Type 1'stars R Us

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve never really thought about injecting into my thighs. Does it mean insulin is absorbed quicker?
Unfortunately I’m still trying to get testing strips. I’ve been eating low carbs thats to ensure I’m not spiking drastically, however I’ve had a hypo too.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My uncle just offered to try to buy libre sensors in France for me when he's on holiday next week! (37 euro's in France versus 60 in the Netherlands)
I think it's pretty heroic, as he's 78 I think and doesn't speak much French and he'll probably has to try multiple pharmacies to get them. So fingers crossed it will work out!

Reactions: porl69 and Jaylee

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could I ask in situations like mine, what if you cannot pay for your emergency medication? I read online that emergency prescriptions must be paid for and the out of hours gp said I need to pay for it. I’m okay with it because it’s an emergency, however are test strips different to insulin in this situation? I’ve been in situations for emergency insulin and they just ask for my exemption card. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not stingy, I’m just poor. I’ve been looking for work as well in the mean time.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel like I’m being punished, I’m quite sleepy at the moment and it is difficult that I cannot test to know if I’ve recovered from my hypo.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This mess has cost me 7hours and I’m not getting anywhere. Does anyone know if it is worth trying Facebook? I never really used facebook for anything diabetes related.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You know what, I’ve saved myself. I was rummaging through my old kit pouches that you store meter, finger pricker etc and I found a packet of 25 strips all in date. I even found some spare change for ice cream.

Reactions: Antje77

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I decided to test my ketones with another meter - GlucoRX HCT ketone meter and it said 23.6 mmol and 33% HCT. I’m not sure about the figure because I’m use to the single digits for my freestyle blood ketones.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Cricket. Dafne would say that 'the most extraordinary innings ever' would cause an adrenaline response, which in turn would raise your cortisol hormone and then your blood sugar levels.

Reactions: Knikki

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
@ert would be interesting to see the difference between an English supporter's bg and an Australian supporter's bg during that match.
The little I have seen of the results over the last few days suggests Australia snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
Lol. I'm just pleased that the series continues, without an obvious winner. A close match is a good match. Otherwise, it all gets very dull indeed.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh good grief...

I did say I had long walks sussed, didn't I? I did do 20+ miles in one walk, with only scheduled stops and no hypos only three days ago? Good job I'm well aware "sussed" only ever means for that day!

Today's shenanigans after 5 miles were made ever so slightly worse by me disbelieving the 4.7 and thinking I could get to the next bus stop, no bother. Which I would have done if the bus company hadn't decided to put that stop out of use. One on a critical interchange point in my part of the world. It's going to be dreadful when the schools go back as lots of pupils swap off the circular route on to my route there (and vice versa) as there are a lot of secondary schools along both routes. So, another 4 minutes walk and "Hello hypo". Three attempts over half an hour it took to get it above 5 again and the best part of a whole packet of Dextro!! Of course, by the time I did get on a bus and home, I was up on 10. But a brisk 45 minutes gardening sorted that one out.

Normally I run high on a Sunday, today's been a struggle to keep above 5.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And here I was thinking you had a diabetic steer or heifer.
It would be nice to inject a cow instead of yourself, but very unpractical too. Imagine having to take your cow with you everywhere you go in case you want to eat something or do a correction.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It would be nice to inject a cow instead of yourself, but very unpractical too. Imagine having to take your cow with you everywhere you go in case you want to eat something or do a correction.
Yeah, but it would be a small cow.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, but it would be a small cow.
It starts like this, which is doable, but already more of a hassle than simply sticking an insulin pen in your pocket:
upload_2019-8-25_21-0-19.jpeg

But they grow pretty fast and you'll end up like this:
images

Or this:
images

And then try to explain they're supposed to make reasonable adjustments at work for diabetes...