Struggling with Type 1

Lazymike

Hi Guy’s

I have been on here for a while but haven’t really used it as much as I should have been.
I have had diabetes longer than I have lived without it now but I want to get my act together and try and get my blood under control so I want to ask what apps systems that people use to get theirs under control?
I have just started the trial of the libre blood monitoring system and being able to see my constant blood is an eye opener and is pushing to get it a lot better controlled as I also have booked in to do the marathon next year.
I look forward to hearing the advice all you guys have got to give and many thanks for reading my post.

Reactions: porl69

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Guy’s

I have been on here for a while but haven’t really used it as much as I should have been.
I have had diabetes longer than I have lived without it now but I want to get my act together and try and get my blood under control so I want to ask what apps systems that people use to get theirs under control?
I have just started the trial of the libre blood monitoring system and being able to see my constant blood is an eye opener and is pushing to get it a lot better controlled as I also have booked in to do the marathon next year.
I look forward to hearing the advice all you guys have got to give and many thanks for reading my post.
Hello LazyMike and good luck with your type 1 upgrade!
Have run 2 marathons (one with a pump and one without). Your fsl will be really useful here so I hope you get to keep the prescription. I think your first priority should be establishing a great basal rate.
There are some good type 1s doing their thing on You Tube and the internet e.g. Adam Brown (e book Bright Spots and Landmines)https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bright-Spots-Landmines-Diabetes-Someone/dp/069286153X, Dr Ian Lake (UK Gp with type 1 who runs marathons) https://www.diabetes.co.uk/in-depth/ian-lake-normal-glucose-type-1/ and Jody Stanislaw , a type 1 and naturopath who has info on exercise https://www.drjodynd.com/

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I agree with Knikki = learn about your diabetes and how it reacts to different foods, different intensities/durations of exercise and you'll be fine.

In my 50's I did long distance rowing and did frequently did full distance marathons. I was never a sprint rower - always a stamina/endurance woman. Point is - if I could do that, and came to no harm - you can do marathons. What I did do was (a) learn about my diabetes by reading Using Insulin and also The Diabetic Athletes Handbook and (b) get my consultant on board - she told me that there was a sports diabetic nurse on her team and I could have access to her for advice at any time. She also told me about how to deal with my basal and bolus before/after an event, and what to do. She was more than helpful!

Many distance eventers are diabetic, but the successful ones learn what their diabetic body needs from them. Luckily you'll be increasing distance gradually and your understanding of your diabetes can grow with the distance, so to speak.

I use Diabetes:M which will calculate insulin required provided I input my ratios (which it stores) and then input carbs eaten. I find it very useful and use it in conjunction with Nutracheck which gives carb values of amounts of UK foods. Others use other apps. Also handy is the Carbs and Cals app although naturally we all vary in which we find most useful.

Reactions: porl69
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Guy’s

Good morning and well done on getting your act together,
I had a two week trial of the Libre and I finally got my own one 3 days ago and I love it. Good luck and all the best for the marathon, but make sure you are well prepared both physically and mentally too, Just take little steps and you will get there and remember to give yourself a pat on the back when you reach even the smallest of achievements.
You can do it, good luck :)

Last edited:

Nia772

Hi Guy’s

I’ve been

Nia772

I think you should look at the foods such as oats that sustain your blood sugars levels over a longer period of time

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi Lazymike,
I've been on insulin for a week and just finding my feet with exercise. I have a Libre CGM. I'd love to hear how you're getting on with training.
In terms of short-acting insulin, I've tried running after eating and using Fiasp and didn't get on at all. Yet (of course). I need to read up on how to proceed.
I've managed twenty minutes of interval runs and weights on Levemir and only coffee and cream for breakfast with amazing results. Am I burning fat? I hope so, but I need to read up on this too.
Sigh. It ain't easy. Nothing truly worthwhile ever was.

Lazymike

Thanks for all the replies I have appreciated all your comments I think I need to crack down on what I eat and try cutting down my carbs to a minimum and see how I go with that I have asked about carb counting course but need to take a week off work with it anyone have any good books they recommend to get how to work out what food you have eaten and what insulin to try and counter act what you have eaten and when to inject

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Lazymike

This is a free online course to get you going: https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/

I know it’s a week but it’s the most important week you can invest in your health, doing it will empower you and set you up to be an expert in your own health and diabetes management, so please do consider doing the DAFNE course, I felt the same but afterwards knew it was the best decision i’d ever made and it also set me on course to get my pump approval as this was a pre requisite for getting pump access.