MS and type 1

Mmaabb

I am finding it very difficult to find anyone who has MS and type 1. I have had type 1 for about 5 years and in the last year have been diagnosed with MS with multiple symptoms and the link between the two seems to not been recorded much, Doctors do not seems to know both things and any knowledge would be helpful, thanks.

• Hug
Reactions: JAT1 and Peppergirl

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Mmaabb welcome to the forum! I found it very difficult to find others with MS too, when I was first diagnosed with RRMS three years ago. There are a few of us though... I've had the joy of T1D for 27 years and MS was a shock as I put all the symptoms - pins and needles, being 'clumsy' - down to T1D. I looked for links between both diseases and only found that as we already have T1D we're more susceptible to other autoimmune conditions. Neurologist and MS nurse were not particularly helpful in this regard unfortunately. Best to contact other ppl with MS on social media - I use Twitter - and forums like this. I found out SO much more!

Good luck with it all. FYI I've found the Shift MS forum really useful.

Best wishes

Mmaabb

Hi @Mmaabb welcome to the forum! I found it very difficult to find others with MS too, when I was first diagnosed with RRMS three years ago. There are a few of us though... I've had the joy of T1D for 27 years and MS was a shock as I put all the symptoms - pins and needles, being 'clumsy' - down to T1D. I looked for links between both diseases and only found that as we already have T1D we're more susceptible to other autoimmune conditions. Neurologist and MS nurse were not particularly helpful in this regard unfortunately. Best to contact other ppl with MS on social media - I use Twitter - and forums like this. I found out SO much more!

Good luck with it all. FYI I've found the Shift MS forum really useful.

Best wishes

Reactions: SueO246

Mmaabb

Thanks for the reply, I will try the forums you suggested.
I had very bad spasms in the whole left side of my body and terrible pain and had to lie down when having them( like having a seizure)before being diagnosed with MS last October and have been on multiple tablets to stop them and help with pains and anxiety since.
Didn't think I would ever say it but Type 1 is easy where you have some control, MS is alot worse with no control!

Reactions: Peppergirl

Trendkill

Diagnosed with RRMS April 2011 and T1D March 2016, similar situation where I assumed my symptoms were just changes in my MS. neither the ms or diabetic teams showed much interest in the other illness when I brought it up and still now it's hard to determine what illness to attribute my symptoms to at times. MS flare ups tend to throw my bg levels into disarray, especially where steroids are involved.

Reactions: SueO246

Mmaabb

Thanks for the reply 'trendkill' do you think if you make a mistake in insulin/food and blood sugar levels go high or low temporarily it affects your Ms symptoms which then seems to make it harder to get blood sugar levels under control. In that I mean you need more insulin that usual?

Mandeeleew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi! My name is Mandy and I have had T1D since 2008 and MS since 2014. It’s a roller coaster. I’d love to connect!

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Didn't think I would ever say it but Type 1 is easy where you have some control, MS is alot worse with no control!
I do not have MS, but I agree with your statement. My husband had MS. I learned a lot about the illness over the years when I was looking after him. There was no control. Some experimental drugs occasionally, but hit and miss with the neurologists, so it was hard. The MS nurse visited occasionally but she just chatted, no practical help at all, apart from he needed a wheelchair.
Best of luck.