What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I hope your new household is all settling down and keeping shoes and books, etc., in high places. Just as long as the girls don't store their handbags and things with the Christmas decorations, Dennis should be fine. ;) You mentioned the move with a lorry; I know more or less what a lorry is but I'm not sure just which "trucks" as I call them would classify as lorries. Are all these lorries?

free-truck-icons-vector.jpg

Thanks Saskia things are settling down nicely and Dennis is enjoying having a couple more playmates and another laundry basket to filch underwear out of! It is SO embarrassing ( yet very funny) when he comes proudly strutting in with a trophy of someone’s sock or knickers.

I think I’d probably call all those lorries except the smaller one on the second row right. I’d call that a truck

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I hope your new household is all settling down and keeping shoes and books, etc., in high places. Just as long as the girls don't store their handbags and things with the Christmas decorations, Dennis should be fine. ;) You mentioned the move with a lorry; I know more or less what a lorry is but I'm not sure just which "trucks" as I call them would classify as lorries. Are all these lorries?

free-truck-icons-vector.jpg

Thanks Saskia things are settling down nicely and Dennis is enjoying having a couple more playmates and another laundry basket to filch underwear out of! It is SO embarrassing ( yet very funny) when he comes proudly strutting in with a trophy of someone’s sock or knickers.

I think I’d probably call all those lorries except the smaller one on the second row right. I’d call that a truck

Reactions: Debandez

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 noticed recently thatall the bin lorries round here are Dennis

Haha that’s right. He could be channeling his inner bin lorry with the amount of rubbish he eats! I’m forever hooking revolting things out of his mouth: a lot of snails and slugs at the moment yuk!
Hope you have a lovely restful weekend away.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 this morning. A nice run of mid 5s recently. Long may it last ( it won’t)
Haven’t been posting much as I’ve hurt my shoulder and my one fingered tapping at my phone just seems to exacerbate it.
I think it’s a combo of carrying a far too heavy handbag for many years, plus holding Dennis when he’s pulling at the lead. He’s remarkably strong and we are doing a lot of lead walking training at the mo to improve it.
I am still lurking and enjoying reading about everyone’s day but trying to type left handed is too much hassle. Enjoy the bank hol weekend all.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hot off the press and sharing on my favourite thread.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/9...in-i-just-had-to-beat-it-by-changing-my-diet/

Shared on my Facebook and this was 1st comment!!!

Well done Debra!!!
I introduced mum to low carb eating after Dad passed away and she came to stay with us for a few weeks in March. I told her about you and your diabetes. She has been insulin dependent for a few years now and couldn’t control her sugar levels. She has kept it up and is enjoying food again after years of eating just what dad wanted, sandwiches, chips etc. her doctor, after trying to regulate her sugar levels without success, has taken her off the insulin injections completely. She has been needle free for a few weeks now and has never felt better. She will be in UK next month until November so you may meet her.

My reply

You have no idea how happy this makes me feel. It is possible to come off insulin and meds but not everyone will want to change their lifestyle. Please say well done to your mum. I would LOVE to meet her. We are told once on meds that's it. It's a progressive disease. We will eventually end up on insulin and there is nothing we can do about it. This is why I'm doing this. There IS an alternate and it doesnt cost anything. It could save the NHS billions if they just advocated it. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!!! Xxxx

My Facebook post:
Read all about it! A week of diabetes in The Sun.

I wasnt sure if they would include my story or when it would be in if so. I didnt get to proof read the tons of info I gave in my interview but this sums it up really well. They have included a photo of my dear mum . and also my beautiful granddaughter Willow and my 2nd mum, auntie Bernie which I'm thrilled about because it helps to make it very real. The photo of the bigger me was from 2014. I hate it but it shows me at the biggest. And the reason I put on weight I know now was down to insulin resistance. My body was struggling to deal with the sugar and consequently was storing it as fat!

Yes I thought I ate healthy, brown bread, pasta rice potatoes, 'healthy' cereal. Fruit and fruit juice. Not only was it too many carbs (which turn to sugar), which lead me to my type 2 diagnosis, but I ate too often. I've cut carbs right back. I've increased my healthy fat intake. Cut out processed food as its loaded with sugar, often hidden under over 50 different names. I eat like my granny used to eat basically. Carbs give you energy, when you cut back your body uses fat for its energy. As a result i lost weight rapidly. And the biggy for me was I didnt feel hungry as fats keep you full for longer. Fat is our friend not our enemy.

