Just been put on Metformin.

David Poet

Hello.
I have been working on my type 2 diabetes by diet and exercise (as much exercise as possible since I have had a stroke) and was managing to keep my level around 48.
However, the last blood test was 54 and the GP has decided to put me on to metformin and increased my statins from 20mg to 40mg.
Additionally following the death of a cousin earlier in the year to pancreatic cancer I discovered from relatives that there's a history of pancreatic cancer in the family going back several generations. Having conveyed this information to my GP earlier in the year, I think it has also influenced his decision about my now taking medication.
It is simply that I am already on meds because of my stroke, my neurological movement disorder, my generalised anxiety disorder/OCD, and now THIS! Hopefully there's not interaction between any of them (again).
Anyway I am still trying to get my head around it, and for now, just wanted to say "Hi".

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. You have a lot to process.

As I understand it (I'm a relative newbie) lots of people (including myself) are put on Metformin immediately. My understanding is that it works in the background. So it's probably not a bad thing to be prescribed that.

A]Have you got a meter? If not I recommend that you get one. That way you have the information about how your blood sugars are going on a daily basis. I couldn't cope without that information. It also helps you work out what food you can and can't eat and gives you extra incentive not to eat those things that effect your blood sugar levels.

Welcome to the forum. There is a newcomers information pack with someone will post shortly- the people here are amazing and helpful so ask any question you want and keep posting.

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello! David Poet. Welcome to the forum. You are at the right place since soon you will receive a information pack from the moderator besides, the advice from experienced members is invaluable and will help you manage your condition.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello.
I have been working on my type 2 diabetes by diet and exercise (as much exercise as possible since I have had a stroke) and was managing to keep my level around 48.
However, the last blood test was 54 and the GP has decided to put me on to metformin and increased my statins from 20mg to 40mg.
Additionally following the death of a cousin earlier in the year to pancreatic cancer I discovered from relatives that there's a history of pancreatic cancer in the family going back several generations. Having conveyed this information to my GP earlier in the year, I think it has also influenced his decision about my now taking medication.
It is simply that I am already on meds because of my stroke, my neurological movement disorder, my generalised anxiety disorder/OCD, and now THIS! Hopefully there's not interaction between any of them (again).
Anyway I am still trying to get my head around it, and for now, just wanted to say "Hi".
Hey Dave, and good morning,

Sheesh, you've got a lot to deal with. I'm just going to put my little quick-start guide here https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ , just in case the diet you're following isn't what's best for T2's and prediabetics. (We have a metabolic condition, the EatWell plate is exactly wrong for us as it doesn't take that into account). It could mean avoiding Metformin altogether. Hope it helps. If you have questions, throw them out there. There's always someone around who'll help.
All my best,
Jo

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi David and welcome to the forum!
Here is a link to our useful info post:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
I’m sorry to hear of all the challenges life has thrown at you. I just want to reassure you that although exercise is good for us generally you should be able to get your HbA1c down with Metformin and diet. When I was diagnosed I was waiting for surgery on both feet, so I tackled my type 2 with Metformin, a low carb diet and self testing with no formal exercising. Have a read of the info and come back with any questions.
Oh and just another little note, do some research on Statins and cholesterol to check if you really need the increased dose or indeed any, as Statins are known to raise blood sugars.