Do insulin pens freeze in cargo area?

shadmehrrr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I will have a 6-hour flight to Europe next weekend. I should take a large number of insulin pens (novorapid & lantus) with myself but don't have enough space in my carry-on bag for storing them. I want to know if anyone have ever placed insulin pens in the plane cargo area and what happened to the pens?
I know it is recommended that we place pens inside carry-on baggage but want to know how serious is the risk of freezing in cargo?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reactions: No cake

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your taking medication and medical supplies you should take them in the cabin with you. You should be allowed another small bag if it’s solely medical essentials ie medication and testing supplies.

Reactions: shadmehrrr

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
No, they won't freeze as each compartment in a modern a/c is climate controlled (carriage of pets a perfect example) but I'd not consign them to anything other than carry on

Reactions: ert and shadmehrrr

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I wouldn't put insulin in the cargo hold, in any form. Could you get a refillable insulin pen and then just take the cartridges with you in the hand luggage? That should be a lot less bulky....

Alternatively I've heard that some airlines will let you take extra hand luggage if it's medical supplies that can't be put in hold storage.... In fact, that's probably the route you should take. I suggest ringing the airline and explaining that your insulin can't be put in the hold. See what they say.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No it won't freeze and your luggage will probably make. So you could take as much as possible in carry on and put the rest in the hold. But you'll still need some sort of back up plan to obtain more supplies if you're not reunited with your luggage.

shadmehrrr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank all of you for the response.
Since my journey is so long I should carry a large number of pens. For sure I will take a few ones in my hand luggage to survive in any sitation but the rest should preferablly be stored in the hold where there is enough space that's why I asked about the risk of freezing in cargo.

As Mike D and eventhorizon mentioned I think there will be no cancern of freezing.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank all of you for the response.
Since my journey is so long I should carry a large number of pens. For sure I will take a few ones in my hand luggage to survive in any sitation but the rest should preferablly be stored in the hold where there is enough space that's why I asked about the risk of freezing in cargo.

As Mike D and eventhorizon mentioned I think there will be no cancern of freezing.
It's too risky to store the majority of your insulin in the hold. If any of your insulin is unusable or damaged, it might be very difficult to get insulin in various countries you're going to. Also there is a possibility that your luggage might get lost. Your hand language should be carrying everything you need - passport, money, hypo treatments, ID, documents for your diabetes and extra medication along with your kit.
I've been to USA and various countries in EU and I always have my insulin and extras on me where I can see it and know it is there.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Don’t put insulin in the hold. Ever. You can’t be sure it won’t get spoiled by the low temperatures, is it worth the risk? It’s not like we don’t need it for basic survival... every guideline about travelling says not to put the stuff in the hold.

How much are you planning to travel with, anyway?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am confused why the length of journey is relevant.
Possibly 'long journey' means he's going to be away for a long time, rather than long flight - thus the reason for needing a lot, in which case the insulin would need to be kept refridgerated/cooled anyways if its for more than about 4 weeks.
But yeah I wouldn't want it in the hold - in fact there was a thread recently about someone doing that and their luggage got lost.

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently travelled to Algeria. And I took 3 months worth of insulin eith me. So it was a lot !!! I took it in hand luggage. Kept cool in frio wallets
Good luck with what you descide, personally I wouldn't risk being parted from it !!

D

Deleted member 308541

It takes approx six hours to fly from Brisbane (BNE) to Perth (PER), and the times we have been on the flight just taken one carry on bag with enough medication for several days for the two of us.

We do not take a unneeded stuff with us in the bag as it is a waste of space.

Hayley23472

What do you use to keep your insulin cool when travelling? I'm not on insulin but do have an injection that's kept in the fridge so wondering what is best to do?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What do you use to keep your insulin cool when travelling? I'm not on insulin but do have an injection that's kept in the fridge so wondering what is best to do?

There are bags called frio that keep insulin pens cool.