Yes I'm classed as in remission. But I will always be diabetic. If I go back to my old ways it would no doubt come back. The way I look at it is I have a dads army fighting the sugar inside me whereas non diabetics have the SAS. But I can control it well with diet. And I still love my food. One of the photos shows me eating a boxed salad from Kate's, my local butty shop. They are enormous and I eat the lot (I ask for a low carb option). Freshly cooked joint every day. And my naked kebab from Armenian kebab house on a Saturday night smothered in chilli sauce and garlic mayo has been the highlight of my week!.

I would encourage everyone to know their numbers. The test for t2d is called a hba1c. I was diagnosed at 62 or 7.8%. 48 and over is diabetic. 42 to 47 is prediabetic. I got down to 39 in a short space of time and my symptoms disappeared, dry mouth, blurry vision, itchy skin, IBS, severe and constant heartburn for weeks, regular yeast infections, skin tags!

I would also encourage testing with a blood glucose monitor. This will tell you what foods you are ok eating and those to avoid, the ones that spike your bloods. Spikes cause complications like nerve damage (neuropathy) eyesight problems, kidney damage, a higher risk for heart attack and stroke. Skin problems and much more. Diabetes can effect every part of the body.

My mum suffered with her type 2 diabetes as many do. I remember the community nurse coming every day to dress her leg wounds that just would not heal. Injecting higher and higher amounts of insulin. She could not see by this point and just used to listen to the clicks of her insulin pen to know how much to inject. It was so sad to see and upsets me to think about it.

There are horror stories out there surrounding diabetes. I dont want to be one of them. And if i can raise awareness to others anyway I can I will.

I'm currently working with my surgery Adelaide St. Patients helping patients. Social prescribing. I next have a room Wednesday 11th Sept. PM. If you are a patient at Harris Medical or Adelaide and you are interested in a one to one to talk over your own concerns about diabetes or maybe feel you need to lose a few lbs then contact reception and book in. Very informal.

I felt devastated on my diagnosis. I was told it was a progressive disease. I felt lost. Incredibly worried and guilty that I had done this to myself. I was given a whole load of leaflets to read and booked on a DESMOND course. It would have been wonderful to have been able to talk to someone, someone who.could give me hope and not despair. I found that help and support online at diabetes.co.uk after googling 'reversing diabetes'!!! Never looked back. I have made some very good friends on the forum. Learned from experts. And we have a great laugh along the way.

It has indeed been a blessing in disguise as I have never felt better. Long may it last.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Today Peter the meter contemptuously disgorged a sneering approximation of the England batting average in a sadistic attempt at humour - 5.2 - all very so so. Yesterday was a big re-feed in between 2 weekends of hospital food and I actually ate red meat - 400 gms steak. It was ok but the skinny bread toast and butter I had earlier was much nicer and salad is still in a whole other league.@DJC3 sorry to hear about the shoulder but are we supposed to have sympathy for you hauling around excessive wealth?:angelic: @jjraak, as @trick60 says a hugely moving story and wonderful sounding counsellor. @ziggy_w great to see you back and fantastic last A1c. @Muddy Cyclist have a great picnic. Enjoy the Bank Holiday sun if you can and if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
H
@Debandez that article was brilliant. Kinda a shame the sun put a DUK video of someone saying breakfast is important I have toast and grapefruit at the end of it though!

5.4 this morning for me. Looking forward to going out today. Everyone have a good day!

That wont be in the paper just a live advert. Worst possible! Hey hoe.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A part of me wants to send a message to DUK as a type 2 with terrible complications from diabetes who’s never heard of low carb and ask them if what the sun is saying that low carb is good advice. And if they sun is saying it why aren’t my diabetic nurse. See what DUK say then.
Just play a little dumb, got the web address a bit confused and ended up there.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have three “pirates” charging round the dining room with cardboard swords and tea towel pirate turbans on - I guess they are somewhere in the eastern Med.

The wonder wheel of chaos, mayhem and a very loud Little Miss Pamplemousse uttered a soft 5.4 when I first woke at 0430.

