Bolus Insulin

ChazE

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm T2 using metformin, novorapid, abasaglar and bydureon
My question is, I am on quite a large dose of abasaglar (long acting) insulin. I'm on 178 units per day, at present I take 3 doses of 59 units at the same time each day, around 10am.
Would I be best splitting these doses up into maybe 3 doses over the day. At present my BG at breakfast is between 12 and 16.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Splitting your basal dosage is something you would need to discuss with your diabetic team.
Most folk splitting thier basal dose tend to administer 2 doses 12 hours apart?

What strength absaglar are you using?
For some insulin dependant diabetics, it's possible to have a stronger strength (a 300u as opposed to the standard 100u.) thus cutting the amount needed to dose..?

Reactions: ChazE

ChazE

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
100u/mL in a 3mL pen
I may try splitting it into 2 at 12 hours thanks.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
100u/mL in a 3mL pen
I may try splitting it into 2 at 12 hours thanks.

In your position, I'd ask my clinic about U300 insulin, which would mean you'd only need to inject 59 units per day ....

Reactions: ChazE

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
In your position, I'd ask my clinic about U300 insulin, which would mean you'd only need to inject 59 units per day ....
They’d still need 178u daily; it would just be in a third of the original volume of liquid.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Diabetes management is about more than insulin doses and timing.
How much carbohydrate are you eating per day and is your weight within a normal range and finally, are you prescribed any medications which could affect your body’s sensitivity to insulin?
All of the above might affect your insulin requirements and thus the dosage and the way it might be timed,