T2 Low Carb Success stories? Blow your own trumpet!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Were you diagnosed with type 2 diabetes?

Are you experiencing improved health such as reduced medication, weight loss as or even type 2 diabetes remission a result of following the Low Carb Program?

Help spread the word! We are looking for Low Carb Program success stories to be interviewed as contributors for a feature in the Daily Mail Good Health section. If you are currently on the Program, or have completed the Program within the last 18 months our press office would love to hear from you.

A £50 fee will be paid by the Daily Mail to contributors.

For those interested, please respond here, or send me a PM, and I can make the relevant introductions.

These things really do make a difference. Thanks!

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed
D

Deleted member 308541

Are you experiencing improved health such as reduced medication, weight loss as or even type 2 diabetes remission a result of following the Low Carb Program?
I did all this without going on the Low Carb Program.

I have been off Metformin for six months, my hba1c blood tests have been in the low 30 mmol/mol range for the last two years. My weight is stable around 96 Kgs, bmi is good as well.

I eat well on the lchf lifestyle, plenty of variety in my food and lots of meat / bacon / dairy products included also.

I doubt they will want to speak to me though...

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As I read that, I think perhaps the title is misleading.

It reads as only those who have been on the low carb programme to my eyes.

stevenkpalmer

I was diagnosed 2 months ago with type2 diabetes. I was advised not to monitor my blood glucose, and given little advice on diet. However I am familiar with low carb dieting and have read Dr Atkins book.
Since diagnosis I have cut my carbs to a very low level ( with the occasional lapse) and my weight has dropped from 14 stone 7 lbs to 13 stone 2 lbs. I still enjoy meat, dairy, fruits esp berries , and nuts, seeds and dark chocolate. My BP is improved and I am confidently anticipating my next HBA1c test.

Reactions: jjraak

misterjohn

Help spread the word! We are looking for Low Carb Program success stories to be interviewed as contributors for a feature in the Daily Mail Good Health section. If you are currently on the Program, or have completed the Program within the last 18 months our press office would love to hear from you.

For those interested, please respond here, or send me a PM, and I can make the relevant introductions.

M 72 UK
6ft 1in, 12st 3lbs, waist 36in
BP 130/70 avg

I was diagnosed as T2 in December 2018 after the second consecutive month of being 50 mmol + in HbA1c.

I had been on a pre-diabetic watch list at the local surgery for three years. I had had ups and downs with my HbA1c during that period.... but towards the beginning of 2018, I let go of a fairly strict control of my diet. I binged on crisps, Pringles; I had six slices of thick buttered toast and two instant porridges for breakfast. My weight was 14st 4lbs (the biggest I’ve ever been).

At the time, I didn’t have detailed knowledge of dietary requirements and measurements. I knew I had to eat more fruit and vegetables and cut down on chips. But that’s about all.

Now, 8 months down the line, I am 6 months in remission of T2 diabetes... with a modest HbA1c of around 40 mmol.

How did I do it?

Firstly, I took a sledge hammer to my diet.

GONE: all bread, all pastries of any kind, all crisps, all snacks, all biscuits, all cakes, all sweets, all chips, smoothies
DOWN: all potato helpings slashed
IN: porridge for breakfast (not the instant porridge-in-a-cup type), coleslaw. tinned mackerel, baked beans, mixed beans, vegetable soups, Greek yogurts, vegetables (which I had previously avoided: cabbage, broccoli)
INCREASED: cycling (I bought an electric bike.... and I usually cycle 10 to 12 miles a day... putting some effort in ..)
NEW: Adopting a rule of thumb for the labels on packaged meals (staying under 10g per 100g of carbs).
NEW: I am trying to log the carb intake of everything I eat, using a simple diary app on my smartphone. At the moment, I can only manage breakfast. But it’s a start.

I’ve attended two dietetic awareness courses.... one of which was a six-week intensive informational programme). So I know a little more about carbs, fat, glycemic indices, etc.

I’m thankful to be one of the 1 in a 1000 who manage remission. But I know that I could easily slide back. It’s not over until the fat lady sings.

I may not be the standard suspect. I’m a single (divorced) male, living alone. I’m in pretty good shape for my age (thank God!). I am not obsessed unhealthily about food; in other words, food to me is just a fuel. I have no time for the litany of cooking and baking programmes on television.. We cannot take our stomachs with us when we die. These cooking programmes are monumentally trivial in a world where some go hungry.

I have no desire to have diabetes turn me into a Kitchen Princess; this means, I eat very simple food.. with the absolute minimum of preparation. The evening meal is often a TV dinner from the new health range at the local supermarket.

I still have a way to go to tighten my iron grip on my diet.

I still have too many carbs at breakfast (although, in my favour, they are all complex carbs with a low glycemic index).

I am bingeing on soya yogurt. It has a low carb rating... but I am eating too much.

And I still haven’t started swimming yet. Or been to the gym. Both are on the list. Stephen Fry’s advice about going for long walks, listening to podcasts, is not going unheeded with me. I may adopt the listening strategy to sweeten gym attendance.

Thank you for reading this. My next HbA1c reading will be at the end of September. I’m fearing the worst... but then, I’m a natural pessimist. We’ll see.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite right, didn't read the OP properly. I am low carb but the free version - that's the one where I use my own common sense - which is probably where all the problems start!
The dragon no longer breathes fire nor wears a tweed skirt. Yesterday she was in a very smart dark blue nurses uniform and tells me with a smile that I am doing well. I'm beginning to like her. I was even able to give her the phone number of my roofer / builder because she's doing her house up. Her husband is my GP so between them they have masses of responsibilty but also plenty of cash.
She couldn't find much of a pulse in my feet but I reassured her, it wasn't her fault that the doppler machine was faulty.
As I left I blind-sided her with an article about duff mitochondria being the cause of inflammation as opposed to glucose imbalance. That, I thought would tell her that I know far more about T2, resistance and everything else than she does. I was wrong. The final five minutes of my consultation was me listening to her lecture on mitochondria, much of it given over to medical expressions that were totally alien to me!
We still disagree on statins / cholesterol but I take them for the vascular thing anyway so her husband gets the sales commission, helping no doubt to pay for the building work.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think a lot of us have been very successfully controlling our diabetes since before, or without, the Low Carb Program, but obviously that's not going to help publicize it's success.

Robbity