@jjraak - a brave post.
Great article @Debandez - Pity about the advert bombing on the interweb.

Have a great day everyone, hotter than a hot thing already up here in the not so dark but still dangerous north. If you are heading out in a caravan this weekend - go south - the roads are expecting you.

Reactions: ziggy_w and geefull

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
fbg 7.3

I had my diabetic yearly review yesterday.

My HbA1c was 57, so that has gone down.

But my blood tests show I have reduced kidney function. That was a bolt out of the blue. I have to go for more tests. So I was not in a good place yesterday afternoon.

But by the time I went to bed I had put my mind back on track. I researched links to do with all aspects of kidneys, as well as food. And put these links on my home page of my tablet.

The sun is out. It is lovely out there. So I am going out on my thatched swing (with my sunglasses on to protect my eyes) with the cat. And with a pen and notebook, and make notes from those kidney links.

I have only just got my diet/food worked out for getting my blood sugars on an even keel, so that is part of what affected me badly yesterday and put me into momentarily despair.

There is something I say to myself:
"Be still and know that I am God at work in this situation now"
I repeat it over and over when I need to.

Something good will work out from this.

I will enjoy this day.
So will you.
Take care

>^..^<

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hot off the press and sharing on my favourite thread.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/9...in-i-just-had-to-beat-it-by-changing-my-diet/

Shared on my Facebook and this was 1st comment!!!

Well done Debra!!!
I introduced mum to low carb eating after Dad passed away and she came to stay with us for a few weeks in March. I told her about you and your diabetes. She has been insulin dependent for a few years now and couldn’t control her sugar levels. She has kept it up and is enjoying food again after years of eating just what dad wanted, sandwiches, chips etc. her doctor, after trying to regulate her sugar levels without success, has taken her off the insulin injections completely. She has been needle free for a few weeks now and has never felt better. She will be in UK next month until November so you may meet her.

My reply

You have no idea how happy this makes me feel. It is possible to come off insulin and meds but not everyone will want to change their lifestyle. Please say well done to your mum. I would LOVE to meet her. We are told once on meds that's it. It's a progressive disease. We will eventually end up on insulin and there is nothing we can do about it. This is why I'm doing this. There IS an alternate and it doesnt cost anything. It could save the NHS billions if they just advocated it. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!!! Xxxx

My Facebook post:
Read all about it! A week of diabetes in The Sun.

I wasnt sure if they would include my story or when it would be in if so. I didnt get to proof read the tons of info I gave in my interview but this sums it up really well. They have included a photo of my dear mum . and also my beautiful granddaughter Willow and my 2nd mum, auntie Bernie which I'm thrilled about because it helps to make it very real. The photo of the bigger me was from 2014. I hate it but it shows me at the biggest. And the reason I put on weight I know now was down to insulin resistance. My body was struggling to deal with the sugar and consequently was storing it as fat!

Yes I thought I ate healthy, brown bread, pasta rice potatoes, 'healthy' cereal. Fruit and fruit juice. Not only was it too many carbs (which turn to sugar), which lead me to my type 2 diagnosis, but I ate too often. I've cut carbs right back. I've increased my healthy fat intake. Cut out processed food as its loaded with sugar, often hidden under over 50 different names. I eat like my granny used to eat basically. Carbs give you energy, when you cut back your body uses fat for its energy. As a result i lost weight rapidly. And the biggy for me was I didnt feel hungry as fats keep you full for longer. Fat is our friend not our enemy.

Yes I'm classed as in remission. But I will always be diabetic. If I go back to my old ways it would no doubt come back. The way I look at it is I have a dads army fighting the sugar inside me whereas non diabetics have the SAS. But I can control it well with diet. And I still love my food. One of the photos shows me eating a boxed salad from Kate's, my local butty shop. They are enormous and I eat the lot (I ask for a low carb option). Freshly cooked joint every day. And my naked kebab from Armenian kebab house on a Saturday night smothered in chilli sauce and garlic mayo has been the highlight of my week!.

I would encourage everyone to know their numbers. The test for t2d is called a hba1c. I was diagnosed at 62 or 7.8%. 48 and over is diabetic. 42 to 47 is prediabetic. I got down to 39 in a short space of time and my symptoms disappeared, dry mouth, blurry vision, itchy skin, IBS, severe and constant heartburn for weeks, regular yeast infections, skin tags!

