Two months in..

Jenkyk89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all,

Firstly I'd just like to thank everyone who posts/gives advise in the forums, I've been lurking on a lot of posts these past few month gathering advise and tips to help me on my journey and you've all helped massively.

I was diagnosed a little over two months ago after 2 bouts of thrush which would not clear with the oral tablet. A visit to the clinic and a finger prick test with a reading of 19.6 (fasting) resulted in them shipping me straight off to the doctors! After a lot of trips to see my local diabetic nurse and what felt like about 25 blood tests (my poor veins) I was diagnosed with type 1 and had a hba1c of 104. Had all the tests done and only one came back slightly positive type 1 so I'm only in the early stages, I think anyway! I was placed on insulin, 2 units of humalog with meals, 4 units of lantus once a day and sent on my merry way with a massive bag of goodies.

So here we are two months in, no hypos as of yet, a handful of double figure readings (mostly when I'm out drinking alcohol or after a craving of fish and chips) I've just been back to the doctors for some blood tests and my hba1c is at 62. Now I'm no expert but going off what I've been reading on this forum I'm definitely heading in the correct direction.
I'd also like to point out I've worked with a couple of lads with diabetes who were also on insulin so I kind of had a head start regarding carb counting, good and bad food etc.

After reading some horror stories about people getting little help and just sent away to fend for themselves I thought I'd also shout out my local diabetic nurse as she's been fantastic for me!

Thanks again!

Ps. Apologies for the massive post..
IMG_20190824_091815.jpeg
IMG_20190824_091755.jpeg

Reactions: Prem51

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was placed on insulin, 2 units of humalog with meals, 4 units of lantus once a day
So here we are two months in, no hypos as of yet, a handful of double figure readings (mostly when I'm out drinking alcohol or after a craving of fish and chips)
Well done!
Usually, the next step is adjusting your insulin dose to the amount of carbs you eat. Has your diabetes nurse mentioned the DAFNE course yet? I'm not in the UK, but from what I've heard it's very useful to get your head around carb counting and dosing for different foods.
Good luck!

Reactions: Prem51 and Jenkyk89

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
If not DAFNE then ask your DSN or dietician to go through carb counting with you.

Jenkyk89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks a lot! Yeah we've spoke about the DAFNE course and I will be put on it by the hospital once available. I'm also on a 3 hour carb counting course at the end of this month which I presume is about the basics, anyone have any info on this? I've kind of worked out that my ratio is around 10/1 but I'll obviously wait till I'm told too before I start using it..

TIGERLILY1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jenkyk89

Your journey sounds so similar to mine! I too had recurrent thrush and had very similar readings to you. My HbA1c was 105 at diagnosis. How old are you if you dont mind me asking?

I was only diagnosed 1 month ago (yesterday) so it's really refreshing to see how well you're doing. You should be so proud of your HbA1c in just 2 months. I am documenting everything on my blog - diabeticunicorn.co.uk so please feel free to take a look!

Jxx

Reactions: Jenkyk89

Jenkyk89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @TIGERLILY1991,

Thanks a lot ...
I'm 29, I'm guessing by your handle on here we are a similar age too? I read the post you put in the forum the other day and it was basically like reading my own story haha. I've also already read all your blogs (unless you've posted today) and they're a very good read. I have a friend who has the same job as yourself so I can imagine how difficult it must be dealing with the diabetes aswell. Keep up the good work!!

Reactions: TIGERLILY1991

TIGERLILY1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @TIGERLILY1991,

Thanks a lot ...
I'm 29, I'm guessing by your handle on here we are a similar age too? I read the post you put in the forum the other day and it was basically like reading my own story haha. I've also already read all your blogs (unless you've posted today) and they're a very good read. I have a friend who has the same job as yourself so I can imagine how difficult it must be dealing with the diabetes aswell. Keep up the good work!!

We are indeed, I turned 28 on 17th! Ah no I haven't posted today as unfortunately, I have been at work. It has been interesting managing at work but they have been really helpful and willing to make any adaptations if needed.

Thank you, and to you as well! I had to fill in a survey yesterday asking what I hope my next HbA1c to be and I thought 80 was pushing it. Glad to see below 70 is achievable.

Jxx