Not doing very well.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Google "fat bombs" also "keto snacks". Something that perhaps your daughter could help with. I made some "bounty bars" a while back. They kept well in the freezer.

Reactions: Listlad

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Google "fat bombs" also "keto snacks". Something that perhaps your daughter could help with. I made some "bounty bars" a while back. They kept well in the freezer.

I love bounty. Can you give a link?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love bounty. Can you give a link?

I can't remember which recipe I used now. google keto bounty bars. There are a few to choose from. I didn't use the one with maple syrup! Look through the ingredients to see which one you prefer. I used 85 per cent chololate to coat them (only bit of cooking).

Go very easy on the sweetener. Add and taste, add a bit more if necessary.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
I can't remember which recipe I used now. google keto bounty bars. There are a few to choose from. I didn't use the one with maple syrup! Look through the ingredients to see which one you prefer. I used 85 per cent chololate to coat them (only bit of cooking).

Go very easy on the sweetener. Add and taste, add a bit more if necessary.
Okay thanks!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Give these a try! :) (Sorry it’s screen shots of a note in my iPad, but it’s one of my favourites so I don’t actually know where I got it from on the first place!)

BC6BCB0B-BCC0-47DB-9E5D-D5005379A700.jpeg

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think those without kids, young families etc find it slightly easier as there is less to think of. I might be wrong.

But adding kids, etc to the mix does make it a lot harder to cope I think.
Agreed there. A factor not always appreciated.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Download the copymethat app. Very useful for nabbing recipes as you surf the internet.

A couple more thoughts.

Google keto chocolate mug cake. I split the recipe between two ramakin dishes. Nuke for around 70 seconds and serve with double cream.

Look at these sites:
https://lowcarbyum.com/category/desserts/
https://www.ruled.me/keto-recipes/dessert/
https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/recipes-index/
https://www.gnom-gnom.com/

For pizza google fat head dough.

For Indian food
https://headbangerskitchen.com/keto-recipes/

A lot of recipes are no bake. We might get you cooking eventually, or use child labour :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Major Buckmaster welcome to eating cleverly to keep those bgs down.
I am at home with 2 young kids and a partner (at home) who has seperated needs.
I've been stones heavier but no matter my weight; bgs can be massaged to get good health.
Lots of tricks on this forum to do it.
I don't know about you but I love beating my high/er numbers.
Start by posting your morning fbg.... anytime as long as it makes sense to you.
Use the forum to achieve any of your goals. I advise... One by one. There is no hurry as long as you keep moving forward. Hiccups are natural and understandable when your babies come first.
Moving is the key.
Try and incorporate walking with the home schooling criteria, maybe. So something similiar.
Little changes which help enormously.

I must admit I was totally lost with eat well similiar diet from GP and dieticians. I've told them how my body reacts. My underactive thyroid reacts to certain vegetables so I customised eating plan I have. I hv a customised walking/exercise plan due to nipped nerves in pelvis and neck. All can be worked on.
I'm currently recovering from Roux-en-y operation to hammer my weight and insulin need down.
I'm not the final masterpiece but striving towards as close as I can get.
When I get there I will take measures to maintain. (A long way off yet but closer than I was 5yrs ago.) ;)
You will definitely do what you'd wish for yourself. Kids in tow too.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been stones heavier but no matter my weight; bgs can be massaged to get good health.
Use the forum to achieve any of your goals. I advise... One by one. There is no hurry as long as you keep moving forward. Hiccups are natural and understandable when your babies come first.
Moving is the key.
Try and incorporate walking with the home schooling criteria, maybe. So something similiar.

I must admit I was totally lost with eat well similiar diet from GP and dieticians. I've told them how my body reacts. My underactive thyroid reacts to certain vegetables so I customised eating plan I have. I hv a customised walking/exercise plan due to nipped nerves in pelvis and neck. All can be worked on.
I'm currently recovering from Roux-en-y operation to hammer my weight and insulin need down.
When I get there I will take measures to maintain. (A long way off yet but closer than I was 5yrs ago.) ;)
Welcome to the club.

In our case things have changed a lot at breakfast. Instead of chocolate cereal it is bacon, egg and sausage for the 7 year old, and mum and dad too. She expects that now. And rarely fruit juice or sugary drinks, mainly full fat milk.

Allistershaw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Very stressed at the moment. No interest in work, anything.

Not eating well at all. I have to kids, 11 and 8 and husband who keeps buying sweet things.

I can’t be bothered to exercise and before anyone asks, no I won’t see the doctor as I already am on meds for anxiety and have had to private rounds of CBT.

I just can’t stand being diabetic or worrying about my eyes, my heart.

I hate it and I have also completely stopped metformin as I just couldn’t stand it anymore. In that regard I feel a million times better, but find I want to eat, but not the right food because I hate cooking and can’t find anything interesting to cook.

