Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
That would be an experiment indeed.

I wouldn’t describe it as a geologist’s dream. Geologists have a role to ensure sustainability aswell as to exploit the geologically derived wealth on the planet.

In my case it has been my livelihood and one that has evaporated recently owing in part to alternative energy sources being developed.
Recently at a Geol Soc meeting several geologists told me they are looking for work, it’s not just changing fuel types but changing survey processes, changing mining laws and economics that have an effect.

lindisfel

Expert
Geologists know what happened when all the stored co2 went into the atmosphere at the K/T boundary!
Do we want to turn this planet into another Venus?
D.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some threads are moderated if they divert slightly off topic and then others.........

lindisfel

Expert
I thought this was a soapbox? The way we treat the planet will make sure man keeps getting the correct nutrition.

Something is seriously wrong with what we are eating and and the way we are producing food. People were generally slim when I was at school in the forties and fifties.

I see the whole process in a holistic way.
But perhaps we all should wear blinkers and eat oats from a nose bag! :)
D.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As the OP I would just like to say that I don't consider talk about anything that concerna the future of the planet to be off topic. I like the way the thread has developped and as long as everyone stays civil then all's good.

Sorry I haven't contributed lately. My wifi at home is playing up.

Reactions: jjraak

lindisfel

Expert
As the OP I would just like to say that I don't consider talk about anything that concerna the future of the planet to be off topic. I like the way the thread has developped and as long as everyone stays civil then all's good.

Sorry I haven't contributed lately. My wifi at home is playing up.
Good to see you Zand.
Best wishes
Derek

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought this was a soapbox? The way we treat the planet will make sure man keeps getting the correct nutrition.

Something is seriously wrong with what we are eating and and the way we are producing food. People were generally slim when I was at school in the forties and fifties.

I see the whole process in a holistic way.
But perhaps we all should wear blinkers and eat oats from a nose bag! :)
D.
I speak as one who has had posts deleted for being off topic, seems a bit abitrary, but I take your point that this thread is in the soapbox section.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Recently at a Geol Soc meeting several geologists told me they are looking for work, it’s not just changing fuel types but changing survey processes, changing mining laws and economics that have an effect.
If you are a rock sniffer then you might be aware of Iain Stewart’s stance on this, down in Plymouth.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Geologists know what happened when all the stored co2 went into the atmosphere at the K/T boundary!
Do we want to turn this planet into another Venus?
D.
You must wield a toffee hammer too, then.

lindisfel

Expert
No Listlad,
I am just a seed picker as the philosophers on Mars Hill in Athens described St Paul in Greek in the NT.

I have been interested in geology, since as a child, a friend and I went down a brick pit near Lincoln and gathered fossils.
I do have a rather nice trilobite from North Africa my daughter bought me.

My lifelong interest is in birds, but I was a broadcast engineer by profession but finished up working in medical physics at a hospital fixing linacs.

I found U3A geology interesting, but I thought as an amateur I had no right to knock rocks apart and leave a mess.

Why people today say life is boring I cant understand.
Up here the geomorphology of the last Ice Age is fascinating in itself.

Some people have spent a lifetime studying fleas! :)

ATB
D.

Reactions: Listlad

dms1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
dms1, it's not a food preference for me. It's a necessity.

Gosh, I know I'm repeating myself but there is no one diet that works for everyone. And when you add autoimmune disease on top of the diabetes, what one can eat and not eat becomes even more complex.

And diabetes medications and/or insulin, while necessary some, is not a good long term strategy for most type 2's. That leaves diet, physical activity, time restricted feeding, and fasting to maintain blood glucose levels.

I think we need to be honest about what's workable and not workable when discussing diet and climate change. India has a huge problem with diabetes. When the mother is undernourished during pregnancy, the child is far more likely to be predisposed to developing type 2 diabetes despite having a normal BMI...

I think Bee Wilson would not argue with what you say about needing a specific diet (she is an omnivore herself) but what she does so well is put that into a global context.

She also uses the example you quote of people from the Indian sub continent being more predisposed to T2D because of undernourishment in the womb but highlights the fact that this is lack of food more than type of food consumed. Did you see the report about various poorer African countries having a healthier diet composition than the wealthy West? This analysed the type of foods eaten (usually vegetables) but acknowledged that people could still be undernourished because they didn't have enough to eat.

Plant-based eating would clearly feed more people on a global level but whether that would be a popular move is another matter altogether. I think it's called a 'wicked problem'.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As a biologist, mostly, when I had a problem with ants I hatched out some quail eggs and put their pen on the paving slabs being undermined by the nest. Rather than poisoning the ants I got quail eggs, and I suppose, quails to roast if I got very hungry.

Reactions: Winnie53

Rob311

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
why should it be a choice when the science is wrong about going veggie to avert climate change?

This discussion is about dietary choices, not choices between fuel and food.
I agree with you, I only think simple this is about diet ! Don't infer too broad!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No Listlad,
I am just a seed picker as the philosophers on Mars Hill in Athens described St Paul in Greek in the NT.

I have been interested in geology, since as a child, a friend and I went down a brick pit near Lincoln and gathered fossils.
I do have a rather nice trilobite from North Africa my daughter bought me.

My lifelong interest is in birds, but I was a broadcast engineer by profession but finished up working in medical physics at a hospital fixing linacs.

