How old were you at diagnosis?

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
I'm 57 and as I remember, I was approaching 50 when diagnosed. Had a bit of nightmare tolerating various drugs. Don't do Satins or Actos any more. Use Metfartin x2 SR horse tablets per day and x2 Glicacides per day. My T2 is under some sort of control if not any thing to write home about.

jimastra

hiya
i am a new member(type 2)
i was diagnosed in1991 after going to docs feeling tired and listless.
am on metformin+sitagliptin.
my latest abhc1 test was 8!!!
have lost 10kgs in the last 3 months by eating healthy and cutting carbs.
hope this helps my next abhc1 at my next test.
:)

Jenfy

I was 59, diagnosed T2 on 1/7/2011 but was told I'd had the condition for several years. I'm on Metformin x2 per day and just started Simvastatin. Never really been over weight but have lost 1st 9 lbs in about 8 months prior to diagnosis. So glad the exhaustion is subsiding since treatment started and I can get on with my life again!

sailorj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
48 but looking back had symptoms for at least a year but mostly dizzy spells that went with chocoloate!

penfold254

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I was 53 when diagnosed in 2008. Only found out when I went for a routine medical at work, the litmus strip turned bright green. On 2 x 500mg Metformin per day.

Had a T.I.A. last year which may have been attributed to the diabetes so now on aspirin and dypiridamol as well plus the simvastatin.

Last Hba1c was 6.2

WhitbyJet

I was 20 when I was officially diagnosed as type 2 diabetic, however by that time I already had some complications.
On hindsight it truly seems that I was diabetic/pre-diabetic/carb sensitive or something like this, since I was 10 years old.
I have 2 brothers and 1 sister, we all at the same home cooked family meals, our mother would bake every Friday ahead for the weekend. I was the only chubby but not fat one in the family, all the others were and are slim. It was noted that I would become very drowsy after meal times, whereas the others wanted to go out and play, all I wanted to do was go to sleep.
Parents took me to Drs, tests were carried out but nothing conclusive came up, although my Dad remembers the old family doctor, who had retired way before, said to watch me as I am going to be diabetic. Sure enough then it happened, at the time of diagnosis nobody could believe I am type 2 on account of my age, even less so when it was discovered that going by the complications that had already set it this type 2 diabetes must have been brewing along there in the background for some time.
Now of course its not quite so rare to hear of children being diagnosed type 2.

paula1974

Diagnosed T2 age 34 2 1/2 yrs ago. On insulin staight away. Was diagnosed when in hosp for Chest infection. No symptoms whatsoever. Apparently one of the drugs I was on can cause diabetes!!! They never told me that!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, This is an interesting thread .
Was diagnosed at age of 47yrs 30th dec 2009, it totally ruined my new year !
Had - had fasting blood tests 2 of these were done, originally for my thyroid levels which had bombed again! As have an underactive thyroid.
Was called into see my GP and he just came out with it. " you're diabetic " :shock: :shock:
Took me till early march for it all to sink in and adjust gradually to this new life style and journey.
However in terms of valueing life and all I do , it was and is probably the best thing to happen to me.
The worst of it for me is the repetetive bugs,viruses,illness to keep fighting off. As I seem to pick these up so easily.
Anna.x :D

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
i was 73 when diagnosed all my family have been in there 60-70 .

I was 44, tablets for 2 years then on to insulin, rubbish at controlling myself but I am in a goog frame of mind at the moment and am determined to ake it more serious. :)