What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: chicken curry and broccoli followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake :hungry:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Feeling very happy today as I discovered a really quick and simple way to make mayonnaise. I’ve always found it a chore to make and half the time it splits before I finish and I end up chucking it out. But, I found a video on Ditch the Carbs website which looked v simple so decided to try it and it worked!
Put 1 whole egg in a stick blender jar, pour on 1/2 cup olive oil. S&P to taste. Put the stick blender in to the very bottom and switch on. That’s it! It went thick and creamy and didn’t split; all those hours spent adding oil drop by drop and whisking in between are a thing of the past. Yahoo!
So today for breakfast I had 1/2 a 90 second bread slice, 2 rashers and a fried egg. CWC
Lunch was Romaine lettuce leaves as open sandwiches with the h/m Mayo, salami, avocado and red pepper.
Dinner bbq a steak, chipolata and salad with more h/m Mayo 1glass red.
Just got home and had some HC 90% chocolate.

Great crop of cherry toms there @Tipetoo

D

Deleted member 308541

Great crop of cherry toms there @Tipetoo
They are never ending that's for sure, plenty for us and the possums, they are not hard to grow and do not take a lot of looking after. We cut the vine back every now and then as it can be a fire hazard.

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
@Goonergal that hot chocolate! Looks like you are having a wonderful few days away hope last few days go as well - unbelievable weather.
Brunch frittata with bacon and mushroom
Dinner chicken curry, cauliflower rice and gin and soda water with lime followed by lemon and lime mousse with a few home grown berries and yoghurt. Later had decaf coffee and a bit of 100% choc.
Ohs birthday tomorrow - planning a bank holiday outing and picnic to a nearby vintage car rally - OH very fond of old cars so perfect birthday treat. There’s also a car boot there so some rummaging may go on too!
@DJC3 thanks for mayo tip

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are never ending that's for sure, plenty for us and the possums, they are not hard to grow and do not take a lot of looking after. We cut the vine back every now and then as it can be a fire hazard.

I loved growing cherry toms. They were perfect - like the ones in your photo.
But I kept eating them. Like sweets.
No portion control!
So I switched to dahlias.
Have managed to resist eating them. So far. :hilarious:

wheelman99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Share what you've eaten today with the rest of the DCUK community and maybe steal a few ideas for yourself!

Please remember that this is the 'Low Carb Diet Forum' and that this thread isn't for low carb debates :)

Breakfast Bowl of fruit(strawberries,blueberries,nectarine,) lunch salad with cocked sliced meats, beetroot. Dinner home made seeded crackers with homemade mackerel pate topped with tomato bit of beetroot, a bowl of water melon plus a magnum ice cream, and 3hrs later after dinner my sugar level is 6.1! I love this low carb diet I’m on, thanks to Dr Unwins and the low carb diet recipe book !
And the benefits are in my weight loss also, 10kg+ now and still a bit to go. As a wheelchair user it’s very difficult to exercise how one should!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Robbed the possum patch out at the block of most of the cherry tomatoes yesterday arvo, these will keep us going for a few days.

They just keep on keeping on...

N01rfaJ.jpg
Your tomatoes look wonderful, am so jealous because mine got blight and had to be ripped out and burnt... Until then they had been very productive. Next day the beef tomatoes also affected. so same fate for that plant also. The courgette growing next to the cherry toms does not look too good this evening :yuck:

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Have not posted for a couple of days, so had some catching up to do.

@shelley262 -- These brownies look delicious, too bad I probably can't get them over here.
@ianpspurs -- Good to read you're back from the hospital. Given that hospital menus are notoriously difficult for T2s, you have my admiration for the choices you made.
@DJC3 -- The last batch of bounty bars was a bit of a catastrophe too. Mixed shredded coconut, coconut milk, coconut oil, erythritol and egg white. Rolled it out on some kitchen paper, cut them in squares and covered with melted 95% chocolate (400g). Not surprisingly, it turned out to be too much chocolate and not enough coconut, plus it looked really messy, but tasted very good anyway. Next time, I try this without cutting them into squares first. If this doesn't work any better, I will give up. Never thought it would be this difficult.

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's what I ate during the last three days.

Friday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Two half DD keto rolls with butter and smoked salmon.

Dinner: Sitting outside in a sidewalk cafe with one and half glasses of red wine. Later at home, a tub (125g) of chicken liver pate.