I would also encourage testing with a blood glucose monitor. This will tell you what foods you are ok eating and those to avoid, the ones that spike your bloods. Spikes cause complications like nerve damage (neuropathy) eyesight problems, kidney damage, a higher risk for heart attack and stroke. Skin problems and much more. Diabetes can effect every part of the body.

My mum suffered with her type 2 diabetes as many do. I remember the community nurse coming every day to dress her leg wounds that just would not heal. Injecting higher and higher amounts of insulin. She could not see by this point and just used to listen to the clicks of her insulin pen to know how much to inject. It was so sad to see and upsets me to think about it.

There are horror stories out there surrounding diabetes. I dont want to be one of them. And if i can raise awareness to others anyway I can I will.

I'm currently working with my surgery Adelaide St. Patients helping patients. Social prescribing. I next have a room Wednesday 11th Sept. PM. If you are a patient at Harris Medical or Adelaide and you are interested in a one to one to talk over your own concerns about diabetes or maybe feel you need to lose a few lbs then contact reception and book in. Very informal.

I felt devastated on my diagnosis. I was told it was a progressive disease. I felt lost. Incredibly worried and guilty that I had done this to myself. I was given a whole load of leaflets to read and booked on a DESMOND course. It would have been wonderful to have been able to talk to someone, someone who.could give me hope and not despair. I found that help and support online at diabetes.co.uk after googling 'reversing diabetes'!!! Never looked back. I have made some very good friends on the forum. Learned from experts. And we have a great laugh along the way.

It has indeed been a blessing in disguise as I have never felt better. Long may it last.

BRILLIANT...absolutely BRILLIANT.
Sums it it all up perfectly.:D

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
fbg 7.3

But my blood tests show I have reduced kidney function. That was a bolt out of the blue. I have to go for more tests. So I was not in a good place yesterday afternoon.

But by the time I went to bed I had put my mind back on track. I researched links to do with all aspects of kidneys, as well as food. And put these links on my home page of my tablet.

The sun is out. It is lovely out there. So I am going out on my thatched swing (with my sunglasses on to protect my eyes) with the cat. And with a pen and notebook, and make notes from those kidney links.

I have only just got my diet/food worked out for getting my blood sugars on an even keel, so that is part of what affected me badly yesterday and put me into momentarily despair.

I will enjoy this day.
So will you.
Take care

>^..^<
I gave s hug....but wanted to give a thumbs up, for the tenacity and determined will you certainly have.
Love How that rocked you, yet you just dusted yourself and prepared to get back in the fight..Kudos.

What doesn't kill us...

Better run liked crazy, when we get back up
Because it didn't kill.. It just made us mad as hell.

Enjoy the day, @gennepher :)

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
fbg 7.3

I will enjoy this day.
So will you.
Take care

>^..^<
@gennepher empathy for you with the sudden shock of kidney issues after all the hard work on diet for blood sugars. Fully agree with trust in God in these times. This time next year we will both be looking back on this period of our lives and seeing more clearly what God has been doing in our lives. Take care.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I gave s hug....but wanted to give a thumbs up, for the tenacity and determined will you certainly have.
Love How that rocked you, yet you just dusted yourself and prepared to get back in the fight..Kudos.

What doesn't kill us...

Better run liked crazy, when we get back up
Because it didn't kill.. It just made us mad as hell.

Enjoy the day, @gennepher :)

Thank you very much @jjraak :)

I love that "Better run like crazy...."

You have a good day

>^..^<

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher empathy for you with the sudden shock of kidney issues after all the hard work on diet for blood sugars. Fully agree with trust in God in these times. This time next year we will both be looking back on this period of our lives and seeing more clearly what God has been doing in our lives. Take care.

Thank you so much for your words @ianpspurs

I love that you have given me that emoji hug. It is actually very uplifting to receive.

You have a good day

>^..^<

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excellent coverage Debs...you look fantastic & what a positive account of T2 diabetes management...lets hope it's an inspiration to others who are wandering about lost in all the confusing/negative advice given to T2's...what a fantastic job you're doing.

Reactions: geefull