lchf help required

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have gone back to work at 68 years old as I feel so much better eating a low carb diet, so much more energy and no more nose dives onto the bed mid afternoon.
The diet reduced my blood glucose almost at once and I felt so much better. I did start off taking tablets, and they soon made me feel dreadful - so I stopped.

Reactions: Paul2866

zibby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Been a t2 for about 9 yrs now on meds but hate taking them also high bp meds for that too, i enjoy my meats eggs cheese but also bread tatties cerals what i need to know is where to start its hard to try an change also have no energy at all work permanant nights so not easy , thanks inadvance
Paul

zibby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is almost my story. As of last week I was put on insulin, best thing I have done. Hated taking meds, high BMs, eat *****. Feel 80% better.

Paul2866

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is almost my story. As of last week I was put on insulin, best thing I have done. Hated taking meds, high BMs, eat *****. Feel 80% better.
Never done this before have a few cravings but trying to ignore them lol just got to see how it pans out

Reactions: HSSS

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Gradually cut back on the carbs you’ll not notice you’re missing them ...I too work nights which is better for my glucose control as working a double day shift (2 weeks about) would throw my sugars all over the shop for the first week of the shift ..... I was put on a low carb diet before the milk diet prior to my gastric bypass ....I found losing the weight was fairly easy but put the weight back on too easily.

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been on insulin for nearly 20 years but found myself chasing good control by injecting and eating ....worked too well and I ballooned upto 24st .... had my gastric bypass 10 years back with the intention of getting off insulin but that lasted a few months so I had to return to using insulin again at a much lower dosage ...my weight is a very steady 105kg and I’m 6’2” ....ps. I’m also taking tablets for the diabetes too metformin helps the body use the insulin better

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
Hi all

Been a t2 for about 9 yrs now on meds but hate taking them also high bp meds for that too, i enjoy my meats eggs cheese but also bread tatties cerals what i need to know is where to start its hard to try an change also have no energy at all work permanant nights so not easy , thanks inadvance
Paul
Hi Paul Iv had type 2 for approx 25 years before I retired 15 years ago I did shift work for 26 years Im sure thats why I have diabetes a lot of collagues I knew had been diagnosed with type 2 too .I used to get tired all the time until a short spell in hospital 6 years ago i was diagnosed with sleep apnoea Which I was treated for I now wear a mask at night or your case daytime connected to an airpump so when i wake up during night it pushes air into my lungs so i dont wake up i used to wake up between approx 200 times a night now a lot fewer and i dont feel tired all the time good luck

Paul2866

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Paul Iv had type 2 for approx 25 years before I retired 15 years ago I did shift work for 26 years Im sure thats why I have diabetes a lot of collagues I knew had been diagnosed with type 2 too .I used to get tired all the time until a short spell in hospital 6 years ago i was diagnosed with sleep apnoea Which I was treated for I now wear a mask at night or your case daytime connected to an airpump so when i wake up during night it pushes air into my lungs so i dont wake up i used to wake up between approx 200 times a night now a lot fewer and i dont feel tired all the time good luck
Think the permanant nights is whats making me feel bad and coursing bs to be high im looking into goin on days i ave asked a few times but keeps falling on deaf ears been looking at the eqaulities act think i may have a case there well see

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.
Hi all

Paul

Carbs are your enemy. Most of us love bread and cereals, they are quick and easy to obtain anytime night or day. I was staggered when I actually weighed a portion of cereal as recommended on the box, small like you wouldn't believe, no bigger than a single Kellogs variety packet (and I would eat at least 2 of those as a snack). You need to cut down on all carbs as much as possible. I find that I can eat some carbs without too much of a problem if I'm being very active, you didn't say what type of work you do but if it is physical I still wouldn't recommend carbs too often. Add nuts (unsalted) to your night time snack list, easy to slip into a pocket, or add a little fruit, but you need to be careful which ones, and how much you eat. I'm sorry to say that the consequences of not getting it right could be dire, I've been type 2 for about 20 years but 3 years ago started injecting insulin. I wish you all the best.