Killer bacon!!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2024603/Diabetes-threat-slices-bacon-day-increased-50.html

Just two rashers of bacon a day can increase the risk of diabetes by more than 50 per cent, scientists claim.

Eating a single sausage, small burger or a few slices of salami every day drastically raises the chances of developing the illness.

Research has found that just 100g of red meat every day – or half a normal size steak – increases the likelihood of type 2 diabetes by a fifth..........

It would be nice if they talked about the mechanism, however.

And remember http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

Correlation does not imply causation" (related to "ignoring a common cause" and questionable cause) is a phrase used in science and statistics to emphasize that correlation between two variables does not automatically imply that one causes the other

It would be nice if they stated what the risk level was that was being increased by 50% as well.

All in all it looks like another Daily Wail scare story.

Enjoy your breakfast :)

Cheers

LGC

P.S. if you already have diabetes then there is presumably no longer a risk of developing it so you can eat as much as you like.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Well there are two great things about being a diabetic:
1) Having to eat enormous amounts of bacon.
2) Not having to worry about catching diabetes.

It is some how ironic that the punishment for eating too much bacon, is to be forced to live on a low-carb diet, that consists mainly of bacon.

Grazer

borofergie said:
Well there are two great things about being a diabetic:
1) Having to eat enormous amounts of bacon.
2) Not having to worry about catching diabetes.

Nice one borofergie!
Obviously the scientists forgot to consider that it might just be the large quantity of white flour baps and rolls surrounding the bacon and burgers that lots of people eat that causes the problems.
Malc

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I never (very rarely) ate red meat in any qty until I was already diagnosed as diabetic.

I DID, however, eat pasta, rice, brown bread, baked potatoes, rice (all low in fat, and protein) at every meal.

Coincidence???

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Not really ever been a red meat lover, but do have a soft spot for bacon, hard to believe that just two rashers can make one susceptible to diabetes, not that I have to worry about that, one of the few pros of being diabetic!

I hope you are feeling better - I noticed that you had a rough spell not so long ago, I was going to post but life just got in the way :wink: :)

Also,just want to say that I love your little grey cat!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Partial to a piece of bacon myself occasionally, I only ever eat red meat on a weekend now and much prefer poultry and fish throughout the week.

Nigel

alaska

Worthy of consideration :?:

Nitrosamines and Cancer
http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/f-w00/nitrosamine.html
Of all the cured meats, bacon has received the most attention. It almost always contains detectable levels of nitrosamines, principally nitrosopyrrolidine and, to a lesser extent, dimethylnitrosamine. The very high cooking temperatures used to fry bacon are conducive to nitrosamine formation. In the late 1970s, extensive attention was focused on the issue of nitrosamines in cured meats, and the removal of sodium nitrite as a food additive was considered. However, the prospect of sodium nitrite removal presented a formidable dilemma for the regulatory agencies. Removal of sodium nitrite would prevent nitrosamine formation, but it might also increase the risk of botulism poisoning. Sodium nitrite and sodium chloride together are particularly effective against Clostridium botulinum. The solution to the dilemma was to limit the addition of sodium nitrite to 120 parts per million (ppm), the lowest level found to be effective in controlling growth and toxin production by Clostridium botulinum.

Preservatives in Meats Like Bacon Lead to Heart Disease, Study Suggests
http://www.cardiacdisability.com/2010/05/preservatives-in-meats-and-heart-disease/
A Harvard research team analyzed data from approximately 1,600 studies that were conducted to determine whether a link existed between meat consumption and heart disease and diabetes.

They could not, however, find any association between consuming regular, unprocessed meat with an increased risk of the harmful condition.

Interesting addition from Cowboy Jim
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=23326
Harvard School of Public Health in the largest study of its kind to date and appears in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition says that eating 50 grams of processed red meat every day increased a person's diabetes risk by 51 per cent, while eating 100 grams of unprocessed red meat each day, about the size of a deck of cards, boosted the risk by 19 per cent.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Killer bacon!!! :shock:

killer%20bacon.gif

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is the abstract of the Harvard Meta-analysis.
I think the biggest problem is from processed meat, the increased risk from twice the amount of unprocessed red meat on a daily basis is much lower. I suspect that a dietary pattern that includes lots of processed meat may also include lots of other processed foods.
http://www.ajcn.org/content/early/2011/ ... eb336cb54f
A more detailed account +comment I found
http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20110810 ... isk?page=2

When I was looking up the one on diabetes I also found this one in the current ajcn .It was a study of looking at diet and strokes in Swedish men.
It found
'Consumption of processed meat, but not of fresh red meat, was positively associated with risk of stroke. '
http://www.ajcn.org/content/94/2/417.abstract

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Was that your breakfast cooking Sid? :lol:

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love your cookery photos sid, just had someone stick their head round my office door wondering why I was chuckling to myself :)

Cheers

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
rolmao.gif

Thats brilliant Sid and thanks for the extra smilies

Ann

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Sid, that is very clever and very tempting!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Like the Dan & Dan song, very clever :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I like the Daily Mail

The puzzle pages are challenging - I take out the middle & throw the rest away.