What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 7.1

I said I gave it a good talking to because it wouldn’t come out of the 9’s

But that wasn’t the whole story...

I ate no carbs at all yesterday. I ate within a two and a half hour window in the morning. It was shorter than the usual 3 hour morning window because I had to go out to my foot appointment.

The foot appointment didn’t happen because they said there was no record of me being booked. So I was cross. Then I realised I had the appointment letter and showed her. So she checked again. Still no record of me being booked in. So I got a bit more annoyed and showed her the text message I had received the previous afternoon from them, less than 16 hours previously, reminding me to attend this foot appointment. So, by default, my foot appointment must be in the system somewhere.

So she goes away to talk to someone. Comes back with apologies. Doesn’t know what has happened. I still want to know how I can get a text reminder about an appointment which they say there is no record of on their computers.

She offers me an appointment for next Monday. I still have my stern annoyed face on. She is still trying to apologise.

I was psyched up for this appointment. So I nearly went a bit awol, in my mind over food. All I wanted was a loaf of sliced white bread and to toast the whole lot of it, and eat the pile of toast one after the other. It was realer than real in my mind. I don’t even have a toaster now. Since then my tummy began rumbling and grumbling, and still is.

I couldn’t get that delightful image of that pile of toast out of my mind yesterday.

Came home. But I wouldn’t let myself have anything to eat on a comfort basis, because that is what it was. I still stuck to my initial plan of having no more to eat until this morning. So that would work out a nearly 22 hour fast (which I haven’t broken yet, just having a black coffee).

I was upset about a message I have to pass on to someone today, so that disturbed me and kept me awake last night.

Anyway, before I went to bed I took my reading. I was in shock. It had gone down to 7.3.

Because I was awake in the night I did a couple more readings. A 6.5. Then a 6.1. So I was wondering what the dawn reading would bring. It was 7.1 like I said above.

Was it the fasting? Was it the no carbs? Was it the stern talking to?
Big drag about the foot appointment. Perhaps save that letter and text to take next time just in case they still don’t understand the word “administration”.
Nice readings though. Speculating that it was due to fasting (and therefore no carbs).

Reactions: HarryBeau

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.7 at 9:20 hmm Could be much better After all the thunderstorms here a bit cooler today , still raining this summer has been hot here i DK
IMG_1062.jpg

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A wonderful sunny sun thing lighting up some almost wispy clouds greeted me this morning - and then I turned 108 degrees - possibility of getting some more use out of my coat and wellies later today.

The wonder wheel dithering about like an embarrassment and confusion of parliamentarians and a 5.2 was leaked to the web due, in part, to the proroguing of food intake by late afternoon.

The grandchildren are back today for a last, short visit. Mrs Miggins has caravan turn rounds tomorrow and then we will all be off to Birmingham to return them to their nests. Looking at my secondary brain I can see that next week includes several exciting highlights; diabetic eye clinic (oh joy), PPG meeting about our new Primary Care Network (caffeine at the ready) and then, joy of joys, helping to herd circa 1200 patients towards a phalanx of nurses armed with stabby things for annual flue jabs. I have been given this helpful training video as part of my continuing professional development.

Have a great day if you can, slight possibility of warming your fur if the sun does it’s stuff.

Last edited:

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Morening and a hurried one today, the grandchildren are attending for a sleepover and Mrs J is flapping around and has full nag mode engaged so it's head down and run like the wind.
Oh and a 6.8 this morning.

Good luck folks, avoid Mrs J if you can..

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A wonderful sunny sun thing lighting up some almost wispy clouds greeted me this morning - and then I turned 108 degrees - possibility of getting some more use out of my coat and wellies later today.

The wonder wheel dithering about like an embarrassment and confusion of parliamentarians and a 5.2 was leaked to the web due, in part, to the proroguing of food intake by late afternoon.

The grandchildren are back today for a last, short visit. Mrs Miggins has caravan turn rounds tomorrow and then we will all be off to Birmingham to return them to their nests. Looking at my secondary brain I can see that next week includes several exciting highlights; diabetic eye clinic (oh joy), PPG meeting about our new Primary Care Network (caffeine at the ready) and then, joy of joys, helping to herd circa 1200 patients towards a phalanx of nurses armed with stabby things for annual flue jabs. I have been given this helpful training video as part of my continuing professional development.

Have a great day if you can, slight possibility of warming your fur if the sun does it’s stuff.

Brilliant use of video..:D:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Reactions: HarryBeau

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

@dunelm where did you obtain the video of the naff Trump tribute act giving new powers for Headteachers to deal with noisy children? Supposed to be hush, hush but I assume that was a Telegraph exclusive.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm where did you obtain the video of the naff Trump tribute act giving new powers for Headteachers to deal with noisy children? Supposed to be hush, hush but I assume that was a Telegraph exclusive.
It was leaked from a drain at the back of number 10; fished out of the other slime and telegraphed to some hack masquerading as a reporter.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm where did you obtain the video of Cummings stooges giving new powers for Headteachers to deal with noisy children? Supposed to be hush, hush but I assume that was a Telegraph exclusive.
It actually was a training video for Polling Station Officials before the great referendum.....(no political bias intended, just could not resist the relationship to one cross and freedom)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-po...-hunt-tories-will-be-crucified-without-brexit

Reactions: ianpspurs

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @jjraak - I just need to fashion some sort of Roman medico look for a week on Saturday.
Guess what we get @dunelm when we go for a flu jab?

There is coffee and tea laid on (you put some money in for charity), and an array of amazing buttercream cakes...

The (my) diabetic nurse said last year (she flu jabbed me) when I told her I couldn't have any cakes, she said to me, nonsense of course you can you are allowed a treat for the flu jab...

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

There is coffee and tea laid on (you put some money in for charity), and an array of amazing buttercream cakes...

The (my) diabetic nurse said last year (she flu jabbed me) when I told her I couldn't have any cakes, she said to me, nonsense of course you can you are allowed a treat for the flu jab...

I put funny but of course it is quite sad. We don’t do the tea and cake thing. When I was stationed in Germany, the German Red Cross used to set up the gymnasium for blood donations and they always supplied a pretty good buffet to say thank you.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: DJC3

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

@gennepher I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I read this. I am sitting here shaking my head in disbelief.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I put funny but of course it is quite sad. We don’t do the tea and cake thing. When I was stationed in Germany, the German Red Cross used to set up the gymnasium for blood donations and they always supplied a pretty good buffet to say thank you.

There should be an icon @dunelm @Krystyna23040 for "speechless" or "stupid"...

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

The grocery store pharmacy here does bribery. Let the pharmacist give you a flu shot and they'll give you a $10 gift card for groceries.

Oh ... BTW... FBG 6.6 this morning. I finally started to feel better last night after taking a couple of ibuprofen; slept well; then this morning the burning pain started back again. Prayer seems to work as well as the OTC meds; maybe another day without coffee will help too.

This has been the longest week in recent history ... and it's still only Thursday.

Reactions: Krystyna23040