Looking for advice

I was diagnosed diabetic in January this year after failing and eyesight test for a new job, which ended up with going to the opticians for a check up. I found out my glasses and contacts prescription had changed drastically in a 6month. This to my mother (who is type 1) doing a test on me. My reading was off the scale on her meter, so a trip to A&E another prick test with a reading of over 33.3, followed by two hours in A&E on a saline drip an insulin injection and bloods taken. Two days later I was put on insulin and metformin. About a month after that I had my meeting with a diabetic consultant who adjusting the dose of insulin and told I was LADA. I then had an appointment booked to see him again in May, had more blood tests and had the appointment cancelled by the hospital. Went in today for the rescheduled appointment, to have my diagnosis downgraded to type 2, and talk of changing my meds. The doctor I saw today what’s me to go on either Victoza or Trulicity. Now I’ve tried to find info on these two medications in the UK but no luck, in fact the website given with the Victoza doesn’t even exist anymore. Is anyone taking either of these, and if so what are the pros and cons, side effects etc?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I would be really leery about that change of diagnosis when your mother is a type 1. The thing is with LADA, it is very slow developing. You need two tests done, GAD to test for antibodies, it is usually positive if you are a type 1, there are rare cases where it's not. The second test is a C-peptide test. That will tell you how much insulin you are making. LADA's still make insulin, 8 years plus, but it decreases over time. But a type 2 especially at the beginning makes extra insulin compensating for the insulin not working well and insulin resistance so they will be on the higher side.

A third of type 1's are misdiagnosed as a type 2 at first. It still happens far too often. Both those medications are for a type 2, and while maybe a type 1 could take them, they don't normally. A type 1 treatment is solved by insulin which they definitely need as time goes on. Victoza literally about killed me I got so sick when I took it. I was a misdiagnosed type 1 and it was probably because I needed insulin more than anything.

Your mother being a type 1, means the tendency is in your family. You don't say what tests were done, but I would get copies and start looking up the results yourself. Sometimes the interpretation of the results could be different among different doctors. Obviously there is a problem with so many type 1's still being misdiagnosed.

Reactions: Prem51
Thanks for the reply Marie, I’m doubting seeing has now recently I’ve been getting reading of 14-15 in mornings before I eat. I was told I was negative for antibodies and ketones, but I have noticed my urine is having a stronger sweetly, sickly odour recently and I’m displaying the thirst and frequent weeing symptoms again.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
There are a few people that test negative for the antibodies but still their insulin production declines. There are a few antibody tests and sometimes they only test for the one that is most common. And there are the ones they don't have a clue to maybe test for? My Type 1 Diabetic Educationist is one of those that doesn't make insulin but she doesn't test positive for the antibodies.

But get copies of the tests because I ran across someone that had trace antibodies and they originally told her she wasn't a type 1. But she was on the low scale of making insulin and still had the antibodies which to me scream type 1.

Anyway you can look them up yourself and if they haven't done all of them maybe you need more tests done. But you could also take them for a second opinion somewhere else if something doesn't look right. If you're not type 1 your C peptide should be on the higher end.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thanks for the reply Marie, I’m doubting seeing has now recently I’ve been getting reading of 14-15 in mornings before I eat. I was told I was negative for antibodies and ketones, but I have noticed my urine is having a stronger sweetly, sickly odour recently and I’m displaying the thirst and frequent weeing symptoms again.

Well, if your mother is T1 then you probably know all about DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis). It sounds like you may have been close to it when diagnosed. You should be able to buy ketone urine testing strips from the chemist/pharmacy. I'd get some and check for ketones. While the urine test isn't as accurate as blood testing it should act as a warning that you're at risk for DKA.

Get medical help immediately (at least ring 111 for advice) if you're showing high ketones because you really really don't want DKA, and if you're T1 rather than T2 then insulin is really the only treatment that will keep you healthy.

I second @Marie 2 's suggestion of a c-peptide test. The number of T1's initially misdiagnosed as T2 is shocking (a recent article said 38% of adult T1's in the UK) and you don't want to be one of them.

Good luck.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to point out, all tests done in the first 6 months are notoriously unreliable. In the NHS guidelines it does advise waiting. It sounds like Type 1 to me and I would want serious answers as to why they have downgraded it. There are so many older people diagnosed incorrectly these days. (54 myself)

Dark Horse

Info about Victoza: https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drug/liraglutide.html
Info about Trulicity: https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drug/dulaglutide.html

If your blood glucose rises above approx 10 mmol/litre the kidney can't reabsorb it all after filtration and it will spill over into the urine. This has an osmotic effect and causes larger volumes of urine to be produced. This, in turn, causes thirst.

It's a good idea to monitor your blood glucose carefully and if you are having trouble keeping it under control, go back to your GP. I second @EllieM 's advice about testing for ketones.