it sent my bs from 8.4 daily average to 9.0

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was diagnosed 3 years ago and overall have kept bs down with keto low carb. Lost 30lbs to start with but put a stone back on. Have kept 16lbs off.
Have been pretty strict the last few months but am struggling to maintain good bg control and am not losing weight. Have at least 30lbs I need to lose. Have chronic fatigue syndrome which makes extra exercise difficult though I do a feeble 15 minutes a day. Am probably hypothyroid - not by NHS range but by most functional doctors ideas.
Any stress whether physical or mental rockets my blood sugar. I went to a spa and swam for 20 minutes and it sent my bs from 8.4 daily average to 9.0

Hello there - Could I ask specifically what puzzles you? It's not totally clear from your post, and it's not good to assume. :)

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Hello there - Could I ask specifically what puzzles you? It's not totally clear from your post, and it's not good to assume. :)
I guess I am not sure why the bs levels are so high given my diet and why they rocket so much with the tiniest amount of any exercise or stress. I thought exercise would be good for diabetes (though it doesn't help the M.E.)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess I am not sure why the bs levels are so high given my diet and why they rocket so much with the tiniest amount of any exercise or stress. I thought exercise would be good for diabetes (though it doesn't help the M.E.)

Gentle exercise tends to lower blood glucose, but more exertion tends to push it up. Of course there are exceptions to every rule.

For me, thankfully I don't carry a lot of stresses in my life, but stress does impact my bloods. It seems my body makes a glucose contribution, just in case I need to execute either flight or fight.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I also find that exercise increases my blood sugar levels- I look on it as the body using some of the stored glucose so hopefully there will be less in the future. That doesn't make the readings any more fun when they are higher than I would like.

When you say low carb- how many carbs are you eating a day? I am being quite strict but also not trying to concentrate on weight loss but just getting the blood sugar levels down. Maybe the stress of seeing higher numbers and not losing weight when you are trying hard is effecting the blood sugar levels- stress certainly increases my levels.

Sounds like you have a lot on your plate-chronic fatigue syndrome is hard. I have no expertise or experience but have had clients with CFS and it is hard. Maybe try swimming for 5 minutes then just floating for a while then swimming again? Just a thought as I say- no expertise.

Sorry you are having such a hard time of it- Keep trying and posting- my sympathies to you with so much to deal with. Good luck.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My BG goes up, temporarily, when I exercise vigorously. Say, 2-3 hours before it drops back. As far as I understand it, my liver is releasing glucose to keep my energy up. What is “vigorous” has changed overtime - the more fit I have become, the more I am able to push myself without a BG increase. But a solid lifting session always raises it - 1 point usually, for 2-3 hours and then my postprandial rocks for 24 hours after. When you say it went from 8.4 to 9.0 “daily average”, you mean you swam several days in a week and your average went up. Long term?