Sorry for ranting but in a bad place.:(
Hi
Sorry to hear you’re in a bad place. I’ve been type 1 for 32 years and recently my consultant has been talking about Diabetic burnout. I had never come across the term before. I’ve been feeling pretty much same as you “can’t be bothered and fed up etc”.
I’ve been referred for an appointment with a psychiatrist to talk it over. Maybe this would be an option for you. Appointment came through fairly fast.
Hope you get any help you may need.

Ali

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Allistershaw have you seen the thread(s) about 'burn out'? Do a search in this forum as very useful. I feel.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm sorry that you are in a bad place. I can totally sympathise. I've only been LCHF for 6 weeks but I still really miss the sweet stuff. I started thinking I was 'cheating' if I used artificial sweeteners and I still don't use a lot but have found a Keto baked egg custard which I have every so often. My husband makes them for me- the recipe is for 4 servings- we make 5 so less than 2grams of carbs a serve- I use them over a week when I really need something sweet. I figure it's for life so I can't be miserable every day. I am fortunate that my husband is supporting me and I think you need to explain to your husband that you need his support.

Like the custard I prepare my lunches for the week in one go (another who doesn't like cooking). My lunches are NOT inspirational- right now it is smoked salmon, spinach leaves feta cheese with a baby cucumber and maybe some cheddar cheese. Today I had one of the custards.

I have given up breakfast on a weekday as I start work early and haven't found anything I like that I can take into work for breakfast.

I totally get how you are feeling- I've had to stop doing our grocery shop as just going in there reignites the craving for something sweet. You are not alone- please feel free to vent any time- I am certainly willing to listen and sympathise.

Well done on the walk- as another who doesn't really like exercise that is great- baby steps still get you forward.

Take care of yourself- It is a tough road and being a mum only makes it harder.

Good luck with the recipes here and let us know which ones work for you.

Take care!

Reactions: Route 66

philosophy47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry to hear about your current state. I hate and loathe LCHF diet but everyone here seems to think it is the best thing to do. I just eat the stuff I am supposed to and close my mind to what I really want. May I suggest, if you are home schooling that you start to do nutrition as part of the science, it might kill two birds with one stone. I am interested in the food that I eat which is why I hate LCHF. Take a subject, sugar for instance and teach all about it. Do a bit of blackberrying with the kids and make a lovely crumble afterwards, it can also be a part of home schooling. By doing that you might find an interest in food which might help with the cooking. I hope you find a way through.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Moving is the key.

Oh yes I read some of your posts. I'm sorry for your struggles!

I got my numbers down, I have lost tons of weight. I'm my old self in that regard, I walk during the week usually BUT

I work full time whilst home schooling
Am in the middle of selling my house.
Will have to pick up my son everyday for a while from another city plus the school has a lot of demands.
It's a school for boys and they're taking them on a trip within the first few weeks to get messy and do boy things. (Not sure I wish to know what they will get up to!
So have been running around trying to find the million items he needs for that, label all that, plus the never ending list of uniform!
Plus ulcerative colitis
My teeth are permanantly grinding together lol. The stress!:arghh:

And then comes the cooking at the end of the day, hence the can't be bothered attitude.

BUT
We have decided to go to Dubai for a break at Christmas. I'm hoping this will give a much needed rest. We usually do full on holidays with museums, exploring etc but I know I need what I call an empty headed break. Beach, shopping and water parks for the kids. If I can just get through the next few months it will be okay!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh yes I read some of your posts. I'm sorry for your struggles!

I got my numbers down, I have lost tons of weight. I'm my old self in that regard, I walk during the week usually BUT

I work full time whilst home schooling
Am in the middle of selling my house.
Will have to pick up my son everyday for a while from another city plus the school has a lot of demands.
It's a school for boys and they're taking them on a trip within the first few weeks to get messy and do boy things. (Not sure I wish to know what they will get up to!
So have been running around trying to find the million items he needs for that, label all that, plus the never ending list of uniform!
Plus ulcerative colitis
My teeth are permanantly grinding together lol. The stress!:arghh:

And then comes the cooking at the end of the day, hence the can't be bothered attitude.

BUT
We have decided to go to Dubai for a break at Christmas. I'm hoping this will give a much needed rest. We usually do full on holidays with museums, exploring etc but I know I need what I call an empty headed break. Beach, shopping and water parks for the kids. If I can just get through the next few months it will be okay!
Yeah, it can all be full on. I under slightly different circumstances find that I too am in a similar position. So I perfectly see where you are coming from. I do however try and get my head down and knock something out foodwise.

Chrissie18

Very stressed at the moment. No interest in work, anything.

Not eating well at all. I have to kids, 11 and 8 and husband who keeps buying sweet things.

I can’t be bothered to exercise and before anyone asks, no I won’t see the doctor as I already am on meds for anxiety and have had to private rounds of CBT.

I just can’t stand being diabetic or worrying about my eyes, my heart.

I hate it and I have also completely stopped metformin as I just couldn’t stand it anymore. In that regard I feel a million times better, but find I want to eat, but not the right food because I hate cooking and can’t find anything interesting to cook.

Sorry for ranting but in a bad place.:(
Rant away this is partly what this forum is for, support. Most of us have bad days and go through blips, but you do need to build a relationship with your diabetic nurse they should be more sympathetic that your doctor, I am presuming here you live in the UK? Every day is a new day. Fell off the wagon today then pick yourself up tomorrow. I found that simple was the way forward, grilled, roast meats or fish and lots of vegetables, steamed, baked, stir fried, then I gave my children pasta, rice or potatoes etc., Now they are grown up I am cheating more particularly as like you currently in a bad place but I am not beating myself up about it as I know it will pass. I do find however that I do not really have a sweet tooth anymore, the old adage of use it or lose it and this is worth losing. I also pretty much gave up alcohol and drink fizzy water with a twist of lime and the rest squeezed into the water and a dash of angostura bitters. I worked in India for several years and drank copious amounts of nimbu pani (to anyone Indian I apologise for the spelling), so drink it now. Love it.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Yeah, it can all be full on. I under slightly different circumstances find that I too am in a similar position. So I perfectly see where you are coming from. I do however try and get my head down and knock something out foodwise.

Rubbish isn't it. I have a suggestion for you. You can prepare me a meal and send it over. That way I don't have to do it.:hilarious:

kleigh88

It makes me really sad to read this as I have had experience of burnout and it's an awful place to be in. I have struggled before I had my baby in March last year as he was very poorly and I was too, we had a few days of desperation which was very distressing for me and I started to really struggle to take care of myself due to the impact of everything I went through on my mental health, which has suffered in the past, even before my diagnosis of type 1 diabetes. I'm similar to you in that I feel like a failure if I've done something wrong with my diabetes and it's an awful lot of pressure to put on ourselves. In May this year I was hospitalised with DKA for the first time since diagnosis almost 6 years ago now. Being hospitalised made me feel guilty that I had let things get to that point, as a mum your worst fear is not being around for your children and even the thought of it still wasn't enough for me to drag myself out of my burnout pit. Sadly we can't control what our brain thinks but at the same time there is very little support mentally for people who have diabetes and so it comes down to having to take care of ourselves. It doesn't come easy but when I started taking care of myself again after being in hospital, naturally after a few weeks my mood started lifting and I felt that I could cope with things again. I put alot of focus into losing weight in a healthy way and after 16 years of being negative and very cruel to myself, I decided that I didn't want my children to grow up to question the way that they look and to feel happy in their own skin. I used to call myself fat and ugly all the time and decided to try not say anything horrible about myself and after a couple of weeks I felt much better. I made the decision to wear a little bit of eye make up and lipstick and ditch all the concealer, foundation, blusher, eyeshadow and all the rest, I told my 9 year old that it was time I learned to be comfortable in my own skin and that I really wanted to like myself. I honestly can't tell you what a difference it has made to my headspace and to my diabetes control...don't get me wrong I get the odd hiccup here and there and I fully expect that this will always be the case with my diabetes but I really want to take control of my life and I feel that you are similar to me in alot of ways and I know you can take back control too. I'm sorry if I have rambled on a bit and I haven't posted on here for years but I felt compelled to write this when I read your post and hope it inspires you to get back on track. You are not alone and we are all stronger than we think xx

ShortStuff

It is hard & it is utterly rubbish being diabetic. I’m not one of the people who think it’s great because it’s made them healthier! I’m a resentful, grumpy diabetic.

However, the thing that gets me back up on the low carb wagon is the fear (of retinopathy, amputations etc) and a complete hatred of medication.

But, for me at least, it’s meds or dietary control (I’m lucky to have the choice I know) so I CHOOSE diet and remind myself a LOT that’s ~it’s MY choice.

I’m also not one of those posters who after being low carb for a while finds carby food too sweet or horrible - unfortunately.

It’s definitely harder when you have kids to feed. I do try to make meals we can all eat, but it’s not easy

Like you, I don’t like cooking. I have a LOT of salad!! And roasted veg.

I’m vegetarian & don’t eat eggs..to add to the difficulty! There’s not really much I can eat out of the house that’s low carb, vegetarian, no eggs. Which makes socialising difficult

Your husband needs a few home truths fired at him!! He’s being very selfish!! Does he not understand how difficult it is already without him waving ‘trears’ under your nose? Does he not want to grow old together?!

None of that helps you a lot, sorry, it’s more just a ‘you’re not alone hating all of this!!’

Reactions: ChrissiStar