Saturday (ravenous and pigging out all day) ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Half a DD keto roll with butter and smoked salmon, another half just with butter. Homemade soup with oxtail and vegetables.

Lunch: One chicken wiener, a low-carb bounty bar, 5 raspberries.

Dinner: A small ribeye steak, about 70g of lupin hummus. Two glasses of dry red wine (1g of sugar per liter). Later about 20g of chicken liver pate.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos. Half a DD keto roll with butter and salmon.

Lunch: Homemade soup, about 50g of shrimp.

Dinner: The remainder of the tub of chicken liver pate (100g), a huge serving of low-carb chocolate pudding with whipped cream. One glass of dry red wine.

D

Deleted member 308541

I loved growing cherry toms. They were perfect - like the ones in your photo.
But I kept eating them. Like sweets.
No portion control!
So I switched to dahlias.
Have managed to resist eating them. So far. :hilarious:
Your tomatoes look wonderful, am so jealous because mine got blight and had to be ripped out and burnt... Until then they had been very productive. Next day the beef tomatoes also affected. so same fate for that plant also. The courgette growing next to the cherry toms does not look too good this evening :yuck:

We do not grow anything on purpose, the tomatoes and passion fruit seeds came onto the block via bird droppings.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
today has been a mess,
breakfast slice of toasted Gache, no idea on carbs but from the sweetness of it guessing high, followed by second breakfast of sensible beau et bon toast and avocado.
Lunch: tuna, ate the whole can with mayonnaise and salad, slice of melon, bought for the children but one wont eat it.
several glasses of .....
slimline tonic. Were you expecting wine ?
dinner meatballs, but not all meat so some carbs in them, green beans from the garden, sweet pepper and chilli sauce , home made with the meatballs. MrSlim had rice, i had salad, but then two helpings of pudding ( BAD girl) with cream ofc.
We have agreed to go for a village meal and are to provide the desserts. MrSlim is going to make a rice puddingy type of thing and I will probably make a Lemon Cream Pie. Possibly the easiest pudding I know. Ofc not at all LC.
we have had family staying for three weeks, nearly finished clearing up and ... the next set of guests will be arriving two days early! EEK!! So everything needs to be done tomorrow. Do they sell condensed milk in France?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
@Goonergal that hot chocolate! Looks like you are having a wonderful few days away hope last few days go as well - unbelievable weather.
Brunch frittata with bacon and mushroom
Dinner chicken curry, cauliflower rice and gin and soda water with lime followed by lemon and lime mousse with a few home grown berries and yoghurt. Later had decaf coffee and a bit of 100% choc.
Ohs birthday tomorrow - planning a bank holiday outing and picnic to a nearby vintage car rally - OH very fond of old cars so perfect birthday treat. There’s also a car boot there so some rummaging may go on too!
@DJC3 thanks for mayo tip

I feel faintly ridiculous that such an unexciting thing as mayonnaise would make me so happy!

It doesn’t seem a minute ago you were doing a lot of cooking and planning for your OH birthday last year, or am I thinking of a wedding anniversary? Certainly doesn’t seem like a year ago.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Have not posted for a couple of days, so had some catching up to do.

@shelley262 -- These brownies look delicious, too bad I probably can't get them over here.
@ianpspurs -- Good to here you're back from the hospital. Given that hospital menus are notoriously difficult for T2s, you have my admiration for the choices you made.
@DJC3 -- The last batch of bounty bars was a bit of a catastrophe too. Mixed shredded coconut, coconut milk, coconut oil, erythritol and egg white. Rolled it out on some kitchen paper, cut them in squares and covered with melted 95% chocolate (400g). Not surprisingly, it turned out to be too much chocolate and not enough coconut, plus it looked really messy, but tasted very good anyway. Next time, I try this without cutting them into squares first. If this doesn't work any better, I will give up. Never thought it would be this difficult.

I think their fiddlyness makes me appreciate them and enjoy them all the more - mine look pretty messy too!

