What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wifi I miss you!!!

DAY 3 - CARTAGENA

Woke at 3am by thunderstorm. Eeek hope our little boat will be ok. You feel a bit vulnerable to say the least in the middle of the ocean. But not one little rock! Sailed along as if nothing was happening. Never will get my head around how 70,000 tons floats like a butterfly! Still amazes me when planes fly too, like birds.

Didn't get back to sleep after. No internet either!!! So just made some notes on my phone ready to post asap! Happy doing that. Eric was sleeping like a baby. Those cocktails were good!

Up early, checked weather. Sunshine and temp of 28 degrees. Nice. I'd booked a free walking tour. Tried to get directions on Google without success so went to reception. Turns out I'd booked us on the Cartagena walking tour alright but the one in BRAZIL!! So a more leisurely breakfast than we anticipated. (No intentions of going that far just cos it was free .)

Short 5 minute walk from ship to town. Spotted a little train! Love them. They give you a good insight of the area. €7 each. Hopped on. Spanish guide. His 40 minute commentary was supposed to be in 2 languages. Spanish obviously and English but to be honest I dont know where one finished and the other started... all sounded foreign to me! So no wiser when we disembarked. And at times I really wish I had a bit more padding on the old bottom, and this was one of them, not the comfiest form of transport by any stretch of the imagination.

As for Cartagena! Underwhelmed I'm sorry to say. After sailing across the ocean for 36 hours I was expecting something that at least was open! Many shops were closed. Many cafes too. Anyway we scooted around it by foot in less than an hour. Stopped for coffee and to check out the people! Then back to ship.

Good day for pool activity we thought. We actually found 2 beds together with no towels on! Hundreds actually, we could more or less take our pick! This was a first. So, drinks - check, towels - check, books - check, suncream - check. Relax - check.

Back to our room to change for dinner. Pre dinner quiz in the Schooner Bar. 80s and 90s name tune. We should win. It's our era. So how did we only get 8 out of 15!!! Long time ago! Memory fading .

Watched a dance compo. Very funny.

Another fabulous 3 courses in Tides served by Marlon and Fernando.

The karaoke. Could only listen to 10 mins of that screeching. Then showtime in the theatre. West end musicals theme. And my God it was good. Very professional.

Finished in the centrium. 80s music. As you can see from the video everyone was having a great time. We knew all the words too!!!

Bed to dream about Barcelona!!!

NO LIFTS
OVER 12,000 STEPS (RUBBUSH!)

Pics to follow

Attachments

• 20190824_204212_resized.jpg
    20190824_204212_resized.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 20190827_072500_resized.jpg
    20190827_072500_resized.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 20190827_095922_resized.jpg
    20190827_095922_resized.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 20190827_101320_resized.jpg
    20190827_101320_resized.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 109
  • 20190826_175947_resized.jpg
    20190826_175947_resized.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 20190826_170905_resized.jpg
    20190826_170905_resized.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 20190825_140230_resized.jpg
    20190825_140230_resized.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 20190825_133754_resized.jpg
    20190825_133754_resized.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 437
  • 20190826_055321_resized.jpg
    20190826_055321_resized.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
edited to add a big hug for @gennepher ,can they not provide some guidance in the interim?

Thanks @geefull
That was all I got, a text from her, but I cannot reply on it, it doesn’t take replies.
There was no advice. But I will go in this afternoon and ask to speak to her.
I can’t make a phone call as I am deaf and cannot hear on the telephone.
Thank you

You have a great day with your mum

Reactions: karen8967

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are right. I will go in this afternoon, and ask to speak to her...failing that, ask for an appointment.
Sorry gennepher of course I should have remembered your hearing difficulties but an appointment is the least s/he can do...I am so frustrated hearing how dismissive our HCP's can be...that casual indifference is outrageous...I would insist on an appointment & some appropriate advice...good luck.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who celebrate national bin day, other days not available.

A mixture of readings for me over the last few days ranging from 8 down to 5.4, I have halved my dose of Metformin MR under the guidance of the hospital diabetic consultant with the proviso that I might have to increase my insulin. I have taken this action due intermittent bowel problems and after numerous tests and examinations the Metformin is looking more likely the cause when mixed with all my other medications.

Well folks have a good day and if I catch that fox that's been inhabiting the top part of my garden.......

Reactions: karen8967

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Clean t-shirt, shorts and fleece for the weather change today. @Cumberland hug for the strife but huge respect for the spirit and grace you show. @gennepher hope the foot appointment goes well and no ark needed. My bg could well have been 5.6 today. I would be lying if I implied any satisfaction with that but it is what it is and I can't tell how much it is influenced by thoughts or reason for Friday's op, food choices, hot weather or anything else. As @PenguinMum says, stay well, stay safe. I'm off to for a pre-op assessment.
A few words......all the best and smile for the surgeon and the team.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wifi I miss you!!!

