Prediabetes Fainting

jeanniefin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Yesterday I fainted 2x in quick succession while standing watching pen of otters. Had been standing 5-10mins about 40 mins after a lunch of leek & potato soup and half a cheese scone (white flour). I am normally very low carb. Could a spike and drop in blood sugar be likely. BP checked and a GP seen 3 hours later and all normal .
Last HbA1c test in July was 46. What to do if it happens again?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you are right - but whatever possessed you to have potato soup and scone - even just a half of one?
If there was nothing to eat which was low carb, I'd have had nothing at all - unless there was coffee and cream avaiable (I take my own these days)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We can faint for numerous reasons, not necessarily related to blood sugars or blood pressure. I suggest that if it happens again, or if you feel woosy on occasions, that you see your GP again. Fainting shouldn't be taken lightly, either by us or the GP.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @jeanniefin ,

I would be inclined to agree with @Bluetit1802 . It would be wise to obtain a personal BG meter? If only to rule out one of the "usual suspects." Should there be a reocurancre..

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are many reasons why some one should eat that combination.
We should be careful not to appear to judge the OP. Especially when we do not know their full situation.

I agree. The point is the poster ate it, realised the effect it (may) have had on them and then asked a question. I personally do not think the 'why on earth' statements are helpful.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yesterday I fainted 2x in quick succession while standing watching pen of otters. Had been standing 5-10mins about 40 mins after a lunch of leek & potato soup and half a cheese scone (white flour). I am normally very low carb. Could a spike and drop in blood sugar be likely. BP checked and a GP seen 3 hours later and all normal .
Last HbA1c test in July was 46. What to do if it happens again?
As others have pointed out don't assume it was something you ate. Do get it checked especially if you are taking any meds that are having an unintended side effect e.g. blood pressure drugs.
As it is hot I'd say be careful to keep your mineral levels up (having a low potassium can cause fainting for example) and when you are hot it is tempting to drink lots of water causing the loss of further minerals.
Half a scone and a little potatoe would not cause this reaction unless you perhaps had RH>

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are you on any blood sugar lowering drugs?
Do you have a blood pressure issues?
If you get up too quickly, or from bending over, do you get dizzy?

There are many reasons for feeling dizzy.
Talk to your GP.

If it is food that is causing your symptoms, then you need some more tests to find a diagnosis, taking regular glucometer readings around your meals would give you an idea of what is happening.

jeanniefin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks to all who have commented. I will talk to a GP next week. Using my finger prick testing before and after food at present to see if and where any problems may occur and to go back to redo earlier tests identifying which foods cause the biggest spikes.