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sunday dawned bright, warm and redolent of possibilities. Stokes made the barely believable transpire and Spurs were just Spursy. So how does that relate to food, LC eating and my menu? B= decaf tea, 1 pint, minus sweeteners then a normal sized cup of ordinary tea when Julie arose. Hungry by 12.30 so had flaxseed crackers, buttered, with a mixture of tinned mackerel in EVO, cucumber and coleslaw. Evening meal was 200 gms ribeye steak, mushrooms , tomatoes and salad with mayonnaise. The link with the sport? Fbg was 5.6 so the Spursy let down but I get a good boy badge for trying. @ziggy_w, I get another go at bemusing the hospital staff this weekend by refusing cereal, toast, chips, beans and rice pudding which as we all know is what diabetics eat. They do have sugar free jelly:arghh: @SlimLizzy shame about the tomatoes and what a hectic schedule of late.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I should have eaten a meal yesterday evening because at 10 pm I was, suddenly, hungry and didn't feel like reheating the chicken and veg so I had 2 biscuits and then, later, 2 more. Bad idea! BG shot up to 15 from 5! And that after zero carbs and less than 900 calories.

Still hungry this morning but it is a 500 calorie day, so I resisted the urge to eat until 1.30 pm - reheated a chicken thigh and the veg from yesterday. That was about 345 calories so I have only 155 left for later in the day - just veggies, I guess - some Brussels sprouts and some cauliflower.

That and some tea will have to do.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast Bowl of fruit(strawberries,blueberries,nectarine,) lunch salad with cocked sliced meats, beetroot. Dinner home made seeded crackers with homemade mackerel pate topped with tomato bit of beetroot, a bowl of water melon plus a magnum ice cream, and 3hrs later after dinner my sugar level is 6.1! I love this low carb diet I’m on, thanks to Dr Unwins and the low carb diet recipe book !
And the benefits are in my weight loss also, 10kg+ now and still a bit to go. As a wheelchair user it’s very difficult to exercise how one should!

I agree @wheelman I'm not in a wheelchair all of the time as I can manage to get around the house with a stick or, on less good days, a rollator but if I go out I have to be taken in a wheelchair. I'm lucky that I have my son living with me and he is a very willing wheelchair pusher and general helper. But it does make any kind of exercise very difficult, which means that even a small amount of calories goes a long way.

Reactions: DJC3

Viv19

I’ve just read through the posts to catch up. We drove to Bonn to No 1 daughter to meet her sister (No 2 from Australia) who flew in for a couple of days to see us. She’s visiting youngest daughter for just 2 weeks as she has a new job and not much holiday. So lovely to see her even if it was for a short time.
We’ll go out next year I think.
Anyway, lots of delicious food and surprisingly low bg. I really need a professional chef working for me.
Today
Tea
Thyroid check up - seems to be ok, no bad news anyway, just ‘keep taking the pills.’
Lunch 2 slices LC bread with cheese and 4 cherry toms. Nuts. Tea
Afternoon. 2 baby bel plus lots of water. Hot here.
Dinner. Mixed salad (lettuce, lambs lettuce, cucumber, spring onions, 1 tom, toasted sunflower seeds, parsley, sliced strawberries and dressing).
Yoghurt and berries.
I’ve experimented with different long life (UHT) milk because my usual milk wasn’t setting. I finally used the same pot of starter, same yoghurt maker, and organic milk. It wasn’t even much more expensive. And it produced fabulous thick yoghurt. So I think I can reckon that the Aldi milk might have had antibiotics in it which killed off the good yoghurt bacteria. It’s probably an occasional thing but I might stay with the bio milk now since it works so well.
@ ianpspurs glad to see you are in good spirits and fighting to be fit. Even if you were offered full on carby food!
Maglil55 good luck with the clear out. Fingers crossed that you’ll have your own bed soon.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all. Today’s food as follows
CWC this morning.
Brunch: ham and egg in a lo dough wrap ( just ate filling towards the end, Lo dough is a very boring foodstuff)
Mid aft: few slices chorizo and 5 HC buttons
Dinner: American stylee chicken salad - shredded a chicken breast, mixed with h/m Mayo, chopped salad veg ( celery, radishes, red pepper) and a pinch of cayenne. Piled it into Romaine lettuce leaves. 1 glass red.
@Viv19 glad you’ve got the yoghurt to work. Was this in your IP? Glad the thyroid check was ok and that you had a good time with your daughters.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had to share this with y’all. We went for a walk this afternoon and Dennis jumped into a shallow ornamental pond, it was covered in duckweed so he didn’t realise it was water until he plunged through it. Just look at those skinny little green slimy legs ( and rather embarrassed face)
IMG_0849.jpg

Reactions: Viv19 and maglil55