DAY 3 - CARTAGENA

Woke at 3am by thunderstorm. Eeek hope our little boat will be ok. You feel a bit vulnerable to say the least in the middle of the ocean. But not one little rock! Sailed along as if nothing was happening. Never will get my head around how 70,000 tons floats like a butterfly! Still amazes me when planes fly too, like birds.

Didn't get back to sleep after. No internet either!!! So just made some notes on my phone ready to post asap! Happy doing that. Eric was sleeping like a baby. Those cocktails were good!

Up early, checked weather. Sunshine and temp of 28 degrees. Nice. I'd booked a free walking tour. Tried to get directions on Google without success so went to reception. Turns out I'd booked us on the Cartagena walking tour alright but the one in BRAZIL!! So a more leisurely breakfast than we anticipated. (No intentions of going that far just cos it was free .)

Short 5 minute walk from ship to town. Spotted a little train! Love them. They give you a good insight of the area. €7 each. Hopped on. Spanish guide. His 40 minute commentary was supposed to be in 2 languages. Spanish obviously and English but to be honest I dont know where one finished and the other started... all sounded foreign to me! So no wiser when we disembarked. And at times I really wish I had a bit more padding on the old bottom, and this was one of them, not the comfiest form of transport by any stretch of the imagination.

As for Cartagena! Underwhelmed I'm sorry to say. After sailing across the ocean for 36 hours I was expecting something that at least was open! Many shops were closed. Many cafes too. Anyway we scooted around it by foot in less than an hour. Stopped for coffee and to check out the people! Then back to ship.

Good day for pool activity we thought. We actually found 2 beds together with no towels on! Hundreds actually, we could more or less take our pick! This was a first. So, drinks - check, towels - check, books - check, suncream - check. Relax - check.

Back to our room to change for dinner. Pre dinner quiz in the Schooner Bar. 80s and 90s name tune. We should win. It's our era. So how did we only get 8 out of 15!!! Long time ago! Memory fading .

Watched a dance compo. Very funny.

Another fabulous 3 courses in Tides served by Marlon and Fernando.

The karaoke. Could only listen to 10 mins of that screeching. Then showtime in the theatre. West end musicals theme. And my God it was good. Very professional.

Finished in the centrium. 80s music. As you can see from the video everyone was having a great time. We knew all the words too!!!

Bed to dream about Barcelona!!!

NO LIFTS
OVER 12,000 STEPS (RUBBUSH!)

Pics to follow

20190825_133754_resized-jpg.35257

Liking that shot, Deb's.

Sounds like the time we went to Calais.. One of those early closing days.. Nothing opened when we arrived..lol

But still sounding like a great holiday and what an adventure

Not the most seafaring of people :***::grumpy:
so a ferry is about my limit, but you have opened my eyes a little..mmm

Have a good un... Not that you need my good wishes by the sounds of it :D

( Hi Eric. Hope your have a great time too.
Looks and sounds fantastic :headphone:)

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning All. 6.2 today and I am just glad to be in the 6s atm.
Oh dear @Cumberland I dont know how you cope with the wretched hypos. I really hope the clinic can help. Hugs. @gennepher hang on in there the numbers will go down eventually, thats what I am reciting to myself every day. @DJC3 what a lovely thing to happen, restores your faith in people. @ianpspurs hope today goes to plan and we are all with you every step of the way. @SaskiaKC I love the Good Ship Lollinot emoticons..very clever and funny. Can I be one of the jigging sailors?
Well Wednesday already. Stay well, stay safe.

Absolutely! Do you want to be the one in the cap with the pompom? I like the cap with the anchor, and I would not ask you to be the chef -- this is not a working holiday! :)

Reactions: DJC3 and trick60

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.9 this morning after about 4 hours' sleep. I woke up to lower-body pain, unable to tell where it was coming from -- pelvic area? lower back? upper legs? I am going to put it down to yesterday's inactivity and say it is my back and legs. It's easing off now after some ice water and a couple of acetaminophen, and I will try to move around more today and see if that helps.

@ianpspurs a big hug for you, and hopes that all will go well.

Big hugs and hopes to @gennepher and @alf_Josiah .

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there Folks. I've been on my keto "bread" baking sabbatical, with very poor results. Basically it goes like this: if you want a beer, then have a beer, not a chemical substitute. Same with bread only worse.

Techie bit now. Bread bakers know that the elasticity from the gluten proteins plus the raising action from the yeast and sugars enables the glorious rise in the oven. The high temperature caramelizes some of the surface sugars, giving a "baked" brown crust.

Keto "bread" has none of these features. My experiments are producing high fibre 400gm house bricks at over £2.50 a time.

Change of tack. Given that there is no chance of producing "bread" by the traditional method, as found by my experiments, I will adopt a new plan. That is to make Irish Soda Bread, using 50/50 linseed and almond instead of the wheat flour. My first effort will use the traditional buttermilk, which does have some carbs, but also the acidity to activate the baking soda. I will report success/failure in a few weeks' time.

Hope you have all had a great late summer. So hot here on the South Coast. Tonight will be the first for days when I have actually climbed into my bed.

Oh yes, diabetes retinopathy no problem after all. I was so dreading that. Looked at the letter for ages, then opened it. In BIG WRITING it said NO PROBLEM.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning. Lovely early morning light here, everything is rosy pink.
5.8 at 5.30 am. Woke with a splitting headache so no bike ride today. Off to folk festival for the weekend in deepest Wales, fingers crossed for dry and sunny as we will be in the camper van in a beautiful valley.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A really good 5.0 this morning. Shortly rushing out with the doggies, then take car in for service, walk back home then bus to local market town to have ears done - maybe by microsuction - then into Boots to buy some stuff I forgot to buy when I was in Norwich because I dropped my shopping list and couldn't remember what was on it.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 7.1

I said I gave it a good talking to because it wouldn’t come out of the 9’s

But that wasn’t the whole story...

I ate no carbs at all yesterday. I ate within a two and a half hour window in the morning. It was shorter than the usual 3 hour morning window because I had to go out to my foot appointment.

The foot appointment didn’t happen because they said there was no record of me being booked. So I was cross. Then I realised I had the appointment letter and showed her. So she checked again. Still no record of me being booked in. So I got a bit more annoyed and showed her the text message I had received the previous afternoon from them, less than 16 hours previously, reminding me to attend this foot appointment. So, by default, my foot appointment must be in the system somewhere.

So she goes away to talk to someone. Comes back with apologies. Doesn’t know what has happened. I still want to know how I can get a text reminder about an appointment which they say there is no record of on their computers.

She offers me an appointment for next Monday. I still have my stern annoyed face on. She is still trying to apologise.

I was psyched up for this appointment. So I nearly went a bit awol, in my mind over food. All I wanted was a loaf of sliced white bread and to toast the whole lot of it, and eat the pile of toast one after the other. It was realer than real in my mind. I don’t even have a toaster now. Since then my tummy began rumbling and grumbling, and still is.

I couldn’t get that delightful image of that pile of toast out of my mind yesterday.

Came home. But I wouldn’t let myself have anything to eat on a comfort basis, because that is what it was. I still stuck to my initial plan of having no more to eat until this morning. So that would work out a nearly 22 hour fast (which I haven’t broken yet, just having a black coffee).

I was upset about a message I have to pass on to someone today, so that disturbed me and kept me awake last night.

Anyway, before I went to bed I took my reading. I was in shock. It had gone down to 7.3.

Because I was awake in the night I did a couple more readings. A 6.5. Then a 6.1. So I was wondering what the dawn reading would bring. It was 7.1 like I said above.

Was it the fasting? Was it the no carbs? Was it the stern talking to?

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning citizens of Cummingsonia. Chairman Alexander went round 18 holes in 4 shots yesterday so expect extra hols soon. My fbg was 5.7 today - or not. It is hard to tell these post truth, tell the suckers anything days. Try as I may I can't spin that as an exciting programme leading to sunlight uplands. @Krystyna23040 brilliant buccaneering 5.0. @Muddy Cyclist hug for the merchant of doom and gloom headache but huzzah for seizing the global opportunity of the folk festival. Enjoy your day as much as you can. Many of you will be pleased to know I will probably be nil by keyboard for a while. Shocking price of Unicorn eggs these days.
Finally, I really appreciate all the good wishes and virtual support you guys have given me lately. Have this on me
God be gracious to you and bless you and make his face to shine upon you,

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. Today I am reunited with an old friend: 5.8. @gennepher thanks for the stern talking to very helpful. What a carry on with the foot clinic the least they could have done is slotted you in yesterday. No sense to it. @True Blue welcome back good news about the retinopathy letter and will be very interested to hear how the soda bread works out. I rely on one slice HiLo toast every day but a change would be good. @SaskiaKC hope your pains have disappeared? @ianpspurs wishing you all the best for tomo. Hugs.
Have a good Thursday everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning citizens of Cummingsonia. Chairman Alexander went round 18 holes in 4 shots yesterday so expect extra hols soon. My fbg was 5.7 today - or not. It is hard to tell these post truth, tell the suckers anything days. Try as I may I can't spin that as an exciting programme leading to sunlight uplands. @Krystyna23040 brilliant buccaneering 5.0. @Muddy Cyclist hug for the merchant of doom and gloom headache but huzzah for seizing the global opportunity of the folk festival. Enjoy your day as much as you can. Many of you will be pleased to know I will probably be nil by keyboard for a while. Shocking price of Unicorn eggs these days.
Thank you, headache improved after a dose of the hated pain killers, couple of peaceful hours in a chair and a strong black coffee, now to sort out the inside of the VW camper, hopefully not forgetting to pack anything useful.
@ianpspurs posted "Pleased to know I will probably be nil on keyboard for awhile" certainly not, you will be missed, wishing you all the best in yor absence.

Reactions: geefull and trick60