I found U3A geology interesting, but I thought as an amateur I had no right to knock rocks apart and leave a mess.

Why people today say life is boring I cant understand.
Up here the geomorphology of the last Ice Age is fascinating in itself.

Some people have spent a lifetime studying fleas! :)

ATB
D.
Lake District?

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
I don't think it's the science that's wrong, it may not be fully developed, but that's another story.
We need to tailor the application of science and engineer things to meet our needs and the needs of the Earth's ecosystems and life.
For eg. We have not fully exploited the possibilities of hydroponics and using LED light of the correct wavelength for plant growth.

Developments along these lines could find solutions to the complex feeding problems of today.
If we spent as much money as big business has propping up an oil based society, novel solutions are on the horizon, if we can but keep our CO2 down in the next 30 years.
D.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
As a biologist, mostly, when I had a problem with ants I hatched out some quail eggs and put their pen on the paving slabs being undermined by the nest. Rather than poisoning the ants I got quail eggs, and I suppose, quails to roast if I got very hungry.
That reminds me of someone I knew who kept chickens and had a dog! Apparently the chickens ate the dog muck and dog ate the chicken muck. Now that is recycling without equal!
D.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think Bee Wilson would not argue with what you say about needing a specific diet (she is an omnivore herself) but what she does so well is put that into a global context.

She also uses the example you quote of people from the Indian sub continent being more predisposed to T2D because of undernourishment in the womb but highlights the fact that this is lack of food more than type of food consumed. Did you see the report about various poorer African countries having a healthier diet composition than the wealthy West? This analysed the type of foods eaten (usually vegetables) but acknowledged that people could still be undernourished because they didn't have enough to eat.

Plant-based eating would clearly feed more people on a global level but whether that would be a popular move is another matter altogether. I think it's called a 'wicked problem'.

dms1 I believe we need to eat plant foods to maintain and/or improve the diversity of our microbiome, also to bind with toxins being released by the body into the colon for removal from the body. We need them for their fiber, nutrients, and phytochemicals, for their healing properties. I could go on.

I have a few friends who eat a vegan or vegetarian diet. Two are healthy, and two are not. All are intelligent and capable of meeting their dietary needs with the appropriate foods and supplements, yet two of the four are unhealthy and suffering. One of those two have resumed eating some animal foods, though probably not enough, but it's probably helping some.

It's been my personal experience that the vegan and vegetarian diet works for some, and works very well, Brenda Davis is a good example, some members of this forum also serve as examples, but the diet doesn't work for others. The question is how many? I suspect the majority, but I don't know that, and I'm not willing to support this proposed grand experiment to find out.

Additionally, we need the animals to restore the health of our soil, which is where we get our minerals and microbes to be able to survive. I think however, we need to find ways to treat domestic animals more humanely.

Despite living in the center of our city with a population approaching 100,000, we have all kinds of wildlife living on our home's small city lot. Deer, raccoons, squirrels, rabbits, possum, rats and mice, birds, and of course the neighborhood domestic cats who love to sit near, watch, and sometimes play with the deer. A few weeks ago, a cat was following the deer around the yard, and a squirrel that probably has also been hunted by this particular cat, saw what was going, ran down the tree, slapped the squirrel, and ran up the tree. I kid you not. My husband could not believe what he just saw.

When we moved into this neighborhood, that's been here for 100 years, 30+ years ago, there were no deer, raccoons, squirrels, or rabbits in the neighborhood, but as adjacent, nearby land have been developed, the animals have had no choice but to adapt and live among us. It's fascinating. Our city council had to pass a law a few years ago, not sure that's the right word - (ordinance perhaps?) - to stop citizens from interacting with and hand feeding or feeding the wildlife. All that said, I love the animals that share our yard, but can't imagine domesticated cows, pigs, sheep, or goats roaming our yards and streets, though chickens, not roosters, are kind of fun. They truly need to be contained and cared for. Cougars and the smaller wild cats are already becoming a problem in cities, coyotes too. I was just talking with a friend recently and learned that bears are beginning to roam through their 5 acre wooded property. That's very recent, and they've been there for 40+ years.

All I know with certainty is that the WFPB diet will not work for me and the majority of my diabetic friends (and pre-diabetics and diabetics appear to be the majority now in the US). I eat more vegetables and leafy greens than most with every meal, but I can't eat the grains anymore, and can only eat the smallest amounts of legumes and beans. I also have to greatly limit starchy vegetables, fruits, and berries.

I think to find solutions, we need to keep idealism in check, no matter how intelligently or beautifully written.

Reactions: dms1 and jjraak

dms1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Winnie 53 - I agree with much of what you say. My own bottom line is that solutions are not either/or and they are rarely simple. As we on this forum know, everyone has unique dietary needs and what works for some is not good for others. I suppose all I would want to see is people going outside of their comfort zone to see if alternatives are viable. (I'm sure you have, by the way!)

Speaking for myself, I am persevering with a plant-based diet for ethical reasons but have recently added in (organic, free range) eggs to cope with those occasions when little is available to eat other than a bit of limp salad. And no, I don't tolerate very much at all in the way of grains either, although a small amount of beans is OK. I would have real problems if I was still working, had no time to prep real food and had to rely on vegan junk food...