Type 2 Heat, High Glucose and the Runs:(

Soozieann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sport.
Good afternoon:). I have had the runs today [sorry about this], I think it may have been the tomatoes and mushrooms at breakfast, I used to have a cast iron stomach, but since having type 2 I've been more susceptible to changes. I have always found the extreme heat hard to deal with and am grateful I don't have to go to work. I am not dehydrated. My glucose reading before breakfast was 8, it can be higher in the morning and am considering whether to take metformin morning and evening. I didn't feel like eating at lunch so had some muesli and a banana, which doesn't usually spike my glucose. I've just taken it and it's 11!!! Is it the heat that's messing it up? Sorry to go on. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thankfully it should be cooler tomorrow.

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
Mine would be in the 20s.

Soozieann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sport.
Metformin really messed with my stomach..

Would send mine through the roof as it seems to you...
Hi Bulkbiker. Thanks for your reply. Muesli and banana doesn't usually spike it. I have been trying to follow the low carb/ high fat diet, despite loving carbs, although fell off the wagon a bit after I retired in April. I was looking at the recipes on diet doctor today funnily enough. This was probably completely the wrong thing to do, but was feeling decidedly odd after I posted my question and had a slice of Cranks wholemeal bread [very high fibre] with crunchy peanut butter. Within ten minutes I was feeling so much better. I am also a carnivore much to the disgust of my vegan and vegetarian friends, although I am trying to eat more pulses and lentils [love them too]. Tonight I'm cooking chicken with bacon and two cheeses, braised cabbage and a little mashed potato, my portion mixed with celeriac [hubby hates celeriac]. Well done you for coming off all meds and controlling through fasting and diet. Metformin messed my stomach up for about a week and is OK now.

Soozieann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sport.
Mine would be in the 20s.
:) it's weird as it's usually OK, I have a feeling something else was going on. After I posted, I had a slice of Cranks bread [very high fibre] and crunchy peanut butter, I felt so much better afterwards. Low carb high fat dinner tonight.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. I am also a carnivore much to the disgust of my vegan and vegetarian friends, although I am trying to eat more pulses and lentils [love them too].
Doubt that will help with the upset tum..the pulses and lentils I mean.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Good afternoon:). I have had the runs today [sorry about this], I think it may have been the tomatoes and mushrooms at breakfast, I used to have a cast iron stomach, but since having type 2 I've been more susceptible to changes. I have always found the extreme heat hard to deal with and am grateful I don't have to go to work. I am not dehydrated. My glucose reading before breakfast was 8, it can be higher in the morning and am considering whether to take metformin morning and evening. I didn't feel like eating at lunch so had some muesli and a banana, which doesn't usually spike my glucose. I've just taken it and it's 11!!! Is it the heat that's messing it up? Sorry to go on. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thankfully it should be cooler tomorrow.
The body effectively has four ways of trying to get rid of poisons as quickly as possible, All of them via a liquid route - sneezing,
vomiting, urinating and diarrhoea. Even the blood system via the kidneys and via spots gets rid of poisons in its liquid way. I noticed as a Type 1 that sudden sharp rises in blood sugar would cause diarrhoea and a runny nose. Until I acquired a blood testing meter in 1979, I used to think it was usually a summer cold. When I was able to monitor reactions properly, I soon realised that blood sugar was the problem. Add the fact that many Type 2s say Metformin can have the same effect, you could put it down to just one or two of these options. If the weather is cooler tomorrow and nothing has changed, it would be worth investigating. Good luck!

Soozieann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sport.
Doubt that will help with the upset tum..the pulses and lentils I mean.
No they're fine. The tum seems to be responding badly to tomatoes and mushrooms, which rarely happens. I wonder what effect the heat is having on me, I never take well to it and wondered if anyone else responded badly to it.

Soozieann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sport.
The body effectively has four ways of trying to get rid of poisons as quickly as possible, All of them via a liquid route - sneezing,
vomiting, urinating and diarrhoea. Even the blood system via the kidneys and via spots gets rid of poisons in its liquid way. I noticed as a Type 1 that sudden sharp rises in blood sugar would cause diarrhoea and a runny nose. Until I acquired a blood testing meter in 1979, I used to think it was usually a summer cold. When I was able to monitor reactions properly, I soon realised that blood sugar was the problem. Add the fact that many Type 2s say Metformin can have the same effect, you could put it down to just one or two of these options. If the weather is cooler tomorrow and nothing has changed, it would be worth investigating. Good luck!
Many thanks. I will monitor it with the temperature tomorrow. A reading of 8 in the morning, pre breakfast, is not that unusual for me. I've been on Metformin for over two years so it's not that. I will definitely investigate.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Soozieann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sport.
Thanks to you all for your replies. Two hours after my peanut butter on Cranks bread, my glucose was 8.2, not great but a lot better than 11!! Within a short while of eating it I felt back to normal. Someone once told me temperature can throw your glucose out, but from what I'd read on Google today the info was it dropped. Always the exception if that's what it was, hopefully I'm not developing IBS. Wishing you all a good night.:)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Out of interest when do you check foods to determine if they are ok or not?

I’m shocked that as a type 2 museli, banana, bread etc are not causing a problem and wonder if you are missing it or truely unusual and lucky to not be effected by these things. Mushrooms and to some extent tomatoes much less likely to cause a rise.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No they're fine. The tum seems to be responding badly to tomatoes and mushrooms, which rarely happens. I wonder what effect the heat is having on me, I never take well to it and wondered if anyone else responded badly to it.
So what kind of levels do you usually see eating things like pulses etc?
I'm curious as to what your "normal" is.

Soozieann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sport.
Well, it's definitely heat related. I just don't do well in heat. At least I know now.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Well, it's definitely heat related. I just don't do well in heat. At least I know now.
Hi Soozieann,
Please let us know what BG readings (increases) you get from your very carby meals!
I know that we Type2's are all different in our reaction to certain types of carbs, but for somebody with Insulin resistance (which is what Type 2 is) you seem to be able to handle even high GI carbs in quantities that non-diabetics can!
I am so curious about who that works for you.