Please help with first hypo!!

Joeypritch

Hi all,

I found out early on, about 16 weeks that I seem to have gestational diabetes, maybe type 2. 26 weeks now...

I've recently started taking 2 units of fiasp with my evening meal and my bedtime insulin to control fasting levels is at 23 units, this goes up a unit every few days :(

This morning I woke up with a 3.1 and felt absolutely awful, dizzy, sweaty, wrong, so ate my four jelly babies and after 15 mins my sugars were back to 6.7, I ate some cheese, then after half hour-40 mins from original reading I was 8.7!!! Now two hours later im im st at 7.0....

Is this normal?? I didn't realise readings stayed high for so long and now I'm reluctant to have brekkie because I don't want sugar levels over the 7.8 limit again!!???

Any advice??

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Can't comment on the advisability of breakfast, because I'm really not familiar with gestational diabetes. I'm guessing you can't phone your clinic at the weekend???

But, rebounds after hypos are common and really hard to avoid, you've done well to keep it down to 8.7. (Well done for controlling your hypos hunger, it's really hard not to empty the fridge when you're hypo.)

Speaking as a T1 who's had two successful T1 pregnancies (kids are in their twenties now), I think you managed it very very well. Your baby won't have been harmed by the 3.1 or the 8.7.

Good luck.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Joeypritch ,

Welcome to the forum. I don't have GD. But I am an ID T1.

Your figures sound about right to me. (However not all metabolisms are the same.)

By all means take breakfast. You can't go hungry. & keep testing & logging trends with your BGs which in turn will help your diabetic team to help you..

Well handled with the hypo, by the way!

Joeypritch

I get really confused with all the numbers and food pairings still, my target an hour after meals is 7.8 the after two hours 6.4, but I can eat what I thought was a really well paired meal and get an 8.5 after half an hour. Which then others put the fears into me that this is really bad for baby :( really enjoy hearing other diabetics positive stories, which is what led me here and already you guys have made me feel a million times better so thankyou :) xxx

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Welcome. Make sure you phone your diabetes team with your numbers. They have much lower blood sugar targets for pregnancy. Best wishes to you during this time.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get really confused with all the numbers and food pairings still, my target an hour after meals is 7.8 the after two hours 6.4, but I can eat what I thought was a really well paired meal and get an 8.5 after half an hour. Which then others put the fears into me that this is really bad for baby :( really enjoy hearing other diabetics positive stories, which is what led me here and already you guys have made me feel a million times better so thankyou :) xxx

Hi,

Fretting about what looks like decent numbers can push them higher? (Stress.)
Certain meal combinations digest differently on any given day in contrast to the working insulin on board profile..
Your average home test meter can read 15% higher than the calibrated NHS issue your nurse may have?
(I've checked this out by comparison many times from the same puncture wound.)

Stay calm, enjoy your pregnacy & always carry fast acting carbs just incase of those pesky lows..

Joeypritch

I think you may be right, I had been advised to have four jelly babies, I ate two and did think about leaving it there but decided that as I'd been told four and I felt so grim I'd eat the others too, but actually, the first two probably would have done the job and raised the sugars enough but not too much! Am meeting with the professionals on Wednesday so will discuss then :)

Thanks everyone for your input and experiences :)