winelover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Just found a website myketokitchen.com. Has anyone tried anything from here? They don't show the carb value, not that i've found anyway.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The nutrition facts are usually right down the bottom.of the recipe. I find that the recipe is sometimes repeated and that it is at the bottom of the second recipe.

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Hello do people who do low
Carb do High fat too?
High fat is more filling, but usually contains more calories.
If you’re on Facebook there are some great Low Carb and Keto groups, look for UK groups.
Also take a look at Dietdoctor. There are lots of great food ideas which are free if you download the app.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/

Reactions: Nickers and Prem51

Nickers

Thanks I don’t have Facebook but have been looking at Dietdoctor which is helping.
Is it worth buying cheeses with high fat than low fat ones?
Thanks

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Low fat cheeses usually have other ingredients added to them to give them taste. Check out the carb content.

Nickers

Banana loaf

Banana loaf

60g Melted Butter
3 Eggs
1 tbsp Banana essence (you can buy this from Asian shops or online)
1 Tbsp Smooth Peanut Butter
1 Mashed Banana
1 tbsp of rum (optional)
Beat all together, then add dry ingredients, and beat again

1 & ½ Cups Almond Meal
¼ Cup Xylitol or equivalent sweetener of your choice
1/3 Cup Coconut
2 Tsp Baking Powder

Bake at 170degrees for about 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out
clean.
1 cup = 250ml

This is lovely and comforting served slightly warm with cream or low carb custard or just with a cuppa.
I had a slice with my coconut coffee YUM!!

http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/forum/v ... ?f=4&t=833

Is Almond meal the flour?
Thanks

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is Almond meal the flour?
Thanks
Yes but it can be expensive! Ground almonds work just as well and are much cheaper, but will have a slightly coarser texture. And please: don't use xylitol if you have dogs as it's extremely dangerous to them -erythritol and stevia are good for diabetic use and much safer if dogs are around. In general a bit wary of eating bananas as they're are high in carbs, but will probably be OK in the loaf unless you're going to scoff it all in one go!:hungry:

And regarding cheese (and all creams. yoghurts, etc): you should use the normal full fat versions and NOT the lite/light/reduced fat/alternatives which tends to have more carbs (and often other stuff added) to compensate for the lack of natural fats that have been removed.

Robbity

Reactions: Serena51

Nickers

Yes but it can be expensive! Ground almonds work just as well and are much cheaper, but will have a slightly coarser texture. And please: don't use xylitol if you have dogs as it's extremely dangerous to them -erythritol and stevia are good for diabetic use and much safer if dogs are around. In general a bit wary of eating bananas as they're are high in carbs, but will probably be OK in the loaf unless you're going to scoff it all in one go!:hungry:

And regarding cheese (and all creams. yoghurts, etc): you should use the normal full fat versions and NOT the lite/light/reduced fat/alternatives which tends to have more carbs (and often other stuff added) to compensate for the lack of natural fats that have been removed.

Robbity

Ah that’s lovely thanks so much for this information, I do have 2 dogs so that’s good to know I just use candarel. Hopefully I’ll not eat it one go

Reactions: jjraak

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you - much appreciated. I won't faff with separating eggs for the sake of it but if I ever have any spare I will try it :)
Waitrose, Sainsburys and Tesco sell cartons of separated egg whites:

Screenshot 2019-09-21 at 17.53.08.png

Nickers

Coffee and Cake anyone?

Stracciatella cake
110 g butter, softened
120 g cream cheese
5 eggs, medium size
185 g almond flour
sweetener equivalent to 100g sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
almond essence/orange essence/vanilla essence
50 g of 85% chocolate

Preheat oven to 170 ° C.
Mix butter and cream cheese really well
Add sweetener and essence of your choice and stir again
Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition
Stir in almond flour and baking powder
Chop chocolate into small pieces and add to the mixture
Line and grease a small loaf tin or use a silicon baking dish
Pour in the cake mixture, level out the top
Bake for 55 minutes at 170 ° C in a fan assisted oven (would be 180 in a normal oven I think)

I have made 2 of these cakes yesterday, took one with me to work, everyone enjoyed.
The cake is moist, and will freeze, always have a cake ready for when one of those cravings strike.
Its so lovely with tea/coffee, served with a dollop of cream it wont leave you hungry for a while.

http://lchf.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2886#p69379

Does anyone know what the carb intake would be for this please? Thank you

pechelbron

Has anybody found that switching to gluten free has lowered their blood sugar. Looks like most gluten free flours, apart from very expensive almond, have the same carbs per 100g as normal bread.

Reactions: dka

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anybody found that switching to gluten free has lowered their blood sugar. Looks like most gluten free flours, apart from very expensive almond, have the same carbs per 100g as normal bread.

Going gluten free made my bgs much more stable and predictable, as if, suddenly, my blood glucose was reacting to the actual carb amount rather than some weird and wonderful random jangly cossack dance. :)

dka

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes I've found that going gluten free helps quite bit, plus I think gluten generally makes me feel worse.

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dave's creamy, parmesan cabbage!!!

Just made this up to go with the slow cooked pork belly I had for tea. I also did courgettes fried in olive oil. It was delicious, you've got to try it!!!!

I used two sweet heart cabbages, just what Aldi had in.

Take out the cores and slice them length ways, heat a large pan then add cabbage. Add a small amount of water (just enough to create some steam), cover and cook on full heat for 4 or 5 minutes, you want the cabbage wilted but with still some bite.

Take off heat, add a decent knob of butter. a glug of cream and some mustard to taste, (I did a teaspoon), mix thoroughly and put back on the heat, grate some fresh Parmesan on, as much as you want, salt and pepper to taste.

Delicious, I could have ate a mountain of it!

Just need to come up with a low carb sauce to cut through the belly pork fat, needed something sweet and acidic. Although the Sauvignon Blanc did a good job at doing that LOL

You could even add some pancetta or streaky bacon to the cabbage for a low carb carbonara!

Hope you give it a go.
Love this. I've had it for two nights running for the evening meal, first with a pork chop, then lamb chops. I like to slice the cabbage really thinly, drain off the residual water, and then add cream, cheese, mustard, salt. Mmmm .. very nice.

Reactions: DJC3 and Djw456

yangka

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a my friend share to me a ebook "Simple tasty keto recipes" . I easy in ketosiss with it . If you want it , you can pm me

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
An interesting little find earlier today - its actually part of a very complex and very old cake recipe. However what caught my eye was the "wafer with pistachios". Very simple and if you make it using sweetener instead of sugar, very low carb as well. I experimented by making a batch this afternoon and they make for some nice snacks (I halved the recipe listed and made about 10 'bars' which come roughly to 3.5g of carbs per slice without the sweetener calculated in).

Finally some use for sliced almonds I can get behind :D

https://www.howtocookthat.net/public_html/napoleon-bonapartes-wedding-cake/