When do you have your first HbA1C test after diagnosis?

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I had my original test (and I was dianosed as T2 from this) on May 30th which was 80/ 9.5 mmol .My GP told me I should then be tested after 3 months (which would be en dof August). I phoned the surgery to ask if I needed to book the blood test now and she said my GP told her that there was no need and to call at the end of December to book a test. Is this usual? They said the first test would be 3 months on the DESMOND course too. I'm a bit confused, but would like to see if I have lowered my HbA1C levels and also to begin reducing my Metformin dosage (I'm on the maximum dose per day) if possible.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I had my original test (and I was dianosed as T2 from this) on May 30th which was 80/ 9.5 mmol .My GP told me I should then be tested after 3 months (which would be en dof August). I phoned the surgery to ask if I needed to book the blood test now and she said my GP told her that there was no need and to call at the end of December to book a test. Is this usual? They said the first test would be 3 months on the DESMOND course too. I'm a bit confused, but would like to see if I have lowered my HbA1C levels and also to begin reducing my Metformin dosage (I'm on the maximum dose per day) if possible.

I was diagnosed on May 24th and got an hbac1 and next one was August 8th. It came down by 38. DN just asked me if I wanted one.

If you have a meter, you can get a rough idea of where it will be from the 90 day average readings on it.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3 months for me. I would argue that you have made a change to your diet and want to see if you are on the right track.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I also had 3 month retest after initial diagnosis. Most T2s on here seem to, except those who are 'borderline' with an initial reading of 48 who are usually retested after two weeks to confirm diagnosis.

D

Deleted member 308541

It was three months for me when I was first diagnosed T2 to have a new hba1c blood test.

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your replies. I don't know why he said 3 months at the initial diagnosis appointment and now is saying December, but I will phone again. I might end up asking for an appointment with another Dr just to get the form signed for the blood test.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
3 months for me as well. If you use a blood glucose meter, record your food and results in a free app called mySugr. Gives you an estimated HbA1c after a few days. Highly motivating and firly close to the real thing.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
3 months is the recommended time, mainly to check for improvement or deterioration, and to see if meds are needed or need changing. I think this is in the NICE recommendations. After that it can move to 6 months, and then 12 months when all is stable and tickety boo.

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for replying. Without the kind posters on this forum I would still be feeling the same shock and fear that I felt when I was first diagnosed and just left to get on with it by my GP.