Problems after going out evening

LoubyLou 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I'm looking for some advice.

This is the 2nd time I've had a problem after an evening out.

I'm Type II, have been eating low carb over two years and don't take meds anymore as came out of diabetic readings (whatever it is called).

Last night I went to a party. I drank water all evening. Everyone else ate there but I ate before I went out (a bit earlier than usual). I felt really hungry late evening but ignored it. Became cold (as outside all evening) and shivvering with cold on way home. Had a cup of tea with milk when got home and ate some low ish sugar biscuits (about 6g of carbs if I remember correctly off top of head). Don't usually do that. Felt fine, warmed out and went to bed. Got up became increasingly nauseas as the morning has gone on. I don't usually eat until 11am as I usually intermittent fast after last meal and don't eat until 11am (or 12pm). Obviously last night I ate some biscuits.

I was thinking the nausea was related to the sore throat I've been getting on and off for a few days but then I got a headache so thought I'd better test my blood (which I hardly ever do). It was 8.9 about 10:45am. Hadn't had a drink so having a cup of tea and some salty peanuts as I've no idea if I should eat something sweet or just a bit carby and salty. Any thoughts?

Also I went clubbing about a month ago, danced my heart out the entire night and stopped about 2.30am as I felt so extremely dizzy I thought I would faint. As I've never had a diabetic low or danced all night since getting type II I didn't realise it was diabetes. I felt so ill I thought someone had spiked my water (doh!). Next morning I woke up with the headache from hell and finally twigged it was diabetes related.

Just telling you the dancing night one for info, but really I would like the answer to the this morning's problem. I'm starting to feel less nauseas (not completely) but headache still here. Do I eat a biscuit ? I've no idea what to do in this situation. I don't have bread in the house etc as I'm low carb and coeliac.

Thoughts please? I realise I've got some learning to do so I don't end up like this again. I'm due to go out to an all day and evening event this week, so advice please. (Taking my own food though).

Apologies for my ignorance but I'm willing to learn.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Well, high blood sugars can be caused by both stress and illness, so it is possible that your readings have nothing to do with the previous day's activities, other than the fact you had a stressful time and are now feeling ill.

Not sure about the likelihood of a diabetic low when you're not on any meds. Something akin to reactive hypoglycemia??? You'd really have to do a blood test to prove it, because it's not supposed to happen if you're not on insulin or certain types of T2 meds.
Dizziness can be caused by all sorts of things other than hypos....

Other thoughts - are you sure those "sugar biscuits" were only 6g of carb? Seems very low.

While 8.9 is outside normal not diabetic blood sugar range, it's not very high eg not high enough for sugar to pass to urine. I wouldn't expect it to make you feel ill, though I know that some people are very sensitive to even quite low high blood sugars.

If you're not medicating then the only way to deal with high blood sugars is too not eat carbs and/or exercise. So eating a biscuit is probably a bad idea....

Honestly, I know it's tempting to assume that all unwell feelings are caused by diabetes, but non-diabetics get sick too...

Having said all that, I'm T1, so not necessarily the best person to advise. Hopefully some T2s will make some suggestions too.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Instead of going long periods without any food especially if a lot of exercise is involved why not try having some snacks, Babybell cheese, some nuts etc. Maybe some sort of Dawn Phenomenon is responsible for your higher BG.

LoubyLou 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great replies thanks. The biscuits are gluten free wafter thin and the lowest I could find in sugars.

I didn't dance last night so no exercise.

I feel better after some salty nuts and a cup of tea with milk. My headache has almost gone now. I hardly have any nausea now.

I'm confused. I think I need to look after myself better.

Maybe its gone a bit haywire as I have a sore throat and am 'fighting something'?

No dancing last night but info noted for next time out late and dancing.

Does staying out until 3am even if not dancing play havoc with blood sugars?

One thing of note and sorry if this is TMI but I've had a very pale stool this morning. I get this every 3 months (approx) and the first time it happened it was pure white and freaked me out but never again has it been white (or i would have gone to the doctor). I've asked other half to check and see if my skin or eye white is yellow (jaundice) but he says its all normal. I'm not sure what is going on. Still got sore throat.

EDIT: Just realised I made a new low carb pizza base yesterday that was mostly mozzerlla and cheddar and probably overdid it on the cheese (for me). That would cause a pale stool, I think?

Last edited:

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @LoubyLou 2

I'm not a medical professional so can't help with anything serious (that would be for your doctor), but just a random thought, could it be mild sodium depletion? if you drank a lot of water the first time you may have excreted more sodium than usual and eating the salty peanuts did help you feel better the second time, (like 'carb flu' when you start LC eating which is helped by extra salt/electrolytes).
Perhaps carrying a small pack of salted peanuts (or a babybel or two as Mr_Pot suggested) might help.

Anything that puts your body under stress is likely to raise your bg.

dipsydo

If you were just drinking water as others have said you could have overdone the water and upset your electrolytes. Although does have sugar in it it a glass of diorolyte or similar may help . You said you do not check bloods often so are your strips out of date or from a tub which has been opened a long time ... I have found this can give incorrect readings. Might be worth doing a bit more testing to see if you had a rogue result .. the other day I had an unexpected 9 on an strip that had been in a tub for a while and with a new tub was 5.3 did best of three and next one was 5.4 so concluded the old strip was rogue.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
@LoubyLou 2 I am a little confused about your symptoms and your proposed cure.

You say that your BG was 8.9 which is higher than it should be.

Then you ask if you should eat a carby snack.
This is what you would expect to do if your BG was low; 4.5 or lower (although many people can go down to 3.5 without any issues).

Carby snacks are for low BG.

If your BG is high and you haven't been eating then you should be having protein and fats.
Cheese is a good option, as is a drink with cream.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aside from your recent symptoms which people have covered. The over riding message being that you need to test more regularly so you know what is your normal to compare to readings when you feel unwell.
However pale stools can be a sign of liver problems and although it’s not a constant thing I would in your position see my Dr. about it.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed