Eye Screening Letter

ChrissiStar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
*grumble first* Why do the results letters always appear on a Saturday when you can’t call anyone?

Anyway, bit of background: I’ve never been the greatest diabetic, I fully admit that (and now flipping regret it!), but I have NEVER skipped injections, just done a lot of guess work for many years and plodded along, my diet hasn’t been perfect either, but earlier this year I decided to tighten everything up and have basically turned myself into a human pin cushion (waiting for a libre and it cannot come quick enough!) and am trying my hardest to stay in good control.

So, I attended my eye screening on Monday and got the results letter today, no mention of anything other than ‘the results show that there have been diabetic changes to your eye(s). It is necessary to refer you to have a special scan called an OCT, which will be reviewed by an Opthamologist to help us assess whether you need to be seen in person.’

Anyone else had this? Should I be climbing the walls? I suffer from chronic anxiety and have been told to lower my stress levels so as you can imagine this is not helping me at all. The only plus point is I have already been referred to opthamology because thanks to stress I have fluid behind my right eye (hence being told to reduce stress!) that the optician is sure will reabsorb by itself, so have an appointment this Tuesday to get that looked at so should be able to pick their brains then.

SamD1994

Hi Chrissi

Sorry to hear your going through this. I'm in a similar situation, I too suffer huge health anxiety and its mainly associated with going blind due to my diabetes.

I been a type 1 since I was 8 and now 25 and throughout my teens and early 20s I didn't look after myself, i wasn't the worst diabetic but had issues taking as much insulin as I should at times. But this June I had a hemorrhage in right eye and currently going getting eye injections to treat it so anxiety is through the roof!!!

I know it sucks when people say "dont worry you make it worse " especially when you suffer anxiety. There is a truth to it though, my eye doctor says when you stress it releases a steroid that can raise blood sugars , they also said when you suddenly Improve blood sugars it can make things worse before it gets better .

Your letter I had a few and it likely due to you getting your act together , but if you tell them this they will take it onto account. Your doing the right thing getting you bg sorted and it's a scary thing but they to take it day by day, just think of the long term and I'm sure your optician will be able to reassure you on Tuesday which isn't that far at all :)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I;d agree with Sam D. We can't offer any reassurance here but the screening process is designed to pick up earlier stages of retinopathy. This can be easily treated with lasers and it usually works well.
Go to the next appointment
Don't panic and become a professional diabetic (= obsessing about blood tests/insulin doses). I am saying that because the body doesn't like it if you go down to drastically - prefers an even keel though clearly under 7 hba1c is linked to better outcomes.
e.g. when pregnant I was over anxious having been a 'relaxed' bumble along diabetic ;previously and then my retinopahty went nuclear afterwards resulting in 2 eye operations which saved most of my sight.
Hope you get the fsl soon - it has really helped me get under that magic 7 hba1c.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
*grumble first* Why do the results letters always appear on a Saturday when you can’t call anyone?

Anyway, bit of background: I’ve never been the greatest diabetic, I fully admit that (and now flipping regret it!), but I have NEVER skipped injections, just done a lot of guess work for many years and plodded along, my diet hasn’t been perfect either, but earlier this year I decided to tighten everything up and have basically turned myself into a human pin cushion (waiting for a libre and it cannot come quick enough!) and am trying my hardest to stay in good control.

So, I attended my eye screening on Monday and got the results letter today, no mention of anything other than ‘the results show that there have been diabetic changes to your eye(s). It is necessary to refer you to have a special scan called an OCT, which will be reviewed by an Opthamologist to help us assess whether you need to be seen in person.’

Anyone else had this? Should I be climbing the walls? I suffer from chronic anxiety and have been told to lower my stress levels so as you can imagine this is not helping me at all. The only plus point is I have already been referred to opthamology because thanks to stress I have fluid behind my right eye (hence being told to reduce stress!) that the optician is sure will reabsorb by itself, so have an appointment this Tuesday to get that looked at so should be able to pick their brains then.
wishing you a good outcome

Reactions: ChrissiStar
D

Deleted member 308541

Why do the results letters always appear on a Saturday when you can’t call anyone?
No Saturday mail service here in Australia.

Only priority mail delivered Monday to Friday once a day, non priority mail every couple of day if your lucky.

Most of my HCP send texts to notify if the matter is urgent / important.

ChrissiStar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No Saturday mail service here in Australia.

Only priority mail delivered Monday to Friday once a day, non priority mail every couple of day if your lucky.

Lucky! We always seem to get the brown envelope nasties on a Saturday! NHS and HMRC seem to time it to perfection.

Dark Horse

One of the things that the eye screening looks for is changes that commonly occur when there is fluid in the macula (the central part of the retina that is responsible for detailed vision). If these changes are seen, people are referred for an OCT scan to find out whether there is actually any fluid there - a condition called macular oedema. (Sometimes the changes can be seen when there is no oedema.) It sounds like your optician has already picked up these changes and referred you and that the screening service has picked upon the same thing.

Sometimes the OCT shows no fluid so you would be returned to the screening service for future monitoring, sometimes there is a small amount of fluid but not enough to treat so you would be monitored in the ophthalmology department, and sometimes there is enough fluid that you will be offered treatment.

When you go for your optician's referral appointment, make sure you tell them that you have also been referred by the eye screening service so you don't end up with 2 lots of appointments.

ChrissiStar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One of the things that the eye screening looks for is changes that commonly occur when there is fluid in the macula (the central part of the retina that is responsible for detailed vision). If these changes are seen, people are referred for an OCT scan to find out whether there is actually any fluid there - a condition called macular oedema. (Sometimes the changes can be seen when there is no oedema.) It sounds like your optician has already picked up these changes and referred you and that the screening service has picked upon the same thing.

Sometimes the OCT shows no fluid so you would be returned to the screening service for future monitoring, sometimes there is a small amount of fluid but not enough to treat so you would be monitored in the ophthalmology department, and sometimes there is enough fluid that you will be offered treatment.

When you go for your optician's referral appointment, make sure you tell them that you have also been referred by the eye screening service so you don't end up with 2 lots of appointments.

I’m taking the letter I received yesterday with me on Tuesday for exactly that reason.

Thank you so much for you explanation, you have put my mind at rest somewhat, just got to wait and see what Tuesday brings now.

Reactions: Dark Horse

ChrissiStar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Update: I am out of my appointment and can finally see enough to use my phone. Had the full eye MOT - No retinopathy found and no cause for concern, the screening had just picked up the same fluid the optician had, hence the referral, it is very minimal, most likely caused by stress and will likely clear up by itself but I am back in 6 months to check progress. *breathes huge sigh of relief*

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Update: I am out of my appointment and can finally see enough to use my phone. Had the full eye MOT - No retinopathy found and no cause for concern, the screening had just picked up the same fluid the optician had, hence the referral, it is very minimal, most likely caused by stress and will likely clear up by itself but I am back in 6 months to check progress. *breathes huge sigh of relief*
So pleased for you.