Not doing very well.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Very stressed at the moment. No interest in work, anything.

Not eating well at all. I have to kids, 11 and 8 and husband who keeps buying sweet things.

I can’t be bothered to exercise and before anyone asks, no I won’t see the doctor as I already am on meds for anxiety and have had to private rounds of CBT.

I just can’t stand being diabetic or worrying about my eyes, my heart.

I hate it and I have also completely stopped metformin as I just couldn’t stand it anymore. In that regard I feel a million times better, but find I want to eat, but not the right food because I hate cooking and can’t find anything interesting to cook.

Sorry for ranting but in a bad place.:(

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You are in a bad place. Sounds a bit miserable for a sunny BH. Sadly the sweet things/wrong things won't help other than for about 30 seconds.
I am sure you are functioning as a mum/wife/worker etc. but I think you need your husband's support or someone on your side in any case. Can you talk to him about what you need without getting angry or aggressive etc.
You don't have to find anything interesting to cook, you just need to cook fresh and eat more of that stuff and less of the stuff that makes you feel worse.
You know all of that though so pardon me for interrupting the rant as I am guessing you didn't want the advice but just in case...

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
You are in a bad place. Sounds a bit miserable for a sunny BH. Sadly the sweet things/wrong things won't help other than for about 30 seconds.
I am sure you are functioning as a mum/wife/worker etc. but I think you need your husband's support or someone on your side in any case. Can you talk to him about what you need without getting angry or aggressive etc.
You don't have to find anything interesting to cook, you just need to cook fresh and eat more of that stuff and less of the stuff that makes you feel worse.
You know all of that though so pardon me for interrupting the rant as I am guessing you didn't want the advice but just in case...

No thank you. I’m glad you replied. I have tried and I did get very upset about it today and I think we might be getting somewhere.

I picked myself up and went for a walk. Only a couple of miles but it’s hot so I have an excuse lol.

Thanks for the advice.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very stressed at the moment. No interest in work, anything.

Not eating well at all. I have to kids, 11 and 8 and husband who keeps buying sweet things.

I can’t be bothered to exercise and before anyone asks, no I won’t see the doctor as I already am on meds for anxiety and have had to private rounds of CBT.

I just can’t stand being diabetic or worrying about my eyes, my heart.

I hate it and I have also completely stopped metformin as I just couldn’t stand it anymore. In that regard I feel a million times better, but find I want to eat, but not the right food because I hate cooking and can’t find anything interesting to cook.

Sorry for ranting but in a bad place.:(

Hi @Major Buckmaster,

So sorry to read about your having a bad time right now. Please have a big hug from me.

Can definitely empathize with not always being up to preparing a meal. Have you considered maybe having some easy go-to foods around? Personally, I often buy foods like babybel cheeses, a small tub of liver pate, nuts, wiener sausages, Greek yoghurt, berries, etc around -- just in case I feel hungry, but not up to cooking.

Reactions: jjraak

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It’s hard with kids too, no time for yourself and them asking for treats. @Major Buckmaster what foods do you like or do you think could appeal and we can see if we can assist on ideas? The children should be back at school soon and perhaps then you’ll get some time to yourself.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
It’s hard with kids too, no time for yourself and them asking for treats. @Major Buckmaster what foods do you like or do you think could appeal and we can see if we can assist on ideas? The children should be back at school soon and perhaps then you’ll get some time to yourself.

Thank but no time to myself. My kids have been home schooled, but we have chosen a school for my son which we are happy with so he's starting school next week, but it is in another city so I will have to travel to get him everyday which adds to the stress! So one down and one at home still for now! She is good though. She is very understanding for an 8 yr old!

I need sweet things. But I can't seem to get it right. Like a crumble, does anyone have a good recipe? I tried one the other day but it was rubbish!

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Hi @Major Buckmaster,

So sorry to read about your having a bad time right now. Please have a big hug from me.

Can definitely empathize with not always being up to preparing a meal. Have you considered maybe having some easy go-to foods around? Personally, I often buy foods like babybel cheeses, a small tub of liver pate, nuts, wiener sausages, Greek yoghurt, berries, etc around -- just in case I feel hungry, but not up to cooking.

Thanks. I just get so stressed and then want the wrong foods! I know I'm not alone in that.

Its simple, easy and quick main meal ideas I need.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Definitely not alone, am struggling with wanting sweet things and carbs myself.
for a simple main meal how about chicken thighs? you can cook them on top of all sorts of vegetables with just a drizzle of oil and some herbs. One pot meal, less washing up. Takes about 45 mins if you dont fry them first. There are recipes on this site. check out a few.
Meanwhile try not to be too hard on yourself, we all slip up from time to time.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. I just get so stressed and then want the wrong foods! I know I'm not alone in that.

Its simple, easy and quick main meal ideas I need.

Hi Major, maybe invest in a one pot cooker? Honestly, you can chuck all the ingredients of a casserole in there, turn it on, leave it alone for however many hours you want and it is a real time saver. Also, I throw a mix of fresh vegetables (I use root veg mainly which does have more carbs than some people like to have) but you can (again) throw it in an oven dish, salt, pepper and a dollop of olive oil, 40 mins in the oven. It tastes delicious. Maybe place some chicken pieces in with it or a joint of meat that you can just leave to cook. Also (with the one pot) you can make chilli, Bolognese and all sorts. It is hard when you are a busy Mum with a husband who is tempting you with sweet things but in the end only YOU can choose what you eat. If you want something sweet there are plenty of crumble recipes that use butter & almond flour (fairly low carb), there are cakes and biscuits and muffins also made with almond or coconut flour. As for those typical carby things that go with all of this (potatoes/pasta/rice), well there are alternatives to these or you can make that for the family easily enough and YOU can just have more sauce or mashed cauliflower or something. Once you get a few go to recipes you will find it much easier. Also if you cook extra you can freeze it and warm it up on the days you can't be doing with it all. I like soup too, easy to do in a soup maker and even easier to pop in the microwave when you want a bowl. Also buy some dark chocolate (you will get used to the taste, far better than milk chocolate) and a square or two with a cuppa is delicious. Makes you less likely to feel deprived as well. x

**Edited to add slim lizzy got there before me!**

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Hi Major, maybe invest in a one pot cooker? Honestly, you can chuck all the ingredients of a casserole in there, turn it on, leave it alone for however many hours you want and it is a real time saver. Also, I throw a mix of fresh vegetables (I use root veg mainly which does have more carbs than some people like to have) but you can (again) throw it in an oven dish, salt, pepper and a dollop of olive oil, 40 mins in the oven. It tastes delicious. Maybe place some chicken pieces in with it or a joint of meat that you can just leave to cook. Also (with the one pot) you can make chilli, Bolognese and all sorts. It is hard when you are a busy Mum with a husband who is tempting you with sweet things but in the end only YOU can choose what you eat. If you want something sweet there are plenty of crumble recipes that use butter & almond flour (fairly low carb), there are cakes and biscuits and muffins also made with almond or coconut flour. As for those typical carby things that go with all of this (potatoes/pasta/rice), well there are alternatives to these or you can make that for the family easily enough and YOU can just have more sauce or mashed cauliflower or something. Once you get a few go to recipes you will find it much easier. Also if you cook extra you can freeze it and warm it up on the days you can't be doing with it all. I like soup too, easy to do in a soup maker and even easier to pop in the microwave when you want a bowl. Also buy some dark chocolate (you will get used to the taste, far better than milk chocolate) and a square or two with a cuppa is delicious. Makes you less likely to feel deprived as well. x

**Edited to add slim lizzy got there before me!**

Thanks. I wish it were true but for me it’s not getting any easier even after a year. I still hate cooking and find low carbing very hard.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I wish it were true but for me it’s not getting any easier even after a year. I still hate cooking and find low carbing very hard.
In my case, it’s not that I hate cooking, it’s more struggling to find the time, combined with a serious lack of cooking skills. I have found low carbing hard too. So we have commonality there. So that makes two of us as some folk make it seem so simple.

It has got easier for me though, over the course of time. And I find it helps me if I avoid being too tight on the carb levels day by day.

We ate out last night. We are on holiday and ended up at a Brewers Fayre outlet out of sheer convenience. I looked down the menu and there was so little on it if anything, for me. Fortunately there was a mixed grill platter which comprised steak, gammon, sausages, fried egg and..... chips. So my wife ate the chips, bar a half dozen that I ate. :D

Then our thoughts turned to pudding. I of course declined. To my surprise my 7 year old turned round and said she didn’t want pudding as it wasn’t healthy. Bless her. But she did qualify that by stating that it was for one night only.

Last edited:
Reactions: ickihun and ziggy_w

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I think it's probably hard for everyone so I do sympathise. What's the alternative though? x

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Sorry to hear you are feeling down. I think we all feel a bit like that from time to time, but try and be positive and it will pass.

I think you need to get your husband and kids on board. Ask him not to bring sweet things home if it’s tempting you. Or ask him to put them away where only he Can see them.

Did you not cook before? I find what I’m making now is actually much easier now I’m back eating meat. Keep it simple. Roast chicken or thighs etc. With salad and mashed cauliflower and add potato or whatever for the family if they must. Get the family cooking too, particularly if they want something different! Perfect bbq weather too!

It is hard but you can do this. It’s normal to feel down but think positive thoughts and you can do it x

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Also if you need to resort to takeaway then do it! Bunless burgers, salads, KFC with out the coating.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Sorry to hear you are feeling down. I think we all feel a bit like that from time to time, but try and be positive and it will pass.

I think you need to get your husband and kids on board. Ask him not to bring sweet things home if it’s tempting you. Or ask him to put them away where only he Can see them.

Did you not cook before? I find what I’m making now is actually much easier now I’m back eating meat. Keep it simple. Roast chicken or thighs etc. With salad and mashed cauliflower and add potato or whatever for the family if they must. Get the family cooking too, particularly if they want something different! Perfect bbq weather too!

It is hard but you can do this. It’s normal to feel down but think positive thoughts and you can do it x

I’ve never been interested in cooking. Hate it and have avoided it.
I’ve made this one but I used strawberries in place of rhubarb. No need for pre cooking strawberries and no sweetener required either, just chop the strawberries place in your dish, then add the topping and cook. Delicious with some extra thick double cream :hungry:

Ace let me try that! Thank you!

I have never cooked much. I’ve always thought Someone else should do it really.

I ideally want a cook so I can tell cook to bake me something.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
In my case, it’s not that I hate cooking, it’s more struggling to find the time, combined with a serious lack of cooking skills. I have found low carbing hard too. So we have commonality there. So that makes two of us as some folk make it seem so simple.

It has got easier for me though, over the course of time. And I find it helps me if I avoid being too tight on the carb levels day by day.

We ate out last night. We are on holiday and ended up at a Brewers Fayre outlet out of sheer convenience. I looked down the menu and there was so little on it if anything, for me. Fortunately there was a mixed grill platter which comprised steak, gammon, sausages, fried egg and..... chips. So my wife ate the chips, bar a half dozen that I ate. :D

Then our thoughts turned to pudding. I of course declined. To my surprise my 7 year old turned round and said she didn’t want pudding as it wasn’t healthy. Bless her. But she did qualify that by stating that it was for one night only.

I think those without kids, young families etc find it slightly easier as there is less to think of. I might be wrong.

But adding kids, etc to the mix does make it a lot harder to cope I think.