Freestyle Libre

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There was a criteria list. I cant remember all of them but HbA1c had to be above something like 58, no hypo awareness and hospitalisation for hypos. none of which i met. there were a few others such as repeated hypos requiring a pump which i did meet. spending every waking moment managing wild swings for hormones isn't a tick box for the NHS apparently.

Sending you hugs. I have read majority of CCGs have the criteria of high hba1c or finger pricking more than 8 times a day or on a pump or hospitalisation.

maryrachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Beetroot
i think i will be smarter when i go back. there is a criteria that states "Previous self-funders of flash glucose monitors with type 1 diabetes where those with responsibility for their diabetes care are satisfied that their clinical history suggests that they would have satisfied one or more of these criteria prior to them commencing use of flash glucose monitoring had these criteria been in place prior to April 2019 AND shown improvement in HbA1c since self-funding." My HbA1c has reduced from 57 to 49 since using the sensor. they should see that from my records but he didn't mention that one. Thanks MeiChanski for the link.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get mine on the NHS now, im in Leeds and I met the criteria and was pretty pain free to get them.

Ooh I’m in Leeds and go on the 12th. Which bit of the criteria did you succeed on?

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooh I’m in Leeds and go on the 12th. Which bit of the criteria did you succeed on?

I actually had an appointment with the DSN to switch from novorapid to FIASP. He wanted to see what my glucose levels were like, because I was testing a lot, like 20x a day to try and capture what was happening post meals with novo. When he saw the meter he said you seem to be testing a lot, have you looked at the libre, I wasn't sure if it was widely available at the time, but he said it was. He then checked guidelines and said I met at least one condition with the other being frequent hypos. At the time I was getting frequent hypo's as I had got into fitness and levels tended to drop low after workouts, so he asked me to attend clinic for a libre the following month.

I must add that my blood sugar levels are generally well controlled with my hba1c at 50 at the time. That didn't seem to bother them in issuing the libre. To be honest it couldn't have been much easier, also following the 6 months, they just issued another 6 month prescription which I collected, hassle free!

Reactions: ChrissiStar

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I must be one of the lucky people, I have never had a problem with Libre accuracy. I saw my G.P. two weeks ago who agreed that in her opinion, since the April 1st guidelines, I now meet the criteria for supply on the NHS but she also said that my consultant would have to approve it before she could prescribe it for me, so I am seeing him on 5th September but in the past he has always refused to prescribe it for me.

Reactions: porl69

Dustydog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have also encountered inaccuracy problems and Abbots have given me a replacement each time. However now that I have been lucky enough to be eligible for Libre on prescription I will be doing my utmost to make it work. Previously I was scanning using my IPhone but as my nurse requires access to my data I will be using the reader as I understand that I have to use this at least 9 times per day. Fingers crossed